Search for content in message boards

Ancestry.com or NewpaperArchive.com problem?

Ancestry.com or NewpaperArchive.com problem?

Posted: 3 May 2009 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
See http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=Newspaper&dbid=50...

Using my surname 'Livermore', a search returns 85 hits. About hit #36, the 'Newspaper' changes from 'Sioux Valley News' to 'The Sioux Valley News' and all subsequent entries return the dreaded 'Error Processing Request' page. This was reported several times by myself to Ancestry support over the last 3 years.

Who has the problem? And when (if ever) will it be fixed?

Re: Ancestry.com or NewpaperArchive.com problem?

Posted: 9 Jul 2009 12:54PM GMT
Sorry, the subject should have read "Newspaperarchive.com".

A monthly subscription at the above site indicates that the missing images are indeed available at the above site.

Ancestry, the ball is back in your court. When will I get access to the images I paid for?

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 11:16PM GMT
I subscribed to NewspaperARCHIVE.com a few days ago and it is great. I have found dozens of obits and articles. The search engine is an absolute dream.

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 10:10AM GMT
So, you don't have a problem paying twice to get your information? That IS what I am talking about here.

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 11:56AM GMT
Yes, I do have a problem with it. I only have a three-month subscription with Ancestry.com When it is time to renew, I will be seriously reevaluating.

I look at the census records here but otherwise, I mostly get information from the newspapers. Since I now get that from another sources, the question is, do I need Ancestry.com

At times I look at the family tree information. But most of the data about my immediate family is wrong or incomplete. So.

Re: Ancestry.com or NewspaperArchive.com problem?

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 8:11PM GMT
"Board Information" for this board reveals this:

"We set up this message board to help gather comments about the Historical Newspapers Collection on Ancestry.com. We hope you will use it to make comments that range from content errors to usability of the viewer/searches - all welcome. We hope to continually improve this collection and we will look to this board to help us in that work."

We who?

Are you looking at his board to improve your collection, Ancestry, or not?

Posted: 25 Jun 2010 12:29PM GMT
I missed the one year anniversary to bump this thread. Still hoping for a fix...

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 12:40AM GMT
The problem is thatAncestry Corporate will do NOTHING to address the problems with its search feature because - so I have been told twenty or more times - its a Newspaperarchive.com issue.

My beef with Ancestry.com is that they have no problem taking our money, but they refuse to take ownership of teh site defiencies and fix the problems.

Now I see that they are rolling out ANOTHER web site, again, without fixing the "mothership".

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 3:24AM GMT
I know this is just a work-around but in "old search" you can click on "Ohio" (or whatever state) below the "Search all records" page or on the map, scroll down and click on "view all 169 Ohio Newspapers & Periodicals" (or whatever state), then narrow the years down to those you're interested in, then search each paper in your locality individually. If you don't know the geography of the state, just look it up.

This can probably be done in "new search" too but I don't know the steps. I think the location field in the search box just uses the location as a keyword so it will not help to use it. I sometimes have better luck putting nothing in the name fields and using the first & last names in quotations, like a phrase, in the keyword field.

I know this is a pain and isn't addressing the OP's complaint, and it doesn't make up for missing issues, but it is a way to make the best of a bad situation, and I have found very important pieces of information this way.

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 2:08AM GMT
I just signed on for a month to check it out. The newspaper function is worthless. I can't even use Ctrl-F to find my search word in the paper. I have to try and find clues like lines of where it was in the paper to get get context. After this, I will try the newspaper site to see what I can find. I think I've exhausted all of the census data that I need.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions