Search for content in message boards

Jennett or ?

Jennett or ?

Posted: 18 Jan 2014 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jennett
Am searching for my wife's family. I have traced Peter Jason who was her great grandfather to his father Peter Jason alias Peter Jenett on a civil war pension application. Peter Sr. I believe had a brother Charles who I have found was born somewhere in Maine on 5 May 1836. Both Peter Sr. and Charles were in the Union Army. Both wounded at the same battle. Cold Harbor Va., but Peter was to later die from his wounds while Charles recovered. I think Charles and Peter's parents were John B. Jennett and Clarisa Hewett but I cannot 100% confirm this information. Charles lived in Malone N.Y. with wife Emily Prue (Prou/Proulx) and family. He lived to be 106 years old per the transcription on his tombstone. The name Jennett can be Jeanotte/Jeannote/Jeannotte or any number of other spellings. If any of these names are familiar to any one and have information about these people please let us know as we have been searching for these people for a long time.
Thank You
Greg & Carol Pilon
Flint Mich.

Re: Jennett or ?

Posted: 21 Jan 2014 2:46PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

This is your problem when trying to trace ppl before 1850 -

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"
Immigration date is not recorded

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members with their birthplaces

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 4:16PM GMT
Greg, this was on the Clinton Co., NY forum back in 2001:

My Peter Jennett real name was Peter Jason. He married Melissa Parrish under that name. The rest of his brothers and sisters were called Jason. His father was Francis Jason and his Mother was Rose ???.
I have interesting facts regarding his marriage and Civil War Army Service.
Sue

Also, I found Melissa Jennett in 1880 in Clinton Co. with daughter Sarah, age 17 (born 1862 or 63).

Sandra

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 6:33PM GMT
Sandra, I have found similar information recently also. Did Peter Jason have 3 wives? On the pension application it states that the widow is Melissa Jenett. Then 2 contesting widows with a minor Peter Jason. One of the contesting widows is listed as "Cole, Harriet Jason". We think that this is Peter Jason Jr.'s mother. At least that's what is stated in Jr.'s obituary. The other contesting widow is listed as "Jason, Eliza". The people I am interested in are of course Peter Jason/Jenett and Harriet (LaRue maiden name) Jason.
I did find a Francis Jason married to a Rose ?, but I wasn't sure they were the right parents?
Did Peter Sr. have a brother Charles? I found a Charles Jennett and his family in Franklin Co. NY. and he was in the 98th NY regiment also.
Do You know where Peter Sr. was born? Peter Jr. states in the 1900 Michigan census he was born in Canada and emigrated in 1870 at the age of 9yrs. I have seen various places for Peter Sr. as Vermont, Maine and Canada?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Greg and Carol Pilon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic