Search for content in message boards

Kenmore Roman Catholic Cemetry Goulburn NSW

Kenmore Roman Catholic Cemetry Goulburn NSW

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 8:11PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Burke
Patrick Burke died 8th March 1929 aged 58years.His death cert says he was buried 9th March 1929 & buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetry Kenmore. Death registered in Goulburn on the 12th March. Undertaker W E Jones. Is it possible somebody could locate the grave & take a photograph please. I live in Ireland, he was my g/uncle. Thank you.

Re: Kenmore Roman Catholic Cemetry Goulburn NSW

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 2:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi smithy,
I hope to be going to the Kenmore Cemetery next week and will keep an eye out for your great uncle if I get a chance.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT
Thank you. His brother Andrew & cousin Sergeant Lane organised the burial so I am hoping they marked the grave in some way.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cathy Smith

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 6:55AM GMT
Hi Cathy,

I'm in Sydney suburbs and live about 2 hours from Goulburn, so I rang the local Council (who now controls the Cemetry) and they emailed me a plan of where Patrick Burke was buried (lot No. 1914).

We visited the Cemetry on Sunday, but despite trying to follow the map, found that it was in a VERY bad state, with most of the headstones having been smashed and destroyed.
We attempted to walk up and down the "rows", but spent most of the time stepping over broken headstones, which were totally unable to be read. Don't get me wrong, there were some of the old ones still intact, but I'm afraid to say I couldn't find Patrick's.

(There were no numbers on the rows, & no numbers on grave-sites, and really it was impossible to tell where anybody was buried). A real shame and very sad to see what's happened there. I was very disappointed, and couldn't find "our" fellow either.

I'm attaching a copy of the plan (NOT that I found it was much help), and also some "general" photos I took of the cemetry. His grave is NOT where the green mark is on the plan but in the section below the mark - second row from the top of that section - between 1928 ...1901.

The lady at the Council told me that there was an item (death notice/obituary etc) in the Goulburn Evening Penny Post on 8 March 1929 for Patrick BOURKE, and she advised that The Goulburn Evening Penny Post and Goulburn Herald newspapers should be on-line (www.trove.nla.gov.au) by mid-year this year. (Old Austrlian Newspapers are gradually being added to this site).

Sorry I got your hopes up, but as it turned out I wasn't much help Im afraid. However, I hope the little bit I've attached may suffice till you can see the newspapers later in the year.

Kindest regards,
Patricia.
PS I've had trouble sending the attachments - will try again one at a time.

Attachments:

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:49AM GMT
1st Photo attachment- Kenmore Cemetry

(As you can see it's "out in the country" - although the local towns have encroached on the area recently - thus the vandalism.)
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:52AM GMT
2nd of the two photos of Kenmore Cemetry, near Goulburn.

Regards, Patricia
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 10:10PM GMT
Hi Patricia, thanks for all your efforts. I got the photos and the map. I am not surprised you had difficulty following the grave numbers. Thanks again for trying to locate the grave. Some people have no respect for the dead and they just smash the headstones, I am afraid it happens everywhere. WE were unlucky that it happened to both our relations. I will keep checking trove for the obituary.
Cathy

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 10:33AM GMT
Good luck with Trove. It's a wonderful site and I've found so much in the papers as they come on-line.

I may be going to Canberra in a couple of months time, in which case Goulburn/Kenmore is on the way. If so, and especially if I'm on my own, I may have another chance to spend some "quiet time" and have another look. There were four of us on Sunday, and somehow it was a more "confusing" search, rather than methodical. Mainly because of the fact that the rows all ran into each other and with stepping over broken graves we didn't have a co-ordinated approach - quite apart from time restraints due to meeting new "cousins" in Goulburn.

I'll let you know if I get back there, and more importantly, if I find anything !!

Regards, Patricia

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 7:16PM GMT
Hi Patricia, I have found Trove really helpful. I found a lot of information about Patrick's brother Andrew including his obituary and burial details. His death cert gave me info he was married and had a daughter. A couple of months ago I spoke on the phone to Andrew's granddaughter but unfortunately she didn't know any info about his siblings. Thanks again for all your help. I will let you know if I manage to find anything else. Are any of your ancestors from Ireland?.
Cathy

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 10:11PM GMT
Hi Cathy, first of all I'm glad you've found Trove. It's fantastic - and free!!! I too have found a lot of stuff there, including the fact that my husband's own Grandfather had knocked down and killed a lady with his pushbike!!! What a great tit-bit to add to his story!!

As for Ireland - yes, my GGGrandfather came from Fermanagh with his wife and 3 children (Patrick Maguire must be the most common name in Fermanagh !!!) and my husband's family I was chasing in Goulburn are the Croak's from Killkenny - and again a common name in that county !!

They are my brick walls but I keep knocking a brick away one at a time.

I received a phone call from Goulburn Council yesterday to suggest that next time I'm in the area I phone them - and a member of staff will try to meet me at the cemetery to show me exactly where the graves are located !! How great is that for service !! However no promises - and secondly, on the odd occasion we go through Goulburn it's usually the weekend !! Oh well, but fingers crossed anyway.
Kindest regards
Pat.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions