MASON, STRANGE,FAIN, HARSHAW

Michelle Mason (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for descendents of the following family:

Austin Mason
Filed claim on 10-17-1871 for loses of 3 mules, 1 horse,
400 bushels of corn, 500 head of cabbage, 2 sheep, 3000
fence rails et. Property was taken 12-10-1863 by troops of Eli Long Union Cavalry in Cherokee Co NC. Witnesses were William Mason (son), and Charley M. Mason (brother).He claimed that he was 56 years old from 4-1-1860 to 6-1865 and that he lived on the farm of Alloway Strange, Brasstown Creek, Hiwassee River. Proof #8599 and #43681.

According to the census of 1860 he was 45 and was born in Burke Co NC.
His wife was born in Wilkes Co NC. He had eight children born in Cherokee Co
NC.
His oldest child was Jane Mason age 18. I believe that Austin had another brother named John. John also had a
farm on the Hiawassee River. Other families with farms
assoicated with the Masons are Fain and Harshaw.
Would like to correspond/exchange information with anyone who may have information about this family.

Michelle Mason
MMason170@aol.com

John Mason

Michael Mason (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: mason
My grandfather, Richard Mason, was born Jan 1, 1879 in Cherokee County North Carolina. According to my father Franklin, Richard's father was John (?) and Richard's mother was Sarah (?). Richard was the third of twelve children. There were six boys and six girls. They were Tom, Robert, Richard, Arthur, Fred, Manual, Ora, Dora, Milley, Viola. The other two I don't know at the moment.

I would like to know if this John Mason is the one you are thinking is Austin's brother?

Fain family

Gay E. Olsen (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Fain, Ballew
I'm looking for information regarding a J. B. Fain who married Eliza Jane Ballew, b. abt. 1834 in Burke Co.,NC. Eliza Jane and her parent's family migrated to Cherokee Co.,NC in the early 1850's. I suppose she met and married J. B. Fain there, although I cannot find a marriage record for them. They are mentioned as husband and wife in a deed when Eliza Jane & J. B. sold her 1/11th share of her father's land. Does anyone recognize this couple?

Re: John Mason

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 11:46AM GMT
I am looking for information on a Richard Mason from Cherokee County who was married to a Susannah (Sherrill maybe) and the father of a Harriet Louise Barnes who married Joshua Rufus Hall. halldaugherty@hotmail.com

Re: MASON, STRANGE,FAIN, HARSHAW

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 8:21PM GMT
My Greatgrandmothers Grandfather was Ausin Mason. Her name was Rosetta Coffee listed as Mason in the census. We can't find out anything about her parents, Cinthia was suppose to be a Step grandmother but I can't corroberate that either. I really need help with this part of my family tree and hope someone can put me on the right path. She married Newton Cearley and had five girls.
I am the grandaughter of the oldest Alva Hill.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic