Search for content in message boards

Hunter and Boone Families; NC > KY

Hunter and Boone Families; NC > KY

Cathy (Hunter) Arp (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2000 1:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:15AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Boone
My grandmother wrote that Jacob Hunter and his three sons travelled from North Carolina with the Boone family and arrived at the area now called Ft. Boonesborough, Jessamine County, Kentucky, around 1780. My great-great-great-grandfather was born in Jessamine County and was supposedly named after Daniel Boone.

I've been trying to find out which of Jacob's sons was Daniel's father with no success.

Cathy

Re: Hunter and Boone Families; NC > KY

Cathy (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2000 6:05PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter, Boone
Cathy, I do not have a direct answer to your queston, But my great,great great great grandfather was a Henry Hunter and may have been a brother to your Jacob Hunter. He was born about 1747 on North Carolina about died 1810 Jessamine county Kentucky.He was married twice anda son from his first marraige William Hunter born 1768 in North Carolina married Sarah Boone in 1787 in Kentucky. Sarah Boone was the neice of Daniel Boone.Her father EDWARD bOONE WAS WAS KILLED BY iNDIANS. I have a book about the early history of Jessamine county Kentucky that says the following.

John Hunter,Samuel Hunter, Jacob Hunter came to Jessamine county Kentuckyin the spring of 1779. Jacob was the oldest and was born about 1753. They first stopped at Boonesboro in 1778,and were employed by Elias Hite son of Abraham Hite who was at that time engaged in surveying the lands of Kentucky. The father of these young men died at Boonesboro. They had two sister. They had been employed by Elias Hite as chain carriers and they all settled close to each other on Hickam creek. The following letter shows when they were dismissed.

Dear Father dismiss the chain carriers John Hunter, Samuel Hunter and Jacob Hunter pay them six schillings per day for three months services on Boone and Hickam creek.

Tell Mr. Douglas to go at once to Boonesboro.

Here in 1780 was born Joseph Hunter who was the first white child born in the present boundary of Jessamine county. Joseph Hunter lived to be quite an old man. He died in 1858.

Jacob Hunter left Jessamine county and went to Owen county where he died after attaining the extreme old age of 100 years.

Samuel Hunter settled some miles above these other two brothers on Hickem Creek. These were the first white white men who ever under took a permanent settlement in Jessamine County. They did not build forts or block houses and were doubtless driven in about 1782 when the Indians were so determined in their assaults on the Kentucky settlers.

boyd hunter (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2000 6:17PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:34AM GMT
Cathy Iam soory I posted your name. Iwas the one who sent you the information on the Jessamine County Hunters with Great,G,G,G, Grandfather of Henry Hunter.

Posted: 8 Jan 2000 10:55PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:20AM GMT
Hi, again!

Well, I guess this information narrows my search to Samuel Hunter. Other Hunters have told me that Daniel was not the son of Jacob the son. Joseph would have been around 12 -14 years old so that would make him a little too young. You're letting me know that it wasn't John. So, that leaves Samuel.... I will write to the email address you gave me and check it out.

Thanks a million!

Cathy

Daniel Hunter

Boyd Hunter (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2000 4:54PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:35AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Cathy have you had any more luck in finding who Daniel fathers was?

Re: Daniel Hunter

Posted: 12 Jan 2000 7:06AM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:35AM GMT
Hi, Boyd,
Unfortunately no. I wrote to Mr Cobb and he had your line. He's getting over the flu and hopefully will write when he's well.
I'm still looking.
My grandmother did say in her notes that Randolph Hearst's monthly magazine, The American, profiled the history of the Hunters (syaing that the Hunters had more ancestors than any other family...hmmm). I think she got the information that the first Hunters were Jacob and William who came from England from this magazine. She didn't say when the article was published, but I figure probably the 1920s - 1930s (she died in the 50's). I'm going to call two nearby colleges and see if they have the Readers' Guide to Periodicals back to that era (the public libraries do not). If they do, I'll go check it out. If I can find reference to the Hunters in it and write down the specific volume and pages, the local library says it can obtain a copy of the article...
We shall see.

So, I'm continuing on my search.

Take care,

Cathy

boyd hunter (View posts)
Posted: 8 Mar 2000 7:33PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:21AM GMT
Cathy do you have this E-MAIL ADDRESS it has alot of info on Jessamine Kentucky where some of the Hunters lived and maybe your Daniel Hunter a long one at.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~kyjessam/index.htm

Posted: 22 Feb 2001 4:20AM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:21AM GMT
If were talking about the same person, then we are related, I am a decendant of Edward Boone, he was a brother to Sarah and Daniel, thier parents were Squire Boone and Sarah Morgan, Sarah Boone was born 6/18/1724, her brother Edward, died 10/06/1724, while he and Daniel were out hunting, (he was killed by indians)Just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth, I have alot of info. on the Boones, if you think I can help let me know, I'm a Hunter through Creed Casper Hunter, who married Cener Boone, daughter of Sqiure Boone, the great grandson of Edward Boone.

Posted: 25 Feb 2001 6:48PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:22AM GMT
Cathy, I am a descendant of Charles Hunter, Sr. of Rowan Co. N.C.-wife Mary ?, oldest son Jacob Hunter, Sr. and wife Mary . They had three sons John, Jacob Jr., Samuel. Charles Hunter Sr. and Daniel Boones father were originaly from PA and they migrated to Rowan Co. N.C.-on the forks of the Yadkin River. Jacob Sr. with wife and three sons did go to Ft. Boonesborough with Daniel Boone, but it was Boones 2nd time 1779. They helped Boone settle Boones Station end of 1779 and 1780. The family were the first white settlers in Jessamine Co. Ky. on Hickman Creek. The home of Jacob Hunter, Sr. built in 1792 is still standing and is beautiful. The book refered to that Jacob Sr. died is incorrect--have read that and sorry to say it is misleading. Jacob Sr. lived to give land to his three sons. Jacob Jr. and John Hunter have pension applications on microfilm for Am Rev. War. Just recently joined Society of Boonesborough and proved that Jacob Sr.and family did stay there for a short time. Draper Manuscript has interviews of Sarah (Boone) Hunter wife of William Hunter. She tells a great deal of info. Peter Adams(nephew of Jacob Sr.) also interviewed in Draper M. telling about living with this family in Jess. Co. Ky. Have lots of info. on this line--come through Jacob Jr. daughter Eleanor m. Samuel Renfroe. Will be glad to share with anyone. Leave a message and will try to answer.

William Hunter

Jim Adams (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2001 4:43AM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:24AM GMT
Surnames: Hunter
Jae, in your info do you have any siblings
born to Wm Hunter in the year 1792? My ggg-
grandfather was born "Benjamin Franklin Hunter in 1792 in what is now Scott County,
Va. My tree is at a dead end to proceed further back. I have info on who I think might be his parents, but can't make the connection. Any help will be appreicated.
Jim in Jaxvl, Fl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic