Search for content in message boards

Garrett portrait not authentic?

Garrett portrait not authentic?

mark swearingen (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2006 11:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello everyone,

Many of you know that there are pictures posted on various websites that are supposed to be of Garrett Vansweringen and his wife barbara. I know that there were a few people who posted their concerns about the authenticity of the pictures.

I was recently in St. Mary's City and posed the question to Dr. Martin Sullivan, project director for the Vansweringen exhibit. He stated words to the effect that "we don't think it's authentic, the dress portrayed in the portrait is out of date by about one hudred years or so."

If anyone out there can offer up an opinion as to the authenticity or origin of the pictures, I for one would be very interested. It's been said that the portraits are from Swearingen descendants living in St. Louis.

Re: Garrett portrait not authentic?

Posted: 8 Nov 2006 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: Swearinge/Sweringen/VanSweringen
I'm afraid that I can't help. Did you find out anything farther?

I am interested in Dr. Martin Sullivan and the Vansweringen exhibit. What is it? Is anything on line that we can look at?
Are you aware of excavation on the VanSweringen tavern?

I heard about it years ago but have not been able to find anything on it now.

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 6:23PM GMT
Lola,

I have had no other responses to this post; I just wanted to put out the information that the picture probably isn't real.

You can go to www.stmaryscity.org; there is a little info on the garrett exhibit, which is supposed to open in 2007. Nice that it coincides with the 350th anniversary of Garrett's arrival in America.

My brother and i visited the site, and met Dr. Sullivan and saw the exhibit. For anyone who is descended from Garrett, and is interested in genealogy/history, it's like making a pilgrimage, something that you should try to do sometime.

I have a wonderful document on Garrett that I received when I joined The Friends of St. Mary's; I tried to email it to you, but I received an undeliverable message due to a server problem. I will try to send it to you again, it's a thing of beauty and a nice souveneir, my brother has framed his copy.

I will also be glad to forward the Garrett document to anyone else who reads this board and has an interest; just send me an email.

Mark.

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Swearingen/VanSweringen/Swearington, Sweringer/Sweringin
Mark,

Please try re-sending.

hunter1@scattercreek.com

Do you know if there are drawing or pictures of the "ordinary" in St. Mary's??? At one time, I thought I saw where they were working on the dig.

Hoping to make the reunion.....

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 8:15PM GMT
Cousin Lola,

I haven't looked at the St. Mary's website for a while, you would have to peruse it, I think you will find some info on the ordinary and all the archaelogical digs.

I sent you the Garrett document, if you have a good color printer and some high quality paper, it looks real nice, let me know what you think.

Mark.

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 10:19PM GMT
Thanks. I got it.
It's a large file so took a bit.

Those pictures are beautiful!!
Thanks

Re: Garrett portrait not authentic? to Mark Swearingen

Posted: 30 Mar 2007 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Swearingen
Mark,

Would you please e-mail the document on Gerret van Swearingen that you mentioned to me at:

digroots@gmail.com

Thanks

Posted: 15 Oct 2007 5:33PM GMT
Saw your post and would enjoy a copy of Garret's document.
I am a descendant of Garret. My mother is Swearingen.
Thanks Bruce

gibby289@yahoo.com

Posted: 15 Oct 2007 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: VanSweringen/Swearingen
Yes, - what document do you have?
Did you find out about the portrait?

I am a Swearingen - my dad's line.

Posted: 16 Oct 2007 10:49PM GMT
Hello,

Let me know what you think, I emailed it to you..

Mark
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions