Search for content in message boards

David Bay, Co. M, Illinois 4th Cavalry

David Bay, Co. M, Illinois 4th Cavalry

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 12:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bay
David Bay served in the above military unit during the Civil War. He died of disease in Cincinnati, Ohio on March 28, 1862 and is buried in Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati. Records indicate that he was from Green River IL which I believe is/was an unincorporated area of Henry Co., IL.
While I do have a Bay line in my family history, I have not been able to place where this David falls in the family. Can anyone help with his parentage?

Re: David Bay, Co. M, Illinois 4th Cavalry

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 1:12AM GMT
My gggrandfather was Russell B. Bay. He had an older brother Named David S. Bay. Both were born in Champaign County, Ohio. David married Delila Scott on 6 June 1850 in Wapello County, Iowa. His first wife was Jane Robinson & they married 18 October 1838 in Warren County, Illinois where this Bay family lived at the time. She passed 31 August 1847 and is buried at Berwick Cemetery, Warren County,Illinois. David's children was John M.,Joseph Scott,Mary E., and Samuel L.They are on the 1850 Fed Census Des Moine, Iowa. Father was Robert Bay,mother was Mary McCann. Russel returned to Warren County, Illinois and David also left Iowa but I have never located he and family on any census after 1850. I cannot tell you that this is the David that you have queried. Don Bay

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 11:53PM GMT
Thanks for the comment---something to look into though my first thought is that the David you mention seems like he could be a bit old to have served in the Civil War as a private (though I suppose there were plenty of men who did.).

I am descended from Robert Bay's daughter Mary Jane who I believe was a half sister of your Russell.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Bay, Richardson, Newman, Robinson, Cussins, Jacob
I have a David William Bay born 1809 in Ohio. Have been looking for ancestors for him. my email is davidsonberna@msn.com.

Re: David Bay born 1809 Ohio

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 10:07PM GMT
Are you referring to David Bay who married 10 December 1829 to Mary Robinson,and then on 22 June 1837 (both in Allen County, Indiana) to Mary Ann Newman?

Tommy L. West, _Some Members of the 18th Century Colonial American Bay Family (Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, Inc., 2004), identifies him as the son of James Bay.

Specifically, James and his son William are in 1820 Shelby County, Ohio. William's War of 1812 pension file lists an affidavit of Horney Robinson in support of the widow's claim $43726. It was stated that he knew William Bay and his brothers John, David, Joseph and his sister Ibbie.

James is the James born ca. 1766 on my page:
http://home.netcom.com/~fzsaund/bay.html

Rick Saunders

Re: David Bay born 1809 Ohio

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 10:39PM GMT
From what I can tell from the Dr. Tommy West book index, the David Bay you mention (marrried to Mary Robinson and Mary Newman) died in 1893. My David died while in Civil War service. But thanks---I had forgotten about this source book so will try to review it more closely for clues.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 10:42PM GMT
See the reply from Frederic---mightt be a match
per page

Find a board about a specific topic