Search for content in message boards

Convert MAC paf files to gedcom

Convert MAC paf files to gedcom

Posted: 18 May 2010 5:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have 2 small Mac paf files that I need to convert to gedcom. Is there anybody that would be able and willing to help me with this if I emailed the files to you.

Re: Convert MAC paf files to gedcom

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 3:32PM GMT
Did you ever find anyone to create the gedcom files for you? I can convert them for you if you haven't already found someone to do it.

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 5:19PM GMT
It should the the same as window PAF. Click on File, then export, then you have several options and gedcom is one of them.

Posted: 14 Oct 2011 9:41PM GMT
Mac PAF files have a different format then Windows PAF files. The only program I am aware of that knows how to read a Mac PAF file is Personal Ancestral File for Macintosh. The difficulty is finding a copy of Personal Ancestral File for Macintosh and a platform it will run on (as it was written for the classic Mac OS). If you solve those two problems then you can open your file in Personal Ancestral File for the Macintosh and export it to a GEDCOM file and import into another program. There are several ways to solve the platform problem. Solving the problem of locating a copy of Personal Ancestral File for the Macintosh is more difficult. I have both the environment and program necessary to open Mac PAF files and I am willing to help if needed.

Posted: 18 Dec 2011 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: PAF to GEDCOM
Hello! I purchased a Mac computer after years with a PC. I had FTM2008 installed on my PC before it died. Fortunately, I saved my family tree files onto an external memory, but now that I have the Mac, I am unable to use the files because they were saved as paf files. I just purchased FTM for Mac v2, and see that it will not import anything but a gedcom file. Also, I had terrible issues with the program, as it froze up my computer and even caused problems with the internet! I have uninstalled it and am very disappointed. I want to find a program, perhaps Reunion, but I think I still need gedcom files. Would you be willing to try converting one of my several paf files to gedcom, then if it works, might I ask you to do the others? I have about 6 different files, as I have done my own, my husband, and several friends' family trees!
Thank you for any help you might be willing to offer! I'd hate to lose/not be able to use all the data I've accumulated over 15 years of research.

Julie S.

Posted: 18 Dec 2011 7:45PM GMT
If you will email me the PAF file, I will convert it to a GEDCOM and email it back to you. Email me at yahoo.com; my address is djbethers.

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: paf to gedcom
Thank you for your kind offer. After I wrote before, I managed to get into my old PC, (even though all sorts of error messages popped up) and was able to convert the old files into gedcom in my FTM 2008, then save them to a flash drive. I wasn't sure it would work because that old computer freezes, etc. so I was relieved I was able to do it. Again, thank you! I am now up and running with my new FTM for Mac and all seems to be running fine.
Julie S.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions