Search for content in message boards

Written Biography on Nashville Judge Stephen W. Childress (1830 - 1903?)

Written Biography on Nashville Judge Stephen W. Childress (1830 - 1903?)

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Childress
I am writing about Judge Childress who once lived at Sunnyside Mansion (then called Lee Monte) in Nashville with his wife Jeanette (Shute) Childress from about 1860 to 1875. Does anyone know if there are any printed biographies of Judge Childress at the Nashville Public Library or elsewhere that I could get my hands on? I live in Baltimore, MD and cannot make it to Nashville anytime soon. I would be willing to do research for anyone in Baltimore, MD in exchange or pay for research. (My office is across the street from the Maryland Historical Society and a few blocks from the Maryland Room at the Pratt Library in Baltimore)

Re: Written Biography on Nashville Judge Stephen W. Childress (1830 - 1903?)

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I did a search for a bio on Stephen Childress without any luck. I did find a report on Sunnyside. The property, 38 1/4 acres, was transferred to John Shute from Mary Benton in May of 1864. John Shute father in law of Stephen Childress deeded the house and 38 acres to Childress in early 1865. Childress owned the propety almost ten years, selling in January of 1875 to Joseph Spence. While Childress and his wife Jeanette owned the house they added to the land eventually owning 140 acres there. The reports states the Childress called the farm Lee Mont in honor of Robert E. Lee. There is a good bit of information about Sevier in the report but little about Childress.
You may write or call Metro Nashville Archives for more information:
Metro Nashville Archives
3801 Green Hills Village Drive
Nashville, TN 37215
(615)862-5880
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions