Search for content in message boards

James Johnston - married to Amity Welch Penn 1810

James Johnston - married to Amity Welch Penn 1810

Posted: 31 Dec 2004 9:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2005 11:13AM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, Welch
Looking for more info on him, who his parents where, etc. I have conflicting birth places. I do know he died Jul 1829 in Fairfield, Ohio. Their children went to Salt Lake City and then to Ramah, New Mexico.

Re: James Johnston - married to Amity Welch Penn 1810

Posted: 22 Aug 2008 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: Johnstun, Welch
I realize that your post is about 4 years old now, but I would like to reply because I would like to get in contact with any of James Johnston's (Johnstun's) decendents. I do not have any more that you have for James Johnston but I am interested in anything about him and his wife, Amity Welch. His son, Jesse Johnstun (He insisted on the "tun" spelling) had a diary that belonged to his father William James Johnstun, son of James Johnstun. William James Johnstun had copied the diary of his brother Jesse Walker Johnstun which contained family information and then went on to add his own diary. This diary was in the possession of my mother's Uncle Jesse Johnstun (son of William James Johnstun) who allowed my mother to bring this small book to me for one week (this was before the days of copiers). I spent that entire week typing all of that little diary which was written in purple ink. I am willing to share that information if you do not have it. It is a wonderful read.

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, Johnstun
Jesse Johnston, your mother's uncle, is my grandfather. My father is George Abner Johnston. I would be very interested in a copy of the journal or diary you mention. What information are you looking for? I wish we Johnstons had never allowed our name to be changed from Johnstun.

Posted: 3 Sep 2008 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: Johnstun, Johnston, Welch, Walker, Givens
Carrieduck, I did meet your mother and father when my sister took me to meet them years ago. We also visited the cemetary in Ramah. Your grandfather, Jesse Johnstun, is a favorite of mine and he came quite often to Kirtland to spend time with mother. I am excited to get in contact with you. Call 208-227-6849 to give me your address and I will be glad to mail you a copy of the diary of William James Johnstun. If you do not have it, I can also send a copy of a picture of him with two other Mormon Battalion members who were honored at the 50th anniversary celebration of the discovery of gold at Sutter's mill. I also have a copy of a talk which he gave in church not long before he died whichgives further insight into his life, and also a copy of a testimony concerning the discovery of gold which he told in the presense of his borther-in-law, Samuel Young, who married his sister, Clara. Of course, I am interested in anything connected to James Johnstun and his wife Amily Welch. I did find an Amity Welch in Connecticut. Someone had connected her to another Amity Welch as her daughter, but the dates did not fit. Dates tell me that it would have had to be her grandmother. I also wonder if the second names of their sons, Jesse WALKER Johnstun and George GIVENS Johnstun have anything to do with the family lines.I would really like to connect up with any of the decendents of either of these men. There was a reunion of Jesse Walker Johnstun's decendents posted on line a few years ago, but when I tried phone the contacts, I was unable to get through. Any information you have would be appreciated.
I am anxious for you to call so I can share my information with you.

Posted: 3 Oct 2008 12:55AM GMT
I am the great-great grandson of Jesse Walker Johnstun and Betsy Ann Snyder. I have some information about them, as well as a bit of biographical about Amity, and would be more than willing to share.

I also have photos of both Jesse and Betsy Ann, and the 50th anniversary of Sutter's Mill picture.

Joseph Johnstun
Hamilton, IL

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 9:04PM GMT
Surnames: Johnstun
Hello, My names is Vera Jo Stutznegger Hoge daughter of Della Mae Nielsen who is daughter of Delpha May Johnstun Nielsen. Jesse Walker Johnstun is my grandfather decendent. I would love to have information about the diary of Jesse Walker Johnstun. I have only been able to go back as far as James Johnston and wife
argaret Kinney 1755. I am looking forward to hearing from you. I live in Escalon CA vhoge@yahoo.com
Thanks so much.
Vera Hoge (probably a cousin)

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 5:20AM GMT
I am the GG Grandson of George Givens Johnstun George was the brother of Jesse Walker and William James. George left on a mission to the east at the same time the rest of the family (I don’t know who was included in the family) left New Baltimore, Fairfield Ohio for Far West, Caldwell Co., Missouri on Jun 13, 1838. The family arrived at Far West on August 1838 George met up with them some time later. George married Sarah Sofia Johnson on Jan 1 1839 and later married Mahaley Dudley Feb 6, 1846. There is no record of any children born to the first marriage to Sarah Johnson. To the second marriage to Mahaley Dudley three children were born (George Carlos (Don) Sep 20 1847 (my G Grandfather), David Lewis Mar 21, 1849 and Sarah Sariah April 18, 1850.

George, his wife Sarah, mother Amity and sister were members of a 50 wagon train of Stephen Markham Company (I have a list of the members of this train Mahaley Dudley and their three children were not on this list) that left from the outfitting post of Kanesville, Iowa (present day Council Bluffs between 20 and 27 June 1850. George, his mother Amity and sister Mary Kinney Johnstun died of Cholera North of the Platte River in Nebraska in July 1850.

Sarah, George’s first wife married William Mills on the plains. The wagons arrived in SLC 1-3 October 1850. William and Sarah left SLC and settled in Manti, San Pete County, Utah. William died April 10, 1853 in Manti. Sarah married John Henry Tuttle later in 1853. The 1860 Federal Census shows George Carlos and Sarah Sariah (the children of George Givens and Mahaley Dudley as members of the Tuttle house hold. How they got there I don’t know nor do I know what happened to David Lewis, the third child. I have more information on George Carlos (my G Grandfather) and if anyone is interested I’d be happy to share.

Posted: 15 Sep 2010 9:03AM GMT
Dear Joseph,
Though your post is two years old, I am hoping you will still receive this mail. I am a 2 great grandaughter to Jesse Walker Johnston and Betsy Ann Snyder through their daughter Mariah Amity. I would so much like to trade info. with you. Would love to have pictures of Jesse and Betsey Ann.
I have researched this line on and off for 30 years and have been trying to interest other descendants of James and Amity, who are activly researching, in forming a team to systematicaly track down their real parents. I think it is going to take this kind of approach to break down the brick walls we keep running in to. I have some ideas I think might work and probably others do too. Would you be interested?
Please e mail me personally at < bhunt@mvdsl.com > I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
Billie Hunt

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions