Search for content in message boards

Wells from Virginia

Wells from Virginia

Posted: 26 Jul 2004 7:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells
ISO: Wells from the MD/VA area; does anyone know is this family is connected to the Wells family in Utah (Daniel Wells) or any other Mormon/LDS connections?

Re: Wells from Virginia

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 2:30AM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2005 6:08PM GMT
Hi Debbie... The Daniel Wells (of Mormon fame) was from the Connecticut group (descended fron Governor Thomas) and I know of no connection to the Wells family of VA/MD

Debbie Champ Finelli (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2004 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: Wells
Thanks for the input, saves me lots of digging...just was currious. Deb

Mike Wells (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 7:08PM GMT
Hi Debbie,
My name is Mike Wells, I am from Vance County North Carolina. I am looking for information on Benjamin Wells, he was born around 1820 in Mecklenburg County Virginia. He married Catherine Minerva Harris. She was born on the Isle of Wright in Virginia. If you could give me some information on Benjamin it would be greatly appreciated, I have hit a brick wall with him. I think he moved to Warren County North Carolina, sometime around 1850 but I am not sure.

Mike Wells (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 7:18PM GMT
Hi Larry,
My name is Mike Wells. I am from Vance County North Carolina. I am looking for information on Benjamin Wells, I think he was born around 1820 in Mecklenburg County Virginia. He was married to Catherine Minervia Harris, she was born on the Isle of Wright in Virginia. He later moved to Warren County North Carolina something around 1850 I think. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated

Posted: 30 Jul 2004 1:45PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2005 6:08PM GMT
Hi Mike,

Sorry but I have no information on that particular family. By 1820 my line had left NC and was living in IN and IL.

Posted: 26 May 2010 2:16AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Wells, Arnold, Butler, Merryman, Talbot, Walters
Hi - I just joined Ancestry.com and saw your posting. My Uncle William Anderson Wells did geneology research when he retired and gathered loads of info on the Wells. He is almost 92 and, several years ago, donated his research information to Bethany College in Bethany, WVA. He also published a book called "The Ancestors, Life, Times and Descendants of Ephraim Wells (1675-1988)". The following is info on various Benjamin Wells that may be ancestors and aid you in your research from that book:

Benjamin Wells (b 11/7/1724) to Charles and Sarah Arnold Wells who were married in 1722 (also had son Charles 7/7/172?). Benjamin married Temperance Butler in 1743. They had 9 children: Benjamin, Jr. (m. Mary Merryman), Nicholas, Achsah (m. Richard Talbot), Amon, William, Caleb, Sarah (m. Phillip Walters), Charles and Absalom. Benjamin died 2/16/1795 in Wheeling, WVa. In his will he leaves his "...son Benjamin Wells of Baltimore Town all my lands in Baltimore Co., State of Maryland..."
The reference to his will is "Ohio Co., WVa, Will Book 1, page 28, Nov 26, 1794."

I am a decendent of Benjamin's brother, Charles. FYI, Wheeling WVa is very close to Bethany College.

Hope this helps.

Betsy Stone

Posted: 26 May 2010 3:01AM GMT
It is my understanding that Sarah Arnold was a widow of Anthony ARNOLD and her maiden surname was WRIGHT, daughter of John.

Posted: 26 May 2010 3:05AM GMT
I am working on the project to merge lineages from all the participants of the WELLS Surname DNA Study http://www.wells.org ... I do not see a Ephraim b: 1675 in the database so now I am curious if we might have another DNA line. Are you a biological WELLS and if yes, would your father agree to doing a genealogy DNA test?

Posted: 26 May 2010 3:09AM GMT
I don't see a Benjamin and his wife Cath. Minerva Harris in the Wells DNA Study merge database. Have you participated in the Wells Surname DNA Study? If not, I would encourage you to do so. The coordinator is Orin Wells and you cen send him a message from his website http://www.wells.org ... if you would contact me off line with some desc of Benjamin and Catherine, I will check to see if there is a connection lower.

Bonita ladybonita at usa dot com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions