Search for content in message boards

McCracken Carr

McCracken Carr

Donald T Wolfe (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2004 12:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCracken Carr
Hello all I'm searching for som information on my gr gr grandparents David Carr and Adeline McCracken.
David Carr b. abt 1856 possibly Texas
Adeline McCracken b. abt 1860 Arkansas

after their marriage David and Adeline moved into the I.T and had 10 children starting with the 1st Silas Nathanial in 1881 and the last Dan Boone Carr in 1905. Most of the children were born in ether Brooken or Lenna I.T David passed away in 1907 and Adeline in 1910. It has been said David was of Choctaw descent. They both spent the majority of their lives in the Creek Nation I.T and help would be greatly appreciated

Re: McCracken Carr

Linda Davenport (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2004 10:46AM GMT
This family is not my direct line but here's what I have in my files. Most of this information was given to me by family members or other McCracken researchers so you will need to follow up with original sources.
Adeline McCracken was the daughter of Samuel Marion McCracken (b) ca 1830 in TN and Nancy Nipps. Adeline's siblings (as far as I know) were: Martha (m Jones Osborn), Mary Jane (m William Daniel King), Eslam (m Kathe King), Eli Henry (m 1 Belle Osborn, 2 Emily Allen Lewallen -this is my direct line), Martha T (m Jones Garrison Osborn), Margaret L (m Lewis Osborn) and Ellen (no marriage information).
The family story is that Nancy Nipps died when Eli Henry was small and he was raised by his uncle Thomps McCracken. I don't have a name for Samuel's 2nd wife. Eli Henry was born in Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co TN and he is listed on the Marion Co AR 1880 census.
Eli Henry moved his family to Indian Territory Sept 1897 to Stidham and then after Christmas 1897 to Enterprise I.T. Per family stories Eli Henry was the first one of the McCrackens to move to I.T. and I've never heard any mention of any of his siblings moving when he moved so perhaps your David Carr move later.
Samuel Marion McCracken was the son of Elam G W McCracken (b) ca 1800 in NC and Algencie Maxey (b) ca 1801 in VA.
If you'd like any additional information please let me know.
Linda

Rita Foster Wallace (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2004 2:58PM GMT
Surnames: McCRACKEN, PACE, YOCHAM, CHAPPELLE, FEE, NOE
Have you checked out the Family Genealogies on the Marion County website? Here is the URL:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~armarion/familylines/ehmccracken.ht...

Another group of McCrackens moved from Tennessee into Marion County, AR about the same time as Samuel Marion McCracken. Have not connected them but would be interested in any information that would help clarify the relationship between the two McCracken families that moved to Marion County.

Carrie Davison (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2004 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: Nipps
Does anyone know the names of Nancy Nipps' parents? I am a descendant of Aaron Nipps who was born in TN and moved to Ozark Co., MO. Some of the family lived in Marion Co., AR., in the 1840s and 1850s. I have not been able to trace his ancestors in TN. I think his parents were John and Dorothy Nipps and that he died in Carroll Co., TN, in 1832. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 29 Dec 2004 7:30PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2005 12:14AM GMT
I'm a researcher for Marion Co AR and the Historic Genealogical Society of Marion Co AR. Here's what I can tell you from my records.

The MCAR 1860 Federal Census for Jimmys Creek Township.
S M McCracken aged 30 b TN.
Kezziah aged 29 b MS.
John T aged 5 b AR.
George A. aged 2 b AR.
Eli H aged 6 b AR.
Mary J aged 4 b AR.
Martha T aged 2 b AR.
Margarette A aged 1 b AR.

Samuel Marion "S M" McCracken is the son of Elam and Jane "Gencie" (Maxey) McCracken b TN 1830.

Kezziah is Samuel's 2nd wife. Her last name is unknown. His first wife was Nancy Jane Nipps (daughter of Elijah Nipps and his first wife, name unknown) b ca 1840.

The first two children listed, John T and George A, are Kezziah's by her first husband.

The next four children are Samuel's by his first wife, Nancy Jane Nipps, who died in childbirth 1858/9 with daughter Margarette A McCracken. [NOTE: The "A stands for Adeline.]

Both Samuel and Kezziah died before 1870.

The MCAR 1870 Federal Census for Jimmies Creek Township.
Elam McCracken aged 70 b NC.
Jane aged 70 b VA.
Mary Lantz aged 21 b TN.
Eli McCracken 13 b AR.
Mary Jane aged 12 b AR.
Martha aged 10 b AR.
Margaretta aged 9 b AR.
Elam aged 8 b AR.

Mary Susan Lantz b MO 1854 is the daughter of Jane McCracken (daughter of Elam and Jane) and Nicholas Lantz.

Eli Henry McCracken is the son of Samuel Marion and Nancy Jane (Nipps) McCracken b MCAR Dec 1854.

Mary Jane McCracken is the daughter of Samuel Marion and Nancy Jane (Nipps) McCracken b MCAR Dec 1855.

Martha Tennessee McCracken is the daughter of Samuel Marion & Nancy Jane (Nipps) b MCAR April 1957.

Margarette Adeline McCracken is the daughter of Samuel Marion and Nancy Jane (Nipps) McCracken b MCAR 1858/9. Her mother died when she was born.

Elam S McCracken is the son of Samuel Marion and Kezziah (___) McCracken b MCAR 1862.

Sorry I don't know anything about David Carr - there seems to be no record of him in MCAR, but hope the rest of this is helpful to you.

Mysty

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 3:14AM GMT
Thanks so very much Mysty...I finally see the Maxey connection and some family history..
Todd

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 3:19AM GMT
Thanks very much...Its kinda confusing...Margaretta A McCracken b. abt 1858-59 and Adeline McCracken b. 1860? Same father different mothers..born about the same time?

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 6:41AM GMT
The US Congress decides what information will be enurmerated in each census and, realizing this information takes several months to gather, also decides as of what date the information will be taken. This means that, although the enumerator may not be at a specific location on the date specified, the information must be *as of* the date decided by Congress.

The 1860 census was specified to be taken as of 1 June 1860. This means that all information included by the enumerator must have occurred *before* 1 June 1860.

The data on the Samuel Marion McCracken family in the 1860 census was undoubtedly given by Samuel himself since he is the Head of Household. He states that Margarette A [Adeline] was 1 year old as of 1 June 1860 (and not yet 2 years old). Therefore, Margarette A [Adeline] McCracken was born after 1 June 1858 and before 1 June 1859. In other words, to have been 1 year old as of 1 June 1860, Margarette A [Adeline] had to have been born between 1 June 1858 and 1 June 1859. A father usually knows when his children were born and how old they are at any given time, right? Especially when his wife undoubtedly died during or as a result of the birth of one of the children - in this case Margarette A {Adeline].

The information given to the enumerator for the 1870 census was undoubtedly provided by Elam G W McCracken who was Head of Household. He is 70 years old, as is his wofe. He's reporting about a bunch of grandchildren - not his own children - and probably has no frame of reference to refer to (such as the date of the death of a daughter or daughter-in-law in childbirth). You'll notice that the ages he gives to the grandchildren living with him do not agree precisely with the dates given by their father in 1860.

You'll also notice on the 1870 census that the only child born to Samuel Marion and his 2nd wife, Kezziah ___, is Elam S McCracken who is listed as aged 8. This means that he was born somewhere around 1860 to 1862 - long after Nancy Jane (Nipps) McCracken died. His father was serving in the Civil War around that time having enlisted 8 July 1861 and "deserted" 25 July 1862 (the term "deserted" is misleading because it merely means that a soldier was not present for some roll calls and, that after missing 2 or 3 or so, was listed as having deserted. He may also have been killed around that date - or just gone home to plant a crop or to see his new child).

Hope this clears up some of your confusion.

Mysty

Donald T.Wolfe (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2005 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: McCracken Carr
hello Carrie...there seems to be a little mystry about who my gr gr grandmothers mother was...the 2 names I have are.Peggy Day Nipps or nancy Nipps. I will ask some relatives if they have any furthur info on the Nipps family.

Posted: 21 Jan 2005 5:20AM GMT
This is all the information I have. In the draft for the book "Genealogies of Marion Co AR Families 1811-1900, A Sequel" which has not yet been published.

NANCY JANE NIPPS (daughter of Elijah Nipps) b MCAR 1838/40 d prob MCAR ca 1858/9 m SAMUEL MARION "S. M." McCRACKEN (son of Elam G. W. & Jane “Gencie” [Maxey] McCracken) b TN ca 1830 d bef 1870. He m/2 Kezziah ___.

SAMUEL MARION “S. M.” McCRACKEN b TN ca 1830 d bef 1870 m/1 NANCY JANE NIPPS (daughter of Elijah Nipps) b
1840 d prob MCAR ca 1858/9 prob in childbirth; m/2 ca 1859/60 KEZZIAH ___ b MS 1831/2 d bef 1870. Kezziah’s children John T. ___ b AR 1855 and George A. ___ b AR 1858 are living with them in Jimmies Creek Township 1860. S. M. enlisted at Yellville 8 July 1861 in Co. A, 14th AR Infantry CSA, deserted 25 July 1862.

Children of Samuel Marion “S. M.” & Nancy Jane (Nipps) McCracken
ELI HENRY McCRACKEN b MCAR 28 Aug 1854 d Seminole, Okmulgee Co. OK 1 Jan 1933 m/1 ISABEL C. “Belle”
OSBORNE (daughter of William & Elizabeth Matilda [Parker] Osborne) b MCAR 1859/60 d MCAR 8 Feb 1888; m/2
MCAR 19 Dec 1888 EMILY ANGELINE (ALLEN) LEWALLEN (daughter of John & Elizabeth [Vance] Allen, widow of
Charles G. Lewallen) b Flippin 26 March 1861 d Bronson, Bourbon Co. KS 25 May 1924 bu Henrietta OK. He is living
with grandparents Elam G. W. & Gencie (Maxey) McCracken in 1870. Living alone in Jimmies Creek Township 1880.
Moved to Indian Territory 1897.
MARY JANE McCRACKEN b MCAR 8 Dec 1855 m MCAR 5 Feb 1876 WILLIAM DANIEL KING (son of Robert
"Bobbie" & Matilda [Bell] King) b TN 10 June 1852 d MCAR 19 Feb 1924 bu Fairview Cemetery. She is living with
grandparents Elam G. W. & Jane “Jencie” (Maxey) McCracken in 1870. They are in Little North Fork Township
1880, 1900 with children Daniel B. King b 16 Sep 1876; Rufus P. King b 14 Dec 1878; William Ambrose King
b 20 Feb 1882; Sara King b 1891.
MARTHA TENNESSEE McCRACKEN b MCAR 23 April 1857 d MCAR 3 May 1920 m MCAR JONAS GARRISON
“Jonesie” OSBORNE (son of William Wiley & Elizabeth Matilda [Parker] Osborne) b Rutherford Co. TN 4 Dec 1858 d
MCAR 7 Feb 1916. She is living with grandparents Elam & Gencie McCracken in 1870.
MARGARETTA ADELINE McCRACKEN b MCAR 1858/9 m DAVID CARR. She is living with grandparents Elam G.
W. & Jane “Jencie” McCracken in 1860 and 1870.

Children of Samuel Marion “S. M.” & Kezziah (___) McCracken
ELAM S. McCRACKEN b MCAR 1862 m MCAR 28 Jan 1888 MARY CATHERINE “Kathy” KING (daughter of Robert
“Bobbie” & Letha Jane [Cantrell] [Akin] King) b MCAR ca 1870. He is living with grandparents Elam G. W. & Jane
“Jencie” McCracken in 1870. He is a border in the William G. & Elizabeth [McCracken] Parker household in Jimmys
Creek Township 1880.

This is the only "Peggy" Nipps I know of.

MARGARET RAGAN "Peggy" NIPPS (daughter of John & Dorothy [___] Nipps) b TN 1831 d MCAR Feb 1854 m ca 1850 PUGH C. ANDERSON (widower of ___; widower of Catherine "Katie" [Brown] Magness) b TN ca 1810 d MCAR 13 Nov 1875/15 Dec 1880. Caroline Nipps 14 b AR
and Susan Nipps 7 b AR, daughters of Elijah Nipps, are living with them in Sugar Loaf Township 1850.

Most of the Nipps information comes from David Nipps who lives in England AR. The remainder comes from the first book, "Genealogies of Marion Co Families 1811-1900" pub 1997 by the Marion Co AR Geneogical Society.

Hope this helps with your dilemma.

Mysty shakerag@mtnhome.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic