Search for content in message boards

John Hilton of Bristol England

John Hilton of Bristol England

Posted: 24 Aug 2005 11:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Mar 2006 2:22PM GMT
Surnames: HYLTON, HILTON
John Hilton arrived in New Kent County Virginia some time in the 1670's or 1680's. The names of his descendents are well documented on this site and elsewhere. I notice that there are several references here to his being born in Bristol, England in 1665 or thereabouts. In the Bristol indenture records, there is a record of a John Hilton entering into an indenture contract in 1672. However, that record is silent as to his age or place of birth. Is anyone aware of an actual source that establishes that the New Kent County, Va. John Hilton was actually born in the port city of Bristol.

Gordon Hylton
Charlottesville Virginia

Re: John Hilton of Bristol England

Posted: 7 Nov 2005 9:01AM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2006 2:19PM GMT
John Hilton "of Bristol" is believed to be John Hilton of Warcop, Westmoreland who was arrested "for not complying with the statutes", apprenticed in Bristol to a Virginian Planter, and deported.
See;
http://www.ancestryuk.com/hilton_village-westmoreland.htm

Any information you have on the first years of John Hilton in Virginia would be much appreciated.

Eric

Joseph Hylton (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2005 4:04PM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2006 2:18PM GMT
This is a fascinating revelation. Sometime between his arrival in Virginia in the early 1670's and the 1690's this John Hilton became the sexton of the Anglican Parish in New Kent County, Virginia. It is at least mildly ironic that someone who was deported for his resolute Catholicism in England would end up with a primary affiliation with the Anglican Church in Virginia.

When you say it is believed that the John Hilton who was endentured in Bristol is John Hilton of Warcop, what is the basis of the belief. Is it more than just the coincidence of name and date?

If you do a google search on "New Kent" "John Hilton" and "St. Peters Parish" you will find several sites that discuss the Virginia career and family of this John Hilton.

J. Gordon Hylton
Professor of Law
Marquette University
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Re: John Hilton of "Bristol?" England

Posted: 7 Nov 2005 6:54PM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2006 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: HYLTON
I did not say he was deported for his " resolute catholicism." He was deported because he did not conform to the government statutes in 1666,i.e. to attend Anglican Church or Chapel & was judged by his local peers..
Areas around Kendal and Appleby in Westmoreland England saw the start of the Quaker movement from 1652 onwards, and it's interesting to note that the Hilton family of Westmoreland had followed the Catholic religion whereas the main Durham branch of the family had followed the protestant religion from 1569 onwards. Both branches of the family had intermarried again by 1666., and John could have followed either the catholic or protestant religion.
My personal view is that after the civil war, the population in Westmoreland was tired of the bloodshed caused by religious wars and it's interesting to note that the Hilton family of Appleby (incl Warcop), traditionally catholic were charged by their fellow countrymen with not having attended church or chapel. It was an opportunity to solve a problem that had been ongoing for over 100 years. Maryland had already been established as a refuge for Catholics by Lord Baltimore (see Kiplin Hall, Yorks) for Catholics and another John Hilton of Gainford Durham is recorded at St Mary's Church in Maryland as early as 1635-50.
There are strong links between the Hilton family of Westmoreland England and the Washington Family of Warton/Kendal/Cockermouth in Westmoreland/Cumberland England. It seems too much of a coincidence for both families to turn up at the same time in the northern neck of Virginia and to be involved with St Peter's church in New Kent County at the same time. It's certainly worthy of further serious research.
Eric

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: HILTON, HELTON, MORRIS
Good Evening FRIENDS. I am Paul Morris Hilton of New Brunswick, Canada. I have 85 pages of Genealogy on John Helton which is the name he would probably go by. There are approx. 20 spellings of the surname Hilton. I have one family in this Genealogy who has 5 different spellings of the Hilton Surname. He would have been 9 if age and dates are correct - when he came to Virginia. I received my Genealogy from a Cousin in California who actually was born in New Kent Co., VA. and seems to be a relative of John Helton. He was indentured upon comeing to US. Bristol would probably be the port of departure for John and the other passengers and not the place of birth- but we are not sure of this. The fires of London of 1666 and 1679 caused the great loss of documentation. We have not been able to
find the parents of John Helton or Hilton. He probably left Durham or another North Eastern area ( Sunderland). I am not in contact with Eric Lamberton any longer as his observations seem to ahve changed for most of the documented data which he previously had different feelings or thoughts on. He is at present trying to change the History of the Maine Hiltons- musch of which has been documented already. The basis of religious belief would not jibe with age and date of birth. It is the feeling of
some of the family that he was probably adopted or took the name of a Helton or Hilton with whom he lived in US after leaving England.This latter comment is not certain but is in the thoughts of us. We still try and find data which may confirm more data. I ahve been working on the Hilton and Morris Family Trees since I was 14 and my family knew of my love for History and turned over documentation then held by them. I am now 67 and work on any connections everday on my Computer. I have 86000 names in my current Data Base. Thanks for taking time to read this info. I look forward to hearing from you at any time and will share any data with you.Bye for now and all the best in your Research. Sincerely,Paul Morris Hilton - tinym81@nb.sympatico.ca

Posted: 6 Feb 2007 12:12AM GMT
WOW!! Paul you sure have done a lot of work. I've been doing my family research off & on since I was 12 or 13. My grandmother used to tell me stories of distant family members coming over on "potato boats" I think that she was pulling my leg. And now that I'm older I don't know where my family on paternal grandparents side came from. I don't have a lot of info but after seeing how many names you have just wondering if you could pick up anything and help me a bit? I live in NC and my grandparents were from southern MS. Okay, here goes my 2nd great-grandmother was a Hilton. She married a Leonard W. Smith in about 17 DEC 1874. Now here is where my troubles are. I've been told by my grandmother that my 2nd great-grandmother was Native American that to this day remaines to be seen. But some where I've seen that her father was a John James Hilton. My 2nd great-grandparents are buried in Brookhaven,MS. Since I've seen so many English Hiltons I thought that maybe I should ask you if most Hiltons are English?
Thank you for any help or a place that you can point me in. And thank you for all the work you have done.

Cindy

Posted: 6 Feb 2007 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: HILTON, MORRIS
Hi Cindy. I will look up the info you have given me re your family. contact me at tinym81@nb.sympatico.ca and I will send you an Email. I have to look for some info. Donny Hylton - a cousin of mine sent me a Hylton, Helton, Hilton Genealogy which took him many years to collect. Some of it was given to him by another perrson who got a lot of my family material from me originally. My MOM and GRANDMOTHER worked on the history back in the 1920's up to about the 1970's. I actually started getting into history back in the 1950's. I have the Hilton Coat of Arms which dates back to 1272. Hylton Castle is our Ancestral Home in Sunderland, Durham CCo. England. Actually the Hilton Name originated back past the Celts, then Scandinavians, Norman French of William the Conqueror and then English and probably there are Scots, Irish and Welsh mixed into the soup mix. I can send you a copy on CDs. of both Genealogies
When time permits, get in touch as I do not have a full time connection to Ancestry.com Bye for now, LOL, PAUL MORRIS HILTON

Posted: 6 Feb 2007 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: HILTON, MORRIS
Hi Cindy. I am having a bit of a problem as I use a different address on other sites. Could you send me an Email to tinym81@nb.sympatico.ca and then I can contact you at your Email address. I will give you a bit of history of
of the Hilton Family. I ahve tried to send more data but I cannot seem to send this through. The Hiltons go abck to beyond the Celts, Scandinavians, Norman French, English then North American. There are approx 20 spellings of the Hilton name. I ahve a CD of the Genealogy of both lots of info and will send them to you- NO CHARGE. Sincerely Yours, Paul Morris Hilton. Are you connected to William Hilton of Hilton Head Island. I am related to his 1/2 Brothers William and Edward of New Hampshire ??

Posted: 8 Mar 2007 3:17AM GMT
I saw your post and think its wonderful that you and your family have post so much time, effort, and love into researching the Hilton line. I and from the Hilton that from New kent Co., Va. and I wanted to know if I could get a copy of the CD of the Hilton family that you mentioned? My father and I have hit a brick wall trying to find out where John Hilton came from. My email address is mjhelton@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

Mary

Posted: 10 Mar 2007 2:16PM GMT
Below is the text of an email I recently sent to Paul Hilton who has been extremely generous in sharing his information with me.

Paul

Thanks for the link to the My Family site. There is a wealth of information there. However, I find nothing to support the claim that our John Hilton was born in Bristol in 1655 or 1665. It really isnt fair to others to post information on the Internet unless you are sure that it is true, or unless you identify the sources on which your speculation is based. To simply say that you learned about it from someone in England really isnt enough.

I will keep you posted on my own research. The English parish records that have been compiled by the Mormon Church contain the names of a number of John Hiltons born in the mid-17th century. Unfortunately, John Hilton/Hillton/Helton was a fairly common name in England in the 1600's. Anyone of these could be our John Hilton. On the other hand, he may have been from a parish whose records did not survive or which have not been catalogued. What we are lacking is a clue.

If he was the John Hilton was was indentured in Bristol in 1674, then he could not have been born any later than 1657--the indenture was for four years. Had he been younger than 17 the servitude period would have lasted until he turned 21, and would have been for more than four years. The circumstantial evidence in the Virginia land records indicate that that John Hilton came to the York/New Kent County area. (Unfortunately, the New Kent deed records were destroyed during the Civil War but the York records survive.)

A strong circumstantial case can be made that the John Hilton who was indentured in Bristol in 1674 and our John Hilton are the same person. However, we appear to have hit a wall when it comes to finding information about his life in England.

J. Gordon Hylton, J.D., PhD.
Professor of Law and History, Marquette University
Visiting Professor of Law, Washington & Lee University

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions