Search for content in message boards

Belgian colonization- Santo Tomas, Guatemala

Belgian colonization- Santo Tomas, Guatemala

Dawn Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2006 4:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kuylen- Hannuth
Does anyone have information about the Belgian colony of Santo Tomas, Guatemala? I just found out my family emmigrated there from Belgium. They, the Kuylen family, arrived there in 1844. They travelled on the ship "Jean Van Eyck " My other family, the Hannuth family, arrived there in 1850. They travelled there in the ship, "Norma " I cannot find any information on these ships as to there port of departure, passenger lists, etc. Would appreciate any help. Thanks
Dawn

Re: Belgian colonization- Santo Tomas, Guatemala

Olbrechts (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2006 3:09PM GMT
Hi

I have just found the trace of Mr Jean Kuylen, 45 years old "négociant et planteur", arrived in Santo Tomas on the 5th of March 1844.
I have found that in a book called "Historique de la colonisation belge à Santo Tomas", Nicolas Leysbeth.

Regards,

Olivier Olbrechts
BELGIUM

Posted: 3 Oct 2006 1:15AM GMT
Hello Olivier,
Thank you for your response and the information you provided. I will try and get a copy of the book.
Best regards,
Dawn

Olbrechts (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2006 6:17AM GMT
Hi,

you are welcome. If you don't find the book on the Internet, I can purchase it for you at the flea market nearby.

Best regards,

Olivier

Posted: 3 Oct 2006 3:32PM GMT
Hello,
Thanks, that is real nice of you to offer. I'll check the internet and get back to you.
Best regards,
Dawn

Posted: 5 Oct 2006 5:19AM GMT
How much would this book cost at the flea market and do you live in the USA , as then postage would be another issue. I saw various prices on the internet ranging from $30.00 U.S to $66.00 US. so Iam kind of baffled by the discrepency in price.
Best regards,
Dawn

Olbrechts (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2006 7:24AM GMT
Hi!

The price on the flee market is 50 EUR (I am living in Brussels). So I guess it will be cheaper via the Internet.

Best regards,

Olivier

Posted: 5 Oct 2006 3:46PM GMT
Olivier,
Thanks anyhow for offering.
Bye,
Dawn

R. Ansiaux (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 3:00PM GMT
I saw your request and the conversation relative to Leysbeth. I have the Leysbeth book but others may be more useful. I have just finished some work on Belgian colonial attempts in this period. The best overview of the colony is a dissertation by Ora-Westley Schwemmer on the Belgian colonization compamy of Santo Tomas. It can be down loaded from a dissertation database if you are attending a school that subscribes to it. Marc LaFontaines book "L'Enfer Belge de Santo Tomas, Le Reve Colonial Brise de Leopold I" is also easier to read but is in French. I also looked in Patrick Maselis's book "From the Azores to New Zealand," not availabe in the US but it lists "Kuylen, Amelia and family...(from) Kapellen... Van Eyck... 1844," also "Hannuth, Eliza and family... also Kapellen... Theodore...1844". Kapellen is in Belgium about 10 kilometers north of Antwerp (Anvers).

Hope this is helpful
Bob Ansiaux

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 12:48AM GMT
Hello Bob,
Thank you for your response and your suggestions.. I will see what I can do about obtaining the dissertation by Ora-Westley Schwemmer. I was able to obtain information from Patrick Maselis. Amelia was my great- great-greatgrandaunt. Eliza Hannuth was my great-great grandmother. Eliza actually went there in 1850 with her father and siblings. They had actually left Pommern aboard the Norma to settle on the Mosquito Coast. A lot of the group died. They were abondoned at Punta Gorda, British Honduras and were able to travel on to the Belgian colony of Santo Tomas, where they settled. Eliza's father and her siblings all died within a few months of arriving there. She eventually married my great great grandfather a Belgian, and Amelia's nephew, Karel Eugenius Jojannes Kuylen as he was called there. In belgium he was known as Joannes Carolus Kuylen. Any books that mention them , I try to get my hands on so as to get a better idea of how they lived. I am doing my family tree and hope to supplement with as much detail as i can find about their life. So I do appreciate the time you took and the suggestions you made as to the books.
Best regards,
Dawn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic