Search for content in message boards

blanchard-louisiana

blanchard-louisiana

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 10:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: blanchard
i am needing help on a family secret, my grandmother died and so did all of her aunts/uncles. NOBODY in the family "back in the day" would talk about this...marin blanchard had a daughter named virginie odile blanchard, she did not marry and had two sons, joseph and albert(i think). my desc. is from joseph that lived in breaux bridge, la, i cannot find out any info on the brother or who the father was. from what i gather they did have the same father...i have a theroy, but w/out the facts i dont want to offend anyone w/is related to the father...any info would help lay to rest this family mystery...

Re: blanchard-louisiana

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 9:24PM GMT
Hi,

I think I have found out a little about your "family secret". I found Odile Blanchard on the 1860 census for St. Martin Parish, Grande Pointe. She was 24 and living with her widowed mother and numerous other family members including a sister, Josephine. The faimly lived at house #408. The page # is 52.

In 1870, Odile Blanchard was the head of household in Ward 1, St. Martin Parish. Census is on page 442. Living with her were Albert Tally [3 months old], Joseph Savoie [10 years old] and Edward Jennings [37 years old]. Joseph and Edward are shown as swampers. I think that this shows that the two boys did not have the same father. I went back to the 1860 census and found that in house #406 there lived a W.D. Tally who was 35 and a planter. He lived alone. However, there was a woman and child with that surname living in Grande Pointe. I suspect he may have been the father of Albert.

In 1880, Joseph Blanchard [no longer using the Savoie name], 21 and Albert Tally, 10, were living with their Aunt Josephine and her family. She was married to Aristide Cormier. Both boys were farm laborers.

The next census is 1900 and I did not find Albert. I did find Joseph in 1900 and 1910. If you live in Louisiana, you should be able to find the birth/baptismal records for the two boys. They would be in Father Hebert's books. Joseph would have been born about 1860 and Albert about 1870. You could try Blanchard first and if you don't find them, check Savoie and Tally. Sometimes the spelling of Tally looked like Tully, but I think it was Tally. Albert may have died after the 1880 census. You could check for a death record for him between 1880 and 1900. I forgot to check for a death record for Joseph. It should give his father's name. If I find one, I'll let you know.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, write and I'll try to answer.

Cheryl

Posted: 3 Dec 2011 9:02PM GMT
Hello,

I may have found that instead of dying sometime after the 1880 census, Albert Tally, may have done like his brother and reverted back to being a Blanchard like his mother. In 1900 I found an Albert Blanchard in St. Martin Parish. He was 28 [should have been 30]. I checked the 1880 census and did not find an Albert Blanchard who was 8. In 1910, I again found this same Albert Blanchard and he was 38 [should have been 40]. In 1920, the same Albert Blanchard was shown as being 50 which would have been the correct age [born in 1870]. I am not certain that it was your Albert, but there is a very good possibility that it was indeed him. He would have married about 1894. His wife was Erasie [not sure of spelling]. If possible you can find his marriage record in Father Hebert's books and you may find his father's name or at least his mother's name to confirm that this is the correct Albert who was the brother of your Joseph. This Albert lived in Breaux Bridge.

I was not able to find a definitive record of Joseph Blanchard's death, but it appears that he did die after 1910. Do you know the year of his death?

I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Cheryl

Posted: 6 Dec 2011 3:11AM GMT
Hello,

The Albert Blanchard that I found had at least the following kids: Marie, Martha, Laura or Dora, Loretta, Electa, Elaine or Elida, Clebert, Birdie and Bertina. By 1920, Martha was the widow of a Dore. Le Comite des Archives de la Louisiane has published transcripts of the cemeteries of St. Martin Parish. Albert, Erasie, Birdie, Bertina and possibly Martha are listed on page 191. On page 195 there is a M/M Joseph Blanchard which may be your ancestors.

In 1900 and 1920 Albert Blanchard was a farmer. By 1920, he was a house carpenter.

Cheryl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic