Search for content in message boards

Clinkard, Toronto, Canada

Clinkard, Toronto, Canada

Posted: 3 Nov 2008 6:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clinkard
I am trying to trace descendants of Thomas A Clinkard and his wife Bertha M Clinkard who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, around 1906/7. The 1911 census has them living at 177 Erskine in Toronto. Thomas was one of the Littlemore Clinkards (NB not Garsington, although they were cousins).

Re: Clinkard, Toronto, Canada

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 5:07PM GMT
Can't find him going out for the first time, but this is his arrival back in England, On looking at the original handwritten copy, it would appear that Thomas (with Sidney) boarded this ship at Montreal. The embarkation point is marked Montreal. He is described as a Painter, and Sidney is described as a Shoemaker.

Name: Thomas Clinkard
Birth Date: abt 1882
Port of Departure: Valparaiso, Chile
Arrival Date: 6 Oct 1908
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Coruna, Valparaiso, Lisbon, Antofagasta, St Vincent, Santa Cruz, Lota, Port Stanley, Montevideo, Rio de Janeiro and La Pallice
Ship Name: Oravia
Search Ship Database: View the 'Oravia' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Pacific Steam Navigation Company
Official Number: 106858

This is Thomas returning to Canada in 1909 on the handwritten copy, his ultimate destination is said to be Toronto. No other Clinkards on the ship. He is described as a Painter.

Name: Thomas Clinkard
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Date of Arrival: 14 Mar 1909
Vessel: Lake Erie
Search Ship Database: View the 'Lake Erie' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: St John, New Brunswick
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4820

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 5:17PM GMT
He appears to have married in Canada.

Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1924
about Thomas Alfred Clinkard
Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1924
about Thomas A Clinkard
Name: Thomas A Clinkard
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Father Name: James Clinkard
Mother Name: Martha Withers
Spouse Name: Bertha M Baker
Spouse's Age: 26
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Spouse Father Name: John B Blaker
Spouse Mother Name: Jemima Stringer
Marriage Date: 14 Feb 1911
Marriage Place: York
Marriage County: York
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_186

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 5:17PM GMT
Yes that would be right, because Thomas settled in Toronto with his wife Bertha and they appear on the 1911 census. Is there any way of locating what happened to them after this, or their descendants? My grandmother's cousin Harold Herbert George Clinkard lived with them for a brief time before being killed at Mount Sorrel. I would love to know what happened to Thomas and Bertha - and also if there's any evidence that Laura returned to England after going to Nova Scotia in 1904?

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 5:18PM GMT
That's really incredible - thank you so much!

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 5:38PM GMT
There is one Bertha Clinkard (Single, aged 60, and a nurse) who returns to England and has an intended address of 23 St. Dunstans Road, London W.6 I

Name: Laura Clinkard
Birth Date: abt 1878
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 23 Apr 1938
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: New York and Cherbourg
Ship Name: Britannic
Search Ship Database: View the 'Britannic' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Cunard White Star
Official Number: 162316

Also found this Boarder crossing. The date MUST be wrong, because on the original, she is asaid to be 60, and a nurse, and with the same address in England. It is not easy to read because of markings on the original. If you think this is her, let me know and I will try to read what the original says. (I am now off hospital visiting, so will not be back for about 2 hours.)

Name: Laura Hannah Clinkard
Arrival Date: 3 Apr 1950 (THIS DATE IS NOT CORRECT)
Birth Date: 1 Jul ??77
Birthplace: Oxford
Birth Country: England
Race/Nationality: English

Port of Arrival: Niagara Falls, New York, USA
Accompanied by: Nephew Cantilo
Record has photo?: No

If you want anyaathing else let me know. Are you in England or Canada. (I am in England)

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 6:08PM GMT
As far as I know Laura's second name was Anna, not Hannah, at least according to the BMD, but of course it's possible this became distorted over time because it sounds so similar. Her birth was certainly registered in 1878 at Abingdon, Oxford.

Sorry if I'm being slow... do you mean that Bertha Clinkard sailed to England in 1938 and Laura sailed to the US in 1950?

If you can make out the name of Laura's nephew that would be brilliant, but please don't worry if you're too busy. I am based in England too.

Many thanks for all your help.

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 6:44PM GMT
So the dates would certainly add up if it was Laura returning to England in 1938, and Charing Cross Hospital is on Dunstan's Road W6. But if it was Laura who returned to the US/Canada in 1950, she would have been 72... any more info you can give me would be brilliant.

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 8:18PM GMT
Hello Again,

Sorry, When I typed Bertha, I must have been having a very senior moment, I meant Laura Clinkard.

Regarding the entry for Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956

The date of 1955 is not correct. I have now looked again at the handwritten copy, and what is says is 4/14/1938 and immediately after that is says SS Britannia.

So it looks as if she crossed from Canada to the US, and then came back to England from the US, which makes more sense, as she was 60 years at the time.
I am sending you a message on the contact line, which will give me own email address. Contact me direct and I will try to send you copies of what I have.

Nancy

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 8:44PM GMT
Hi Liz,

I have tried emailing you direct, please let me know if it got through.

nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions