Search for content in message boards

Dunn's in Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia

Dunn's in Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia

Posted: 5 May 2006 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
I know very little. these are the names I have J.L. Dunn b. abt 1837 in Alabama (Parents unknown, but both born in Georgia) son, Henry Dunn b. abt 1879 in Alabama married Millie Ann Walden b. abt 1889 in MO, 2 of there children Lark (my grandfather) b. 14 Aug 1913 in Osceola, Arkansas and sister Estine b abt 1916. Thanks!
Wendy

Re: Dunn's in Arkansas, Alabama, and Georgia

laurian (View posts)
Posted: 6 May 2006 9:44AM GMT
No I am sure they are not the same. My Dunns never left NZ after they arrived

Don (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2006 11:36AM GMT
This needs a lot of research to verify but I have a William Dunn ca 1802 & wife, Drucilla ca 1814, of Pulaski Co., GA. with five children, one being a John Dunn ca 1840 of Alabama. No additional detail on John.

Wendy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2006 3:29AM GMT
I would love copies of anything you have! I'm not sure if it is the correct John Dunn or not, but it may give me a place to start. I seem to be hung up on this generation and unfortunatley my twin sister are the only ones in our family left so we have no other family members to try to get info from. I'm really not sure how far we will be able to get.

Posted: 21 Jul 2009 2:03PM GMT
Hi Don,

There was a Thomas Dunn and Joel Dunn in Pulaski Co GA 1830-1840 that came from Wayne/Dobbs/Johnston NC. Both married Harrell sisters around 1820 back in NC. Might your William Dunn conntact?

That Dunn line ties back somehow to the Dunn line in Essex, Northumberland, Richmond VA (Old Rappahannock Co area) 1650-1730s (connects with my NC/GA Dunn line somehow).

Gary

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 6:08AM GMT
Surnames: Dunn
I descend from Thomas Dunn that you mention in your post. I have it that their father is Thomas Dunn (b 1766 in NC, d 1814 Johnston, NC). Thomas, the son, appeared in the 1850 census of Chambers Co., AL. This line of the Dunn family remained in Chambers Co or Randolph Co., through the birth of my mother who was a Dunn.

I would love to talk with anyone that has info on this line. I have not been able to go much past the Pulaski Co. Dunns.

Cathy

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 2:29PM GMT
Well, it seems there are either additional Dunn families in the same area or a connection not yet found. The Information I have has been pieced together by 8 or 9 researchers working on separate lines of the Dunn family and ended up converging to a John Dunn b. ca 1772 NC - d. ca 1858 AL m. Nancy Jane Harris b. ca 1775 NC & presumed deceased in AL. with 5 sons & 1 daughter connected to them, ALL STILL CIRCUMSTANTIAL. We have them packaged as a family lineage but while we feel it is reasonably accurate, the proof hasn't been found. The families pretty much migrated together from Georgia to Alabama to Arkansas and Texas always staying in close proximity to each other, inter-marrying among descending family, all of which suggested relationship. Several of the Texas family migrated into Indian Territory of Oklahoma, which seemed to be the travel pattern from the beginning, Indian lands. Every branch of this family we have connected to John Dunn b. ca 1772 has stories of Indian ancestry, also suggesting relationship. Don

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2010 8:10PM GMT
Surnames: Vaughn, Dunn
I decend from Frances Marion Dunn from Chambers County. In the 1850 US Federal Census for Alabama they are in Chambers County and he has a niece(?)Alice Dunn living in the home. She married my great grandfather Hiram Franklin Vaughn. I do not know if she is Frances's daughter or a daughter to one of his sons (William who may be widowed) or a daughter to one of his brothers and may be staying with him. I would love to share and maybe find out more for both of us. Please contact me at: BJGage4911@aol.com.

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 4:27PM GMT
Hi Cathy,

I just noticed your reply about the Pulaski GA Dunn line (brothers Thomas and Joel) that ties back to Thomas Dunn in Johnston NC. I've communicated with George Dunn who descends from son Thomas that went to AL. His YDNA matches exactly with my Dunn line that was (per findings) in Craven Co NC and came from Northumberland/Old Rappahannock Co VA. I believe the first in that line to be Walter Dunn who arried 1653 and died in Northumberland 1698 (wife believed to be Mary Nutt). Walter's will is in the lost will book covering the 1690s. Elizabeth Nutt Newman was executrix (sister of Mary Nutt) after her husband Alexander happened to died the same year. I believe that Thomas Dunn #1 (and Benjamin and others) in Dobbs/Johnston NC 1750s-1800 descends from the same Dunn line (possible the
Thomas/William Dunn line in Essex VA which had those names) and is related to Walter (brothers or cousins).

My "proven" line (based partly on circumstantial findings) is William Dunn - Anne Newman married c1700-1710, parents of Newman Dunn born 1714 Richmond Co VA. Newman Dunn married Elizabeth/Martha Cary and died 1761 in Craven NC (children William, John, Walter, Newman, Anne, Mary). Their son William Dunn born c1735-40 died 1798 Craven and wife Sarah (last name believed to be Kilpatrick) had a son named David Dunn born 1760s who is believed to be the David Dunn Sr in Twiggs Co GA 1818 (with David Jr, my ancestor born 1786 died 1857 Marion GA).

A Thomas Dunn in Craven shows up as witness with my Dunn line...so must be a cousin/sibling.

Gary

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 7:38PM GMT
Here are some of the descendants of Thomas Dunn born 1766 died 1814 Johnston Co NC (verified by paper trails). The indents don't work below...hopefully it makes sense. They were Wayne, Dobbs and Johnston NC, with branches in Pulaski GA and then in Jackson and Chambers AL and a branch was in Hamilton and Cocke TN.

Gary

1. Thomas Dunn b1766 VA or Wayne/Dobbs NC d 1814 Johnston NC

a. Diown Dunn b 1785-95 NC

b. Elizabeth Dunn b 1785-95 NC

c. Thomas Dunn b 1786 Wayne/Dobbs NC d 1860 Chambers AL m. Susan Harrell
i. Amanda M. Dunn b 1825
ii. Thomas Henry Dunn b 1827 Pulaski GA d 1918 AL m Martha Jane Osborne
1. Emma C. Dunn
2. Thomas L. Dunn
3. John Henry Dunn b 1859 AL d 1932
4. Lula Dunn b1864 AL
5. Leola Dunn b 1873
iii. Francis Marion Dunn b 1828 Pulaski GA – d after 1880 Chambers AL m. Mary Jane Lee m. Ann A. Kitchens
1. William Henry Dunn b Nov 1853 AL m. Mrs. I.T. Williams m. Sarah Sally Handley
a. Golden Richard Dunn b May 1890 AL m Maude LNU (in Hamilton TN)
i. Anna Elizabeth Dunn b 1914 Hamilton TN
ii. Golden Richard Dunn b 1915 Hamilton TN
b. Annie Lee Dunn b Oct 1891 AL
2. Young Thomas Dunn b 1858 AL
3. Amanda C. Dunn b 1860 AL
4. John Dunn b 1872 AL
iv. Susan Dunn b 1832 Pulaski GA
v. Richard P. Dunn b 1834 Pulaski GA d. AL m Mary Unknown
1. William Henry Dunn b 1856/1857 AL
2. Richard Dunn b 1862 AL
3. John Dunn b AL
4. James Dunn b 1875 AL
5. Rufus Dunn b 1877 AL
vi. Mary Dunn b 1836 GA/AL d 1904 AL m George MS Burdette
vii. Martha Dunn b 1838 GA/AL

d. Joel Dunn b 1799 Wayne NC d 1850 Pulaski GA m. Elizabeth Betsey Harrell
i. Anna/Ann Dunn b 1828 Pulaski GA d 1864 m. John Buchan
ii. Joel Dunn b 1830 Pulaski GA d1864 Cedar Run VA m. Jane Evans
iii. Thomas Dunn b 1831 d 1913

Possible additional children of Thomas Dunn:

Johnston NC - Nancy Dunn m Elijah Stanly 29 Dec 1823 bm Ezekiel Creech
Johnston NC – Nancy Dunn m Josiah Cole 28 Feb 1825 bm Nicholas Rose (also bm for Thomas Dunn – Susannah Harrell)
Johnston NC – Precilla Dunn m Elisha Stanly 11 Sep 1810 bm John Carter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions