Search for content in message boards

Thomas Lindley - Lindley's Mill

Thomas Lindley - Lindley's Mill

Posted: 11 Sep 2005 10:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
I thank you in advance for whatever help that you can give me. I am trying to help my friend get her DAR papers. I am hoping that she can qualify through Thomas Lindley, Sr. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Thomas Lindley - Lindley's Mill

Posted: 23 Sep 2005 7:46PM GMT
Edited: 24 Nov 2006 10:20PM GMT
I contacted DAR once about Thomas Lindley and they told me they did not have him as a patroit. That does not mean he wasn't; it only means you have to prove it. Please contact me as I am one of his descendents and maybe I can help.
Dixie

Posted: 25 Sep 2005 3:45PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2006 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: Lindley
I did contact you through your email, but it may not have reached you. I would really appreciate any help you can give. You may email me directly. Thanks again. Jaanet

Posted: 2 Nov 2005 9:06AM GMT
Surnames: Lindley
My gut feel has always been that Thomas as a Quaker did not actively participate in the Revolution as did his sons William, John and James Lindley.

The only fact I have ever seen to indicate that he supported the Regulators is an item from the "History of Hillsboro, Orange County, North Carolina," the Regulators took 39 barrels of flour from the Lindley Mill on September 14, 1781. At this time Thomas Lindley had a store and post office in his home, known as the Lindley Store. Thomas died on the 13th or 14th of September so this transaction probably took place after his death.

Had Thomas been an active participant I don't beleive that the Quakers would have allowed burial and ultimately allowed the stone monument for Thomas and Ruth to be placed at the Spring Burial Ground. He, like many others would have been disowned for participation in the war.

If you are descended from John and Sarah Pyle Lindley I believe that the DAR has recently accepted John's lineage for membership.

Posted: 2 Nov 2005 12:21PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2006 12:50PM GMT
Thank you. I suspect that you are correct. I did find a Thomas Lindley on a list of Regulators - but, they did serve much earlier than the War. Unfortunately, my lineage is through one of the daughters.

Posted: 8 Dec 2005 4:05AM GMT
This is the information I have regarding this:

Thomas served as a member of the Provincial Assembly in Pennsylvania. In 1753, he and his wife Ruth and children moved from Chester County, PA., to the Cane Creek area of North Carolina. They were among the ealy members of Cane Creek Meeting and among the organizers of Spring Meeting in 1773. Thomas donated 6 acres to Spring Meeting.
In September 1756 Thomas engaged, by contract, Hugh Laughlin to build and put into operation a grist mill on the banks of Cane Creek, which flows into Haw River. Later regulaters took 39 barrels of flour from the mill. The mill building was torn down in 1875.
Thomas had the Post Office in his home, known as Lindley Store.
Some sources claim Thomas died on the same day as the Battle of Lindley Mill. The battle was actualy on 13 September 1781. As far as I know there is no record of the cause of his death

"Moores History of North Caralina" says that during the revolutionry war, Battle of Cane Creek Soldiers were housed in Lindley's Mill. On Sept. 14, 1781 the battle of Lindley's Mill was fought. This engagement between North Caralina Whigs and Tories was the last battle of the Revolutionary War in North Caralina. The records indicate that the Quakers of Spring Meeting tended the wounded. The Shock of the conflict was too great for Thomas Lindley: he died that afternoon. Contribited by Susan Lindley Howell

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 2:47AM GMT
Sorry, I haven't read message boards in a long time. I believe Thomas Lindley is listed as a patriot by the DAR. But what I really want to say...Is that you need to go to this place. every Lindley should go. The mill is still in operation and there is a memorial at the site of the battle... My family and I went in 2003, with my father, also Thomas Lindley and you just can't imagine the feeling to be there. The spirits of those who died still linger and the connection with history is an experience everyone should have.

Andrew Lindley Malcolm (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2006 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Sorry I'm coming quite late to this thread. Thomas is listed in the Centennial Edition of the DAR Patriot Index as follows: LINDLEY: Thomas Sr: b 2-25-1706 IR d 9-14-1781 NC m Ruth Hadly PS NC The "PS" means "Patriotic Service". I found this in the Mid-Continent Library in Independence, MO which has a very good genealogy collection.

We are travelling in the southeast this summer and I'll have to stop and take a look at Lindley's Mill.

Thanks
Andy Malcolm

Posted: 28 May 2006 2:36PM GMT
Dear Andy
There is alot to see at Lindley's Mill as well the old log house and many other sites including the graveyard and the church. I am also a decendant of Thomas Lindley. Have a nice trip down there. Tama

Posted: 10 Jan 2010 5:24PM GMT
Surnames: Abercrombie, Lindley, Babb, Sims, Kellett
The DAR genealogical database is now open to the public. If you search for the DAR page, enter it and click on the library page. You'll find the database as a link on the left. I wish it had been available to the public when I was doing my research! It took me five years to prove my lineage on my father's side. It took me two hours of research on the DAR site to find my mother's lineage to join!

That being said, it looks like both Thomas Jr. and Sr. have been discontinued as DAR patriots (in the official sense) because more proof needs to be found for their service. Thomas Sr.'s records have even more issues. I have been told that early ancestors were not as "vetted" as those who have been accepted more recently. I had an ancestor on my mother's side disallowed---he had a common name, and it seemed as though the "patriot" was a composite of two men who had the same common name.

I have Lindley ancestry, as well as Abercrombie, Sims, Babb and Kellett. I entered the DAR via the Sims-Babb-Kellett link. Mary Lindley and Colville Abercrombie were in my direct line---one daughter married a Sims, and the other a Babb. The Babb offspring married her Sims first cousin. Hard to keep them all straight.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions