Search for content in message boards

John Butler, Portland, Gorham, Westbrook

John Butler, Portland, Gorham, Westbrook

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Butler, Drinkwater
I am looking for information regarding John Butler. I would like to find source confirmation for what I know and further information regarding him and his family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. John Butler born 1732 Portland died Dec 1827 Westbrook Maine. Possible that he was a silversmith "that came down in the world" (not sure what that means!) *Source: research notes of a student intern that left no other information regarding source.

2. John's first wife may have been Ann Codman born Nov 18 1732 Charleston MA died 1783 Gorham ME. *Source: same intern's unsourced notes.

3. John's second wife "Jane", with whom he had at least two daughters
Ann(e) T. (Tyng or Tyny) born 6 Sep 1787 Gorham Maine (also known as Nancy)married Arthur Drinkwater 1814 Cumberland, Maine
Mary born 10 Dec 1791 Gorham, Maine
*Source: Family Search website, no cited source

Re: John Butler, Portland, Gorham, Westbrook

Posted: 29 Jan 2014 11:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
On p. 120 of The History of Gorham, Maine with a new Every Name Index by Hugh D. McLellan, they are talking about people who moved to Gorham around 1775-1782..."Among others who moved out to Gorham at this time, were Richard Codman, who lived near where the house of Freeman Richardson now stands; John Butler, who lived just east of the Daniel Mosher house, and a Mr. Cox, who lived on the Conant farm, opposite the Tyng place." The part before this talks about a farm another resident lived in on the road from Gorham Village to Saccarappa (Westbrook today). This road would be rt. 25 possibly.
On p. 444 is the Codman family history, which does list an Annie as the daughter Randolph A.L. Codman (a lawyer in Portland) and his 2nd wife Caroline P. Porter.
There are a few Drinkwaters listed in the book, but not Arthur. Same for Tyng. No Anne/Nancy.
There are Butler family histories listed in other books that I've found at local libraries in Maine. Baxter Library in Gorham has a good selection of Maine history resources and you may even find a few Butlers in the area. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic