Search for content in message boards

Thomas ELLIS of the Lost Colony of Roanoke and His Son Robert ELLIS

Thomas ELLIS of the Lost Colony of Roanoke and His Son Robert ELLIS

William A. Roper, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2005 7:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ellis, Ellice
Amongst the Lost Colonist at Roanoke Island, settling in 1587 in the expedition of Governor John WHITE is a Thomas ELLIS and a child named Robert ELLIS.

I have recently been looking at some of these Colonists; genealogical background and have found that at least several were from St. Clement Danes, Westminster, London. Two couples with particularly unique names very clearly identify St. Clement Danes as a place of origin for at least several of the Colonists.

For example, Governor John WHITE's daughter Elinor was married to an Ananias DARE. And there is a couple named Ambrose and Elizabeth VICCARS, with son Ambrose VICCARS, Jr. Amongst marriage records shown in the IGI are:

Ananias DARE m Elinor WHYTE on 24 JUN 1583 - St. Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England
Ambrose VICCARS married Elizabeth PHILLIPS on 23 APR 1582 - Saint Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England
[IGI Batch No. M041608]

Accordingly, I began to check ALL of the names at Roanoke Island against the IGI index of St. Clement Danes parish records and ran across this record:

Robart ELLICE (chr 18 NOV 1576 - Saint Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England), son of Thomas ELLICE

This Robert would have been age 11 at the date of the voyage to Roanoke. Given St. Clement Danes' identification as a point of origin for other Roanoke Colonists, I believe that we may be reasonably assured that this Robert ELLIS is the Robert ELLIS who traveled with his father to Roanoke with Governor John WHITE.

Re: Thomas ELLIS of the Lost Colony of Roanoke and His Son Robert ELLIS

Susan Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2005 2:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
THIS IS IMPORTANT RESEARCH AND I THANK YOU.

FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE JUST BEGINNING GENEALOGY, CAN YOU TELL ME THE CHILDREN OF ROBERT ELLIS?

IS THERE A WEBSITE YOU RECOMMEND?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic