Search for content in message boards

Henry Sydney Benfield, d. 1900-1910, likely Catawba Springs area, Lincoln Co.

Henry Sydney Benfield, d. 1900-1910, likely Catawba Springs area, Lincoln Co.

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 3:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone by any chance have access to information on a Henry Sydney Benfield who would have died between 1900 and 1910, likely in Lincoln County? He was b. about 1830-32 in Mecklenburg, but in 1900 was listed as widowed, living with his daughter, Katie M. Benfield McConnell and her husband James in Catawba Springs, Lincoln County. I have not been able to find him in 1910, so I believe he would have died in the interim. His wife's name was Jane, possibly Jane Rice, and she died between 1880 and 1900.

I am particularly interested in locating an obituary or death certificate, if possible, as I am trying to determine more information about his parents, though I realize I am unlikely to find a death certificate. I know that the father was Daniel Benfield, from the census, and the mother was either Martha or Rutha or Martha Rutha, maiden name unknown.

I am a descendant of his brother, John R. Benfield. I have found death certificates for John, brothers Bailus Edney Benfield, Daniel Ferguson Benfield, sister Mary Jane Benfield McConnell, all of which do not give names of parents. Still working on a few of the other siblings, but have to find good death dates on them first and hope that they lived long enough to have a death certificate.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Henry Sydney Benfield, d. 1900-1910, likely Catawba Springs area, Lincoln Co.

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 4:40AM GMT
This website has some information about this family
I think becuase some of them moved to GA from NC

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ga/rabun/bios/b5140001....

Debra

I did not find Henry listed in the NC Death Collection
on Ancestry
Will see if i can find any information for ya!

Re: Henry Sydney Benfield, d. 1900-1910, likely Catawba Springs area, Lincoln Co.

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 5:43AM GMT
I have not yet been able to make a connection with this family. My Benfields show up in Mecklenburg County in 1850. From what I have been able to find, the Daniel that is listed as the son of John Benfield and Elizabeth Hartle was b. 1803 and married Elizabeth Pitts in the 1820s, dying in Lincoln County in 1836.

My Daniel, on the other hand, was in Mecklenburg by 1850 and died there.

Mecklenburg County p. 41 B Ramah District, 12 Aug 1850
dwelling 662
Daniel Benfield 45 farmer real 400 all b. NC
Martha 39
Sydney 18 farmer
Edney 11 attended schol
Elvira 9 attended school
John 7
Daniel 6
Sarah 1

This puts Daniel at b. about 1805, which doesn't seem to mesh with any of the known Daniel Benfields from other areas of NC. (Elvira is Elvira Amanda, who later married William Russ in 1856).

Daniel died by 1853, per the Mecklenburg Record of Accounts

Book 7, p. 102
Daniel Benfield, estate by Thom. H. Bren, admin. January term 1854, widow's year's allowance filed

By 1860, there's the widow and younger girls
1860 Mecklenburg County, Western Division p. 139
dwelling 1065 family 1129
Rutha Benfield 46 widow labor 50 in personal property all b NC
Mary 8
Margaret 7

but the boys are scattered and Amanda has married (Sarah may have died, may have been absorbed into another family on that census and then married):
John Rufus working for Thomas Blakely
Henry Sydney with Joseph King
Bailus Edney I haven't found in 1860 yet, but I have him later and a picture of the siblings from the early 1900s, he had married about 1859
not sure where Daniel Ferguson had gone either, but he shows up later as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions