Search for content in message boards

Henry Gee

Posted: 20 Mar 2009 10:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gee , Welsh
Looking for info on Henry Gee married to Ann Welsh.
Henry died about 1778 and Ann died about 1782.
They were from Lissarow, County Waterford Ireland.
Ann was a sister to Thomas Welsh of Killingford.
Known children were James and Thomas.
James was married to Caroline Fudge. Their sons were
Paul James Gee and Henry Thomas Gee.
Info was extracted from their wills at
The Irish Genealogist of Vol 1, No 2, Oct 1937

Melkennedy4@hotmail.com

Re: Henry Gee

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 7:45PM GMT
I could only find a few records for you more for examples of what you can find on www.censusfinder.com click on Waterford, there are various census, directory references, death records etc.A mine of information. Most come from the data bases of Waterford Library and are free to view.

For eg: 1871 Land owners (no Welsh spellings-name spelling was flexible)
Walsh, Ellen, Main St.Dungarvan 1 acre
Walsh, John, farnane, Cappoquin 84A
Walsh, Michael, Ballingowan, Kilmacthomas 106A
Walsh, Patrick J. Snugsborough, tallow 244 A.
Walsh, Peter, Fanningstown, Pliltown 545 A.
Walsh, Thomas, Glenary, Clonmel 32A

I have the LDS Civil Registrations for Ireland but they only cover the years 1864-1875, the father's of these children would have been born 1840-50's, Michael Gee; Pierce Gee, both of Ringville Waterford, Patt Gee Kilmacthomas.
1831 Tithe Defaulters:

James Gee, Abbeyside, DEcie without Drum(??)Dungarvan, Wat.
In the Griffiths Land Valuations of 1851 for Waterford, ther are 15 GEE'S.

In the death records:

Henery Gee died March,1778 age 80 Ardmore GraveYard Sec8/A2
Anne Gee w/o Henery d April 6, 1782 age 80 years also James and Wife Anastasia,Cappagh. Anastasia lies in Deans Grange Co. Dublin and James their only son and daughter Susan A6/S8

In the Waterford Libary also is a Directory listing:

James Gee, Cappoquin, Gentry and Clery
John Gee, Ardmore, Gentry and Clergy
Patrick Gee, Yougal, Ardmore, Ardochesty, Landowner
along with shoe and bootmakers, tallow chanders, and tobacconist.

I didn't try searching for Welsh/Walsh in the Griffiths Valuation as there were 1,097 of them. No Fudge in Griffiths.

I did find the name Fuge:

Charles Fuge, leasing land from Thomas Walsh, Ardmore, Yougal

Burial record Waterford Library

Caroline Fuge d 21 Jan. 1897 age 55 from Asthma....Ardmore, Yougal daughter Ellie attending

Annette Code
genealogy for fun

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 9:54PM GMT
Thanks Annette

I find Irish records hard to search.
I had searched for Fudge and found nothing.
Fuge makes sense as old records are transcibed
sometimes by error. the connection to Thomas Walsh (Welsh)
makes sense.
Where did you find the burial of the Gee's
I had searched Waterford Library online.

Thanks again

Mel

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 1:52AM GMT
I found it in the Waterford Library Records, it went to burial and then put in Gee and up came all the G's same with Fudge, up came the Fuge. I have been transcribing Irish documents for about 5 years now, and the handwritting is atrocious in some cases, others the writers had almost caligraphy like writing and spellings were so different from what they are today. Also the Latter Day Saints used students to transcribe those records and there are all kinds of errors. Just my feeling is that the Gee's would of been people with money, or of a bit higher class than the average person in those days as I don't think a marriage would of taken place between people of too different a class, so I imagine they would of at least been 'gentlemen' people of property but no titles. Perhaps the land transferred to the Welsh's on marriage. Hard to know now.

I'm impressed with how much is contained in the libraries data bases, in my experience most counties don't part with their information as the Heritage Centers operate on a cost recovery/fee basis.

I mostly do Wicklow and Wexford postings due to my purchases research materials but thought I would play around a bit with Waterford. The Welsh's probably changed to the standard Walsh at some point. My husband's family went from Codd to Code. There are still 6 GEE's in the eircomephonebook.ie if you are looking for relations and some history you could try what I do and write a letter, stamps are inexpensive, plus letters give people time to contemplate an answer while a cold phone call doesn't.

Would they have been R.C. or Protestant? The Protestant records prior to 1899 are held in one place in Dublin, very easy to research in a couple of days.

Annette

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 1:58AM GMT
I forgot to tell you about the Latter Day Saints website, it can be a good place to look: www.familysearch.org
there I found an Anastasia Letitia Gee born 1837 Cappagh Waterford, she married Edward Musgrave, died 30 Jan. 1902, her father was James Gee born 1807 Cappagh, Waterford.

There is UK, USA and Canada Census for 1881 there also,
if you no longer reside in Ireland they are good to look at.

UK Henry Gee born Clonmel, Ireland age 22 Labourer, Riley Green Hoghton, Lancashire, England; wife Ann age 32 born Foxward, Ireland a cotton weaver.

Annette
ps you can search Griffiths Valuations of 1851 on this website.
www.failteromhat.com (Munster)

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 11:24AM GMT
I found out how to use the Waterford County Library site after your first posting. The Welsh family was of money
and I think the Gee's were as well.
The Welsh side I can trace to the 1900's in England and
Australia but the Gee's are a new connection that has just been proven. The problem is the will summary is from around
I did find a relative of another line by using the New Zealand phone book.It wasn't a common name and we knew the family was there in 1900.
Will try the Irish phone book.

Thanks again
Mel from Canada

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 4:39PM GMT
Good luck, a fellow Canadian. Are you interested in the 1864-1873 births for the Gee family? Annette

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 6:09PM GMT
For future referance yes

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 6:43PM GMT
Bridget Gee, born 16 June, 1867; #721, Ringville, Waterford
Fa: Michael Gee Mo. Ellen Flynn FHL Film No. 101148

James Gee born 23 Jan 1871 #884 Ringville, Waterford
Fa: Pierce Gee Mo: Mary Heffernan FHL Film No. 255815

Michael Gee born 10 Aug, 1871 #773 Kilmacthomas, Waterford
Fa: Patt Gee Mo: Mary Kirwan FHL Film No. 255830

Johana Gee born 28 May 1873 #---Kilmacthomas, Waterford
Fa: Patrick Gee Mo: Mary Kirwan FHL Film No. 255881

These film numbers are for the Latter Day Saints, microfilm which you can see at any of their Heritage Centers, if they don't have them they will order them in. Here you just pay for the photocopying. I have two, one burnaby/Vancouver and the other in Abbotsford 40 miles in either direction so if this is any indication you should be able to find one fairly close.

I can get you Canadian Census if you don't have access.

Annette

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 6:25PM GMT
I found my link to the Registry of Deeds:

James Welsh, Cooper, Waterford "several pieces of land in parish of St. John, Waterford City 'deed' Mar 27, 1771

Thomas Welsh Esq. TaylorstownCo. Waterford, Lease May 28 1765 lease of townlands of Ballykennelly in the Barony of Imokiley Co. Cork

Thomas Welsh, Esq. late of Taylorstown Co. Waterford March 11, 1780 Will of "Indented" Sept 30 1780

William Henry no place name Feb 12, 1849 only note is Middletown (don't know if same, there were several Dublin references too.

I have never been able to find the list so that I could go straight to the Index of Wills so I have an e-mail from a contributor that gets me there through the rootsweb board.

freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/`registry of deeds

If successful this will come up with names alphabetized and you just go to the page that way rather than by a name search, this was from a few years ago so maybe now you can google it. Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions