Search for content in message boards

Hospodar publication

Hospodar publication

Posted: 20 Jun 2004 12:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 May 2005 7:34PM GMT
Does anyone know information about this publication?
I know that my Great Grandfather's, Anthony (Tony) Brezina, obituary was listed in 1960.
Justine Brezina-Bachman

Re: Hospodar publication

Karel Fous (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2004 8:50PM GMT
I not understand the beg, Justine. Which publication do you mean? Hospodar is ordinary Czech word which means >farmer< or >housekeeper<. Write me more at my mail.
Karel

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 3:20PM GMT
Surnames: Brezina
Your email address bounces

Posted: 1 May 2013 7:57PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2013 7:59PM GMT
This newspaper was published in the Midwest US to promote farming among Czechs. It might even have originated in Omaha. I have some old issues at home. It is a tribute to the education of our ancestors that the articles were fairly technical, about various state-of-the-art techniques. There's a reason Czech farmers were good: continuing education. I have several older issues that I bought off ebay from someone in Wilber, Nebraska.

One of its columns was by Frank Mares, who in the 1890s visited many locations in Nebraska and Kansas, and took a poll of all the Czechs he could find, and listed where they came from. Margie Sobotka of Omaha (Elkhorn area now) compiled these in the 1980s. Not only do we have a substitute for the missing 1890 census, we have a list of villages where the immigrants came from.

Older issues featured questions from readers. Sometimes a fairly long letter would be published. One from a Czech in my home county, Rawlins County, Kansas, runs more than one column long.

I think the paper is available on microfilm at the Nebraska State Historical Society in Lincoln, NE, but I could be mistaken.

Yes, Hospodar means farmer.

Posted: 2 May 2013 2:33PM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2013 2:43PM GMT
I checked at home, and scanned the publishing info and attached it. I only have issues from about 1912 to about 1924. The editor/publisher was Jan Rosicky of Omaha. His daughter, Rose, wrote the much-quoted History of Czechs in Nebraska.

The audience was not just from the midwest; letters in each issue were from the eastern US, southwest US, and even from the Czech regions in Europe.

In the attachment, note a typical story on the right about a Mrs. Marie Skrivanek who with her three children, Edna 9, Josef 7, and Anna 5 years old, appear to have arrived on the ship "Neckar" going from Bremen to New York.
Attachments:

Posted: 2 May 2013 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: Brezina
Thank you for the back ground.

Do you have any Brezina's or Yaros/Jaros

My Great Grandparents were Antun/Anthony Brezina and Justine/Justina Jaros Brezina

Posted: 3 May 2013 12:28AM GMT
I have not gone through them yet, so I don't know. I will contact you offline.

Posted: 3 May 2013 10:11AM GMT
Thank you, I greatly appreciate your assistance

Posted: 11 May 2013 12:08PM GMT
I was at a conference in Lincoln and went to the Nebraska State Historical Society next door over lunch and photoed the actual obit. There weren't any other Brezinas in Margie Sobotka'a index, but there was a Jaros. This might be relevant because he was located in Pennsylvania, like your Brezina line. Attached.

With the clue from the obit that Anton arrived here in 1900, I did find one record in Ancestry, arrived 23 Nov 1900 in New York on the Kaiser Wilhelm. If this is your Anton, his brother appears to be Johann. Lines 19-20. The record does continue to the next page, but there's no real info there. Also attached. It will be interesting to see how the more skilled readers transcribe the place of origin. I can only decipher about 3 letters in the name.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic