Search for content in message boards

Bohemians from Pisek or Malcice Bohemia

Bohemians from Pisek or Malcice Bohemia

MaryJo (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 7:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KOTILINEK, Schneider, Janu, Pavlik
Looking for information or realtives from Czechoslovakia - Bohemia. KOTILINEK, Schneider, Janu, Pavlik -all from Pisek or Malcice areas. Emmigated toUS in 1850's via NewYork then Chicago and finally to East Maple Lake, Minnesota.

Re: Bohemians from Pisek or Malcice Bohemia

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2004 8:26PM GMT
MaryJo, I wanted to mention for the sake of historical accuacy that there was no such thing as Czechoslovakia back in the time period you're talking about. Czechoslovakia did not come into existence until 1919! Czechslovakia existed as a country from 1919 to 1938, and again from 1945 to 1993.

Your relatives were from what was until 1918 the Austrian province of Bohemia (in German: Böhmen; capital: Prague). To the east of Bohemia is what was until 1918 the Austrian province of Moravia (in German: Mähren; capital: Brünn). Bohemia was about 50% German, 50% Czech. Moravia was about 70% Czech, 30% German.

Following World War I and the break-up of the Austro-Hungarian Empire by the Allies, Austria had to cede Bohemia and Moravia to the newly created Czechoslovakia, despite the large German population in both provinces. (Hungary had to give up Upper Hungary to form the Slovakia half of the new country.) Czechoslovakia ceased to exist in 1993, when Slovakia became an independent country. Bohemia and Moravia are the two components of today's Czech Republic.

Despite promises to the contrary, the Czech authorities did not treat the 3 million Germans of Bohemia and Moravia, who became known as the "Sudeten Germans", very well. The Sudeten Germans were made to feel like second-class citizens in their own country (as were the Slovaks, for that matter). The final result was the Munich Agreement of 1938, by which Czechoslovakia had to cede the German-populated "Sudetenland" to Germany.

Following World War II, the Allies resurrected Czechoslovakia. The 3 million Sudeten Germans were thereupon expelled from their homes by the Czech authorities.

I will refer you to a simple map of the pre-1919 Austro-Hungarian Empire, so that you can see how Bohemia fit into pre-1919 Austria:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/austhung.htm

Robert

MaryJo (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2004 1:52PM GMT
Robert - Thank You ! I am very grateful to you for the clarifications. I see there is alot more I have to learn. My mother and her twin were the only children of older parents. Not much talk about heritage or ancestors ever happened in there home. Consequently we (my mother and I ) feel as if we are starting from scratch in our search for our roots. My mother always knew she was Bohemian and that her Maternal Grandparents and One Uncle were born in "the Old Country" and that on her father's side they had also been Bohemian. You have given me a much clearer picture of 'the Old Coutry".
Could you tell me just a bit more - where was the land that you called Sudetenland?
Again many thanks for taking the time to help educate.

Posted: 5 Sep 2004 1:24PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT

Posted: 25 Nov 2004 11:58PM GMT
My Kotilinek ancestors immigrated from Pisek in 1854, spent 20 years in Chicago and moved to Maple Lake Minnesota in 1872. Still lots of Kotilineks in ML. A distant relative wrote a family history ~20 years ago. Let me know if you'd like a copy. We visited Pisek a few years ago--quaint and cute little town! Kathy Vokaty

MaryJo (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2004 4:06PM GMT
Oh My Gosh - Yes of course I would LOVE a copy!!!!!

You've been to Pisek?? How cool!!! Did you find any church records? Were you doing genealogy or just on a trip??

And can we get together to visit about your trip to Pisek????

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Kotilinek and Janu
Hi Mary Jo, I don't think we have been in touch before, but I have Kotilinek and Janu ancestors in Malcice, Pisek, Bohemia. My 5th great-grandfather, Jiri Kotilinek was born on the 12th of Apr 1747 in Malcice. He is the son of Vavrince Kotilinek and Marzena whose maiden name I believe is Wosmyka. Jiri married Anna Janova 12th of Oct 1766 in Radobytce Parish, Pisek, Bohemia. She is the daug. of Frantisek Janu and Marena Bilkova.
Jiri and Anna (Janova) Kotilinek had a daug. Veronika who was born 25th of March 1771 in Malcice. Veronika married Vojtech Stech the 12th of Oct 1794 in Malcice. I am pretty sure that Veronika's brother was Jan Krtitel Kotilinek born 25th of May 1778 in Malcice and he married Anna Schneider. I know this is the family who came to Maple Lake, Minnesota, as I was sent a copy of that Kotilinek history that I believe someone referred to, that you were trying to get. Did you get a copy? Anyway, I have alot of info on this family. Please email me directly at perh3976@centurylink.net as I am no longer an ancestry member although I do have 3 family trees there still. Maybe we can share and help each other. Please email me. Thanks Steve Hall
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions