Search for content in message boards

Fletcher Family Information

Fletcher Family Information

Fred Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2006 1:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
I live in NC and I am looking for information about my fathers side of the family. His name was Marvin Fletcher, he was adopted by Leonard Henry and LuCindy Fletcher. This was in 1933 or 1934 in Sanderson. I have been told that Leonard was a Sherrif around this same time. He was related to Lewis Harvey Fletcher and Eloise Wise Fletcher. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Re: Fletcher Family Information

Posted: 4 May 2006 6:09AM GMT
Surnames: Fletcher
Leonard Henry Fletcher was born August 1, 1872 in Prairie, Franklin County, Arkansas to James Fletcher and Sarah Rodgers. He and two brothers John Harvey and William R. Fletcher came to Sanderson. William R. died Dec. 9, 1914 and is buried in Cedar Grove cemetery. Leonard and John married sisters. Leonard married Lucinda Goad and John married Maudie Goad, both were daughters of William Henderson Goad and Mary Ruth Ray. Leonard died Jan. 31, 1949 and is buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery. "Lue" was born July 1, 1869 in Union, Benton CO., Arkansas and died July 3, 1956 in El Paso, Tx. She is also buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery. There is a metal marker in the cemetery marker Lue Cindy G. Fletcher 1869-1956. There are no cemetery stones on either grave. There is a unmarked metal marker next to Lue Cindy Fletcher, but it has no name. The cemetery records show Leonard and Lucinda as being buried in Section G 59.

Obit Sanderson Times dated Feb. 4, 1949, page 1
Funeral Services for L. H. Fletcher here Wednesday

Furneral services were held at the local Church of Christ Wednesday afternoon for Leonard Henry Fletcher, who died at his home in Del Rio, Monday afternoon following a lengthy illness.
Martelle Petty, minister, conducted the services with O. T. Sudduth & Co. in charge of the arrangements. Burial was in Cedar Grove Cemetery.
His widow, Mrs. Cinda Fletcher, and a son, Marvin, survive. Local relatives include two nieces, Mrs. Charlie Rogers of Sanderson, Mrs. A. A. McDonald of Dryden and two nephews, L. H. Fletcher and H.E. Fletcher of Sanderson.
Mr. Fletcher at one time owned and operarted for about five years the blacksmith shop now owned by Chester Darr in Sanderson. He also resided near Dryden on the Barksdale ranch, leaving Terrell County in 1915. He went to Del Rio from Alpine residing in the latter city for three years.

Obit Sanderson Times, dated July 8, 1956, page 1

Mrs. J. H. Fletcher Dies in Del Rio
Mrs. Lucindy Goad Fletcher, 86, died early Sunday at her home in Del Rio following a heart attack.
Following funeral services in that city Monday morning, the body was brought overland in a funeral coach for internment in Cedar Grove Cemetery in Sanderson. Graveside services were in charge of Carroll Jackson, minister of the Church of Christ.
Mrs. Fletcher was a native of Missouri and had resided in Del Rio for the past ten years. She had resided in Sanderson and Alpine before moving to Del Rio in 1946.
She is survived by a son, Marvin J. Fletcher, of Del Rio; also Horace and Lewis Fletcher of Sanderson, nephews; Mrs. Charlie Rogers, of Fort Stockton, a niece; a sister Mrs. Mandy Reed of Sterling City; a brother, Johnny Goad, of Carlsbad, N.M.
The pall bearers were Jack Hayre, E. E. Farley, Raymond Farley of Dryden, W. E. Grigsby, F. H. Talbot and J. C. Trusdale of Carlsbad, N.M.
Among out-of-town relatives here for the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Goad, Otis Goad, and Elmer Goad, all of Carlsbad; Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Bell of Alpine; Mr. and Mrs. Dave Medley and daughter, Roxie, of Fort Davis; Mrs. Charlie Rogers of Fort Stockton and Harvey Rogers of Valentine.

I don't know why the obit doesn't mention her sister Maude Goad Fletcher who didn't die till Jan. 18, 1965, but it does mention Maude's children Horace, Lewis and Effie (Charlie.) Rogers. I have the obits for eight of the Fletcher family buried in Cedar Grove as well as pictures of six cemetery stones if interested.

Excerpt:
Terrell County Texas Its Past Its People: Terrell County Heritage Committee, Published by Rangel Printing 1502. Copyright, 1978, Alice Evans Downie W. Beauregard San Angelo, Texas 76901; page 377

The Fletcher Family
By a grandaughter, Eddie Bell Louwien

The procession of wagons rolled on west of the Pecos River. The Fletchers, John's and Leonard's families, were on their way to new lands. John's family consisted of Maude, his wife, and five children, Horace, Effie, Cecile, Ora Lee and Lewis. Leonard and Cindy were childless.
It was in 1911 that the familes settled on the Barksdale Ranch, near Dryden, which they bought for thirty-five (35) cents an acre (school land). Besides ranching, John and Len drilled water wells around the Dryden country. I feel sure that some of the wells are probably still in use. While in the Dryden area, John and Maude had another child, Ruby. My mother (Cecile) has told me often about things that happened to them as they were going back and forth to Dryden to school. They had to ride in a buggy, and several times their horses got scared and gave them quite a wild ride. Then the cold, cold days, rattlesnakes, javelinas, etc., they had to contend with. They went to school with the Farley, Grigsby, Hokitt, and Green Children.
After several years they sold the ranch and moved to Mud Creek near Del Rio. Mother used to say she was so bent out-of-shape because she had to carry Lewis and Ruby (one on each hip) around all the time. It was here Ora Lee stumbled over a wagon tongue and broke her right arm.
In 1915, they moved to Ozona, where they ran a mercantile store, This didn't last long, however. They said they went because Len heard there was going to be a shortage of baking soda, so he bought several carloads of it. With all their money tied up in this, they were forced to sell out. They then moved to Sanderson in 1917.
John and Horace went to work on the railroad as machinist and machinist helpers, while Len went into the Blacksmith business. It was here Effie met and marrief Charlie Rogers. They had two children, Charles, Jr. and Harvey. Too, John and Maude's last child, Eleanor, was born.
In 1922, John went into the water service for the railroad. moving to Valentine. He serviced wells from Sanderson to El Paso, at home only on weekends. Horace had chosen to stay in Sanderson and work in the roadhouse. It was here he met and married Cecil Bodkin, daughter of S. C. and Ida Robitsch Bodkin, who passed away in 1964. He has since retired and remarried. He and Hazel live in Fort Worth.
At Valentine the John Fletchers moved into the Telephone and Water Works house. Maude and the girls tended to both these businesses. Here, Cecile met her "one-and-only" John Bell, and married. Four children were born to them, Eddie (myself), Johnny, Leslie, and Bert. Eddie, Johnny, and Bert became Sanderson residents. Eddie married H. B. Louwien, Johnny married Anna Edwards, and Bert married Joanne Carruthers.
In the meantime Len and Cindy had moved to Alpine, where they operated a candy store, making thier own candy. It was here Len died. Cindy died some years later in Del Rio.
In 1932, the John Fletchers moved to Alpine, where John was still employed by the railroad, his home station then being in Alpine instead of Valentine. It was here that Ora Lee married A. A. McDonnell of Dryden. They had three children-Mary Louise, Anna Lee, and Lanora. Ruby married Dave Medley of Marfa, and Lewis married Eloise Wise of Sheffield. Lewis worked for the Railway Express, but in 1941 he hired out as a fireman and moved to Sanderson. Two children were born to them, Carlene (Mrs. Phil Maddux) and Charles Lewis. Lewis has recently retired from the railroad.
About 1940 John and Maude moved back to Valentine, where they lived until his death in 1945, at which time Maude moved to Sanderson to make her home with Lewis and "Wease" There was an unusual coincidence concerning their deaths in that John passed away on January 18, 1945, and Maude passed away on the same day, January 18, 1965-twenty years to the day.

Other information: In 1880 the Fletchers lived in Rusk County, Texas. The father James died young, and the wife, Sarah had remarried to a Mr. Webb. The children were William R., age 11, Susan, age 10, Leonard, age 8, John age 5, Darthula, age 4, and Minnie Webb, age 6 months. In 1900 Leonard and Lucinda, John H., Maud L. and Horace E. lived together in Coleman County, Texas. William was found living in Brewster County, Texas in 1910 shortly before his death. There is more info if interested, but i haven't found records indicating any of them were sheriff or deputy, but there are very few early records still surviving, so it is possible.

Fred Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2006 11:43PM GMT
Thanks for the information, it really means alot to myself and my mother. I sent it to her as well. My father passsed away a couple years ago and we took him back to Del Rio to be buried. We have a family plot there, My parents bought it in the late 50's when my brother passed away. Any other information you can seend is so greatly appreciated. I met Lewis Harvey and Eloise Wise Fletcher when I was young, but don't remember much about them. My father wsa the type that didn't talk much so I really do not know to much about his side of the family. Thanks again

William Perhealth (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2006 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Fletcher
You can e-mail me at williamperhealth@yahoo.com. I could mail you the obits and cemetery photos if you have a mailing address. Is there any other particular info you are looking for?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic