Search for content in message boards

Is there Indian in us

Is there Indian in us

Posted: 29 Apr 2011 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peavy
My dad always told us we had Indian and although I have only gone a few generations, I wanted to know if any of you have seen or heard that please. My father, Gordon C. Peavy, son of Olis D. Peavy and Ethel Black.

Re: Is there Indian in us

Posted: 30 Apr 2011 3:43PM GMT
My father said that we were Indian through his mother Mary Evalina Peavy Pearson so you are not the only one who has heard that story. I haven't been able to verify much about the family or prove that they were Indian through records so I think the next step for me will be a dna test.

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 1:59PM GMT
I recently posted this message to the Peavy Genforum to ask about a Peavy DNA Project:
"On the Family Tree DNA web site, I saw that nine Peavys and one Pevy have DNA tested, but could not find their results posted anywhere. I have considered looking for a male Peavy cousin to take a y-DNA test, but I would like more than ten others with which to compare, and, of course, I would like to see the results of the ten who have already tested. My gg-grandmother was Rachel PEAVY Brooks, daughter of Charles Peavy from Georgia to Butler Co., Alabama. Does anyone have a living male of the surname Peavy who would be willing to take a DNA test (a few cheek swabs) for a Peavy DNA comparison? Some Peavys of interest are Joshua (an early one in New Hanover Co. NC by 1755 and a later one born 1784 in Brunswick Co., NC, in Conecuh Co., Ala. by 1820/d. 1850's Wilcox Co., Ala.), Dial (in Georgia by 1770's), Abraham (Rev. War soldier from Orange Co., NC to Georgia to Butler Co., Ala.) and, of course, in Alabama and Texas, direct descendants of Charles Peavy.

If you are one of the ten who have tested at FTDNA, please let me know something about your results (haplogroup?, any matches?) and your Peavy genealogy. Thanks."

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 12:42PM GMT
Instead of peavy...Type in peavey.This will take you to a site that has more peavys listed with their DNA. If one of these match your DNA line let me know...

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 1:32PM GMT
Thank you very much. I tried the spellings PEAVY and PEVY then gave up. It seems to me one of those spellings should direct me to this project, but they are not included in this list of spellings which ARE included: Paule, Paveley, Pavely, Paverley, Paverly, Pavey, Pavy, Peaveley, Peavely, Peavey, Peuerel, Peverel, Peverell, Peveril, Peverley, Peverly, Pevey, Sans Peur. Once I opened the chart, I saw that some Peavys are posted on it. The administrator needs to include PEAVY and PEVY so that people who use those spellings to search FTDNA for available projects will be directed to this project. Thanks again.

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 2:44PM GMT
do any of those dna types match yours

Posted: 6 Feb 2012 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Peavy, Cox
I have not had any Peavys in my line to test yet, but I'm looking for someone. Do you have any matches?
I looked at your tree and have an interest in your Peavys, too. Several years ago I corresponded with a Louise Troth about your Wm. Peavy family. They lived fairly close to mine in a neighboring county (Butler, Conecuh, Covington, Crenshaw, Lowndes, Wilcox, and Monroe counties all shared related families). It seems that several Peavys married Coxes. In my records I show an Archibald Peavy who married Patsy COX in 1819 in Baldwin Co., Ga., and Daniel Peavy who married Elizabeth COX in 1818 Hancock Co Ga. Daniel was later in Butler Co Ala, near my ggg-gf, Charles Peavy, who married Rebecca Matthews in 1809--also in Hancock Co. Ga.
Then you also have a Peavy-Cox marriage. Interesting!

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 7:45AM GMT
it is interesting..In answer to your 1st question..I have several really close relatives who are on the nansemond tribal rolls, Through the Bass's, I know that We go back to the Appalachee, through the Torres and Edwards, these are both through my father's mother...Daddy always said that we were choctaw and that Peavy was the name we took when we left the reservation..What reservation..Where..When..I wish I knew..

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 4:45AM GMT
Melissa,

My Grandaddy, Charles Peavy, says that his grandmother Peavy was full blooded Cherokee Indian. I can try to find out more details. Grandaddy is 90 years old and sharp as a whip, but has a hard time remembering older family details. Again, I will try my best!

Rachel Peavy

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 12:42AM GMT
Thank you that would be lovely. My e-mail is pennington1901@msn.com.

Joan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic