Search for content in message boards

Frederick Krouse/ Jacob Crouse Centre PA

Frederick Krouse/ Jacob Crouse Centre PA

Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2004 11:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crouse/Krouse/Kraus
I am trying to learn about the Frederick Crouse that shows up in Centre Co., PA in the early 1800's.
From the Birth and Baptism Register Brush Valley Union Church, Rebersburg, PA 1792-1855 this is what I find;

Grauss
Joh. Freid. and Sus.Margretha- son
Joh. Jacob, born 29 Dec. 1798 sp. Joh. Jacob Berry and Christina.

Grauss
John Freid. and Sus. Margretha-dau
Hannah, born 5 Feb. 1800 sp. Joh. Georg Haman &wife

Kraus, Friederich and wife Susanna
Johannes, born 25 Mar. 1802, bap. 28 Mar. 1802
sp. Wilhelm Kriegbaum and wife Maria Catharina

Kraus, Joh. Friederich and wife Susanna
Peter, born 29 Jun 1804, bap. 22 July 1804
sp. Bernard Hesel and wife Anna Maria

Kraus, Joh. Friederich and wife Susanna Margaretha
Samuel, born 6 Feb. 1807, bap. 8 Mar 1807
sp. Joh. Weckerly and wife Maria

I found the wife and Mother Susannah in the 1810 and 1820 Census of Miles Twp., Centre County.

Later the children started having children- and same church records.

Graus, Jacob and wife Lydia (my line)
Johannes, born 17 Feb. 1827, bap., 1 April 1827
sp. Adam Cramly and wife Maria

Kraus, Peter and Rebecca
Isaac, born 1 Oct. 1827, bapt. 2 Dec. 1827
sp. Samuel Kraus

Graus, Samuel and Elizabeth
Thomas, born 29 Aug. 1828, bapt. 19 Oct 1828
sp. Martget?/

Kraus, Peter and Rebecca
Jonathan born 3 Jan 1831, bapt. 3 April 1831
Sp. the parents

Kraus, Samuel and Elizabeth
Jonathan born 17 May 1831, bap. 26 Jun 1831
sp. Ephraim Hakmann and Maria Magdalena

Krauss, Jacob and Litia
Brissila, (Priscilla) born 9 May 1831, abt 24 July 1831
sp. The parents

Krause, Jacob and Lydia
Lydia, born 30 March 1838, bap. 18 May 1838
sp. the parents

Crouse, Jacob and wife Lyda
William, born 15 Jan 1840, bap. 19 April 1840

Krouse, Jacob and Liddy
Marian Fietta, born 9 aug 1841, bap 6 jan 1842

Krause, Jacob and wife Litty
Henry Jackson, born 31 July 1844

Jacob is my line, and he stayed in Miles Twp., Centre Co.
But what happened to the others? Hannah, Johannes and wife Elizabeth, Peter and wife Rebecca, Samuel and wife Elizabeth?
I would love to hear from anyone researching this line.
beberh5501@comcast. net

Re: Frederick Krouse/ Jacob Crouse Centre PA

Posted: 14 Aug 2008 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Graus, Krausz, Kraus, Crouse of Luzerne county
I am looking for a Frederick (school master)and Susanna Margareta Kraus who disappeared from records in Lehigh County after 1791. They had 4 children baptized at Ziegle Church in Weisenburg twp. Anna Maria - 1784, Susanna - 1786, Anna Fredrica - 1788, and Johan Frederick - 1790. Though for most of the records the name was spelled Graus or Grause ther is one record that has the name spelled Kraus.

There is also a reference to a Frederick Graus and a Susanna Wegman as sponsors for a baptism at Ziegles.

I don't if this is the same family but would be happy to share information.

Kathy

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Kraus, Crouse, Grause, Graus
Hi Kathy,

I descend from the Kraus/Crouse line that you mention.

The Johan Frederick that was christened in 1790 married Salome and they had 9 children, some of whom where also christened at Ziegels Church. This Frederick & Salome were buried in Trinity Cemetery, Black Creek, Luzerne.

Their son, Frederick, who was born & christened at Ziegels in 1815 was my 3rd Great Grandfather.

I would love to compare notes. What is your connection?

Dianne Crouse

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Graus, Kraus, Markle, Benninger, Miller
Dianne,
I would be happy to share information. I do not have the name of all the children of Fredrick and Salome:Frederick, Peter,Jacob. I have been tracing the family of Frederick (his son) and Magdalena (Benninger)for my husband Charles Miller. Frederick and Magdalena had seven or eight children of which I can only verify six: Jacob, Steven, Christian, Dorthea, Francis, Luisianna. Christian is the next in our line. He had nine children with Hanna Sophia (Benninger): Lloyd, Oliver, Lydia, Rosetta, Florence, Walter, Carrie, Foster, and Clara. Foster is my husband's grandfather. He had four girls with Susan Delila(Markle) Naomi, Miriam, Violet, and Susanne. Naomi married Charles Miller.
The earliest information I have is that John Frederick Graus, Ludimaister (school teacher) at Zeigel's Lutheran in Weisenberg twp Lehigh Co. had four children with Susanna Margaret: Anna Marie (1784), Susanna (1786), Anna Friederica (1988), and Johann Friederick (July 28 1790). There is a reference to the death of the school master/mistress (depending on the transcriber)in 1791.

I hope you can fill in some names for me.

Kathy Miller

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 8:50PM GMT
Surnames: crouse
Hi Kathy,

This is what I have on Johan Frederich and Salome. I only have the names of 5 of their children. The bio for Augustus Crouse (copied at the bottom of this post) says they had 9 children with 6 making it to maturity. Who knows if it is accurate. The bio also states that the father of Johan Frederich was Samuel which I think is wrong. I think we have both found that his parents were Johan Frederick & Margaret Suzanna. Maybe Samuel was a previous generation?

Johan Frederich Crouse (Johan Frederick) was born in 1790 in Weisenberg Twp.. He was christened on 4 Aug 1790 in Ziegels Lutheran & Reformed,Weisenberg Twp. Lehigh,PA. He died in 1856. He was buried in Trinity Cemetery,Mountain Grove,Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

Johan Frederich married Salome . Salome was born on 18 Jun 1780. She died on 14 Aug 1847. She was buried in Trinity Cemetery, Mountain Grove, Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

They had the following children:

Unknown1 Crouse .

Unknown2 Crouse .

Unknown3 Crouse .

Unknown4 Crouse .

Salome Crouse .(source: Raymond E. Hollenbach, Trinity Church Records, Mt. Grove, Luzerne."Communicants May 12, 1844, Friedrich Krausz, sen. and wife and dau. Salome, Peter Krausz Jacob Krausz Friedrich Krausz, jun and wife.")

Frederick Crouse was born on 15 Oct 1815. He was Christened 10 APR 1817 Ziegels Lutheran And Reformed, Weisenberg Twp, Lehigh, Pa. He died on 21 Sep 1883.

John Crouse was born in 1817. He was christened on 10 Apr 1817 in Ziegels Lutheran & Reformed, Weisenberg Twp. Lehigh, PA.

Peter S. Crouse was born on 4 Dec 1820. He died on 5 Apr 1899.

Jacob Crouse was born on 15 Jan 1823. He died on 1 Jan 1895.

BIOGRAPHY: History of Luzerne County, by H.C. Bradsby, 1893

AUGUSTUS CROUSE, carpenter, P.O. Rock Glen, was born in North Union, Schuylkill Co., Pa., February 2, 1850, a son of Peter and Matilda (Pennybaker) Crouse. His great grandfather, Samuel Crose, a native of Germany, was a Revolutionary soldier, serving throughout the entire war. His grandfather, Frederick Crouse, a native of Pennsylvania, was a pioneer of Black Creek township, where he cleared a large farm and died. He had a family of nine children, of whom six grew to maturity. Peter, the father of our subject, was the eighth child, and was reared in Black Creek township. In 1851 he removed to Auglaize county, Ohio, where he still resides. His children were Mary A., Augustus, John, Sarah, Cynthia, Gabriel and Clara. Our subject was reared in Auglaize county, Ohio, serving a apprenticeship of two years at the carpenter's trade, and in 1875 located in Black Creek township, where he has since resided and followed his trade. He married Hannah, daughter of Samuel and Lydia (Eroh) Shellhammer, of Black Creek township, and he has five children living: Clara May, Bertha Maud, Stella Elizabeth, Mintil Pearl and Mabel Grace. Mr. Crouse is a member of the Reformed Church; in politics he is a Democrat, and is now serving his first term as school director of Black Creek township.

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 9:19PM GMT
Surnames: crouse
Hi kathy,

This is the info on the family of Frederick & Magdalena. Let me know if you need more details or source info.

Frederick Crouse (Johan Frederich, Johan Frederick) was born on 15 Oct 1815. He was christened on 12 Nov 1815 in Ziegels Lutheran & Reformed,Weisenberg Twp. Lehigh,PA. He died on 21 Sep 1883. The cause of death was Dropsy. He was buried on 26 Sep 1883 in Trinity Cemetery,Mountain Grove,Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

Frederick married Magdalena Benninger daughter of Rev. John Jacob Binninger and Magdalena Leimenstoll on 10 Nov 1838 in Columbia County, Pennsylvania. Magdalena was born in 1821 in Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA. She died in 1900 in Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA. She was buried in Trinity Cemetery, Mountain Grove, Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

They had the following children:

John Jakob Crouse was born on 20 Jan 1840. He died on 28 Sep 1849. He was buried in Trinity Cemetery, Mountain Grove,Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

Phebe Crouse was born about 1841.

Stephen Crouse was born on 25 Nov 1843 in Columbia County, PA. He died on 21 Mar 1900 in Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA. The cause of death was Blood Poisoning. He was buried on 24 Mar 1900 in Trinity Cemetery, Mountain Grove, Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA. Stephen married Hanah.

Christian Crouse was born on 2 Mar 1846. He died on 25 Dec 1919 in Philadelphia Co,PA. He was buried in Trinity Cemetery,Mountain Grove, Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

Christian married Hannah Sophia Benninger daughter of Christian Binninger and Lydia Harger. Hannah was born on 7 Dec 1857. She died on 15 Aug 1953. She was buried in Trinity Cemetery,Mountain Grove,Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

Dorothea Luisa (Torefda) Crouse "Louisa" was born on 19 Oct 1848. She died on 17 Sep 1923. She was buried in Emmanuel Lutheran Church of Nuremburg, Columbia Co,PA. She married John Sherman. John was born in 1836 in PA. He died in 1913. He was buried in Nuremberg Cemetery, Schuylkill, PA.

Francis Wilson Crouse was born on 14 Feb 1853. He died on 27 Aug 1915. He was buried in Trinity Cemetery, Mountain Grove, Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA. Francis married Rachel Hunsinger . Rachel was born on 13 Aug 1842. She died on 25 Apr 1917. She was buried in Trinity Cemetery, Mountain Grove, Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

Louisianna (Lucy) Crouse "Lucy" was born on 7 Mar 1856. She died in 1925. She was buried in Trinity Cemetery,Mountain Grove, Black Creek Twp. Luzerne Co. PA.

Eliza Crouse was born about 1859.

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: Benninger Leimenstoll
Hi Kathy,

Do you have the connection on the Benninger & Leimenstoll lines? If not, let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Also, where did you find the info on the school master in Lehigh?

Dianne

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 10:13PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Hi Dianne,

I would love to have information of the Benningers. Much of what has been on the message board the last two days is confirming what I already have but I have not delved into the Benningers yet Thanks

PS Ziegel's Union and Reformed Church: Lehigh Co. 1752-1866

John Frederick Grauss(Schoolmaster) and wife Anna Friederica Sponcors Carl Gackenbach and Margaret
birth 8-4-1788
Basp by Rev. Lehman 8-10-1788

Frederick Grauss Susanna Rev. Hellfrick pastor
Margaret Susanna 9-10-1786 w Magdalena
9-26-1786

John Frederick Grauss John Frederick Kilian Leiby
School master and 7-28-1790 Catharina
Wife 8-10-1788

Frederick Grause Anna Maria Peter Haas
Susanna 9-10-1784 Anna Maria
9-26-1784

Also, on page 12, John Frederick Grause and wife Susanna Margaret are listed as sponsers for Susan, the daughter of George Kabaur and Margret b 9-20-1788

Burials at Ziegel Church 1790 -1795 Rev Johann Helffrich
The Schoolmaster 2-19-1791 age 38 tears 10 months 2 weeks 1 day (name is not given)
(this is recorded in church records but there is no grave marker in the cemetery)

Kathy

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 10:17PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Graus Grauss, Benningers, Kraus
Hi Dianne,

I would love to have information of the Benningers. Much of what has been on the message board the last two days is confirming what I already have but I have not delved into the Benningers yet Thanks

PS Frederick Grauss/Kraus Schoolmaster

Ziegel's Union and Reformed Church: Lehigh Co. 1752-1866

John Frederick Grauss(Schoolmaster) and wife Anna Friederica Sponcors Carl Gackenbach and Margaret
birth 8-4-1788
Basp by Rev. Lehman 8-10-1788

Frederick Grauss Susanna Rev. Hellfrick pastor
Margaret Susanna 9-10-1786 w Magdalena
9-26-1786

John Frederick Grauss John Frederick Kilian Leiby
School master and 7-28-1790 Catharina
Wife 8-10-1788

Frederick Grause Anna Maria Peter Haas
Susanna 9-10-1784 Anna Maria
9-26-1784

Also, on page 12, John Frederick Grause and wife Susanna Margaret are listed as sponsers for Susan, the daughter of George Kabaur and Margret b 9-20-1788

Burials at Ziegel Church 1790 -1795 Rev Johann Helffrich
The Schoolmaster 2-19-1791 age 38 tears 10 months 2 weeks 1 day (name is not given)
(this is recorded in church records but there is no grave marker in the cemetery)

Kathy

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 11:21PM GMT
you will find lots of good info about the Binninger and leimenstoll lines here. Sharon was very helpful when I contacted her a few years back.

http://www.witsend.org/gen/vorstetten.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions