Search for content in message boards

James Tufts and Hannah Woodman

James Tufts and Hannah Woodman

Posted: 30 May 2011 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tufts, Woodman
I am seeking information on James Tufts and Hannah Woodman. I am a descendant through their daughter, Elizabeth Tufts (b. 31 Jul 1681 in Beverly, MA).

I have seen much of what appears to be false information on the couple. Every website I've seen states that James was born in 1681 in MA, Hannah was born in 1669 in MA, and they married on 1 Jul 1696 in Wells, ME. I find all of this to be highly unlikely. It doesn't make sense for a couple from Massachusetts to marry in Maine when they have no family there. I also find it disturbing that a 27-year-old woman would marry a 15-year-old boy. It seems like a transcription error (or several) may have been at fault here.

I would appreciate any accurate information I can get.

Re: James Tufts and Hannah Woodman

Posted: 31 May 2011 4:03AM GMT
According to "Tufts Kinsmen" this James was born in 1670 and was a soldier at Fort Saco in ME(then MA)After his generation, many spelled their name Tuffs. I have a public tree you should be able to see and there is a story on the confusion between this james and his cousin, james the son of Jonathan. most records have these switched. That publication is available.

Posted: 31 May 2011 6:44PM GMT
Thank-you so much! I really appreciate the help =)

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 3:03AM GMT
did that clear it up for you?

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Woodman
It cleared up the lineage, but some of the dates in the tree you mentioned are confusing me. Hannah Woodman's death date, for example, would make her 119.

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 11:14PM GMT
I have corrected that date. It should be 1747/8. If you are interested you may order the definitive reference at tuftskinsmenbook@gmail.com please view my tree with skepticism. I try and keep evrything accurate but always confirm. The story of James, the grandson of Peter (1) is an interesting one as his father was killed at bloody brook in Deerfield and he was raised (eventaully) in his Uncle Peter jr's home then had his family in the wilderness of NH and MA and like I said, most of his descendents spelled their name Tuffs. send me a note at ttuftsy@comcast.net if you need more info rather than this forum
per page

Find a board about a specific topic