Search for content in message boards

Nova Lipa (Novore Lipe?), Austria

Nova Lipa (Novore Lipe?), Austria

Roberta Frankovich (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2001 3:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Frankovich, Frankovitch, Frankowitc
My father always said my grandmother was from Croatia. I have no solid information. I have been told her brother was born in Nova Lipa, but there is no mention of my grandmother. I have also learned that there could be at least 3 other sibs. Can anyone please tell me how I might go about finding information on my great-grandparents and their children. The only information I have about my great-grandparents is their names and that they were married somewhere near Vienna. I appreciate any help.

Re: Nova Lipa (Novore Lipe?), Austria

Posted: 4 Dec 2001 3:59PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2002 5:25PM GMT
Your Frankovich / Frankovic ancestors are probably from Nova Lipa, Slovenia. The Slovenian telephone directory has two Frankovic in Nova Lipa today. This village belongs to the postal district of Vinica and probably to the parish of Vinica as well. It is quite likely that, rather than being married near Vienna, they were married in Vinica. If the information came from an official church record, the Latin version for Vinica may have caused confusion, leading someone to believe this was Vienna. Vinica is very near the Croatian border, so it is possible the family originated in Croatia centuries ago. Large numbers of Serbs and Croatians fled their homes during the 16th and 17th centuries because of the constant Turkish attacks during this period.

Posted: 5 Dec 2001 5:19AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2002 5:11PM GMT
Hello Roberta,

What was your GMs maiden name?

Checking the Ellis Is. records there are over 200 listings for FRANKOVIC with several coming from Nova Lipa. However there is also a Nova Lipa in Croatia. At least in Croatian this translates new linden (tree).

Perhaps posting first names and your GMs maiden name in your query would help.

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland, Ohio

Roberta Frankovich (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2001 12:29PM GMT
Surnames: Frankovich, Frankovitch, Frankowitc
My grandother's maiden name is Mary Frankovich. In my searches I have also seen it written Frankovitch. My great grandparents are George Frankowitc and Anna Goewetch. Actually, I am trying to prove that George and Anna were her parents. It seems, the more I dig, the bigger the mystery becomes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions