Search for content in message boards

Organized emigration to Canada 1819-1820

Organized emigration to Canada 1819-1820

Pamela (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2003 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestor, Richard ALLEN, emigrated from Armagh to Prescott County, Ontario, Canada in 1819. I know that, before the Famine, there were a number of organized "group relocations" to Canada - several managed by Peter Robinson. I don't know whether there were any from the Armagh area, and I'm hoping to find out.
What makes me suspect that there might have been is the fact that Prescott County at the time had a large French-speaking, Catholic population. By the 1851 census, the proponderance of English-speakers in the area have Irish family names. My Richard ALLEN was Presbyterian, and I'm wondering whether the British government might have moved in a group of English-speaking Protestants from Ireland to help ensure control of the area. Are there any local historians out there who could help me out?

Re: Organized emigration to Canada 1819-1820

Gwen Barry (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2003 11:14PM GMT
Surnames: ALLEN
Pamela,
Re your Allen ancestor who came to Prescott Co, Ont c1819. The Peter Robinson emigration group all came from southern Ireland, mostly county Wicklow. They settled near Lake Erie in Upper Canada, although a few remained in Lower Canada.

To have arrived in 1819, your ancestor was a very early arrival from Ulster indeed. Sounds to me like he could have been a military pensioner from the British Army, (they raised regiments in Ireland too), who after the full peace of 1815 were offered free land in Canada, in lieu of pension. Very few pensioners took up the offer. If that doesn't fit, then he may simply have been one of the earliest to get out of Ulster as the rural linen industry was collapsing, and sectarian violence began to escalate over Catholic Emancipation, for which debates began about 1819.

A few publications that might be of interest to you :

1. "Irish Migrants in the Canadas: A New Approach," by Bruce Elliot, McGill-Queens U Press, 1988. It deals with the organized migrations of 1815-1824 out of southern Ireland.

2. "Ulster Protestant Emigration to Lower Canada," by Gwen Barry (me). Evans Books, 2003. available from me at gwenb@eastlink.ca While it deals with Lower Canada, the conditions in Ulster mitigating for emigration, and the emigration patterns described from 1815-1835 apply equally to Upper Canada.

3. "Irish Emigration and Canadian Settlement: Patterns, Links and Letters," by Cecil J. Houston and William J. Smyth, U of T Press, 1990.

4. "British Emigration to British North America: the First Hundred Years," by Helen I. Cowan, U of T Press, 1961. It explains the British Army scheme from 1815-1830s to settle military pensioners, and the results of that scheme.

Most of the above should be availabe in Cdn university libraries.

Gwen Barry
Nova Scotia

Posted: 4 Nov 2003 2:28PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2004 2:16AM GMT
Just had to reply, my husbands anscestor is Richard Allen who came to Prescott Co. in 1819. Information from famiyy bible they came from County Armagh, Ireland- Drumbert Parish . If interested E-mail me.

Pamela (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2003 4:02PM GMT

Posted: 7 Nov 2003 12:45AM GMT
One and the same! he is Herbert and Emma's grandson.Ellen

Posted: 8 Nov 2003 12:09AM GMT
Pamela
Are you in the family connection? would like to hear from you.
have some info on the family.

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 8:37PM GMT
Just saw your posting of several years ago. I am researching an Irish family that arrived in Canada in 1819. There's not much info about the ships and passengers of that year. Do you know the ship name or any other passenger names. I'm looking for the family of Port (Porte)(Portt) - spelled several ways over the years. Valerie valaearl@verizon.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic