John B. Windham (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2002 12:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Windham
01 Nov 2002
Submitted by:
John B. Windham
Metairie, Louisiana

Following are a few thoughts and comments that may help better utilize these two mentioned Windham Publications:

"Some Prominent Families with Alabama Connections" by Amasa B. Windham
This is certainly one of the most significant and most important publications on the Windham family. It is a manuscript rather than a book. It was written and published January 20, 1948, by Amasa Benjamin Windham of Selma, Dallas County, Alabama. Amasa B. Windham died in 1956. I first discovered and photocopied this manuscript at the Alabama History and Archives Building in Montgomery, Alabama, in the early 1970s. It was not a hard-back bound book but rather a 24 page manuscript of loose leaf typed pages stapled together with one paper staple in the upper left corner. This 24 page manuscript by Amasa B. Windham attempts to trace some of the Windham families back to the American immigrant ancestor who came to America in 1634 and then traces the England Windhams all the way back to about 1100 where Ailwardus De Wymondham is recorded in the Domesday Book of England.

Among other things, this publication gives an explanation about the origin of the Windham name.

This manuscript does NOT have a name index and I have never seen it archived in any library other than the Alabama History and Archives Building in Montgomery, Alabama. It has been written that this manuscript is also archived at libraries in Birmingham, Alabama, and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, but I do not know that for a fact and I do not know the locations of the libraries within these two cities.

Important Note:
While this manuscript by Amasa B. Windham in 1948 is one of the most significant publications written about the American Windham family, it is not without many omissions and Amasa made some very serious errors in his conclusions that he came to on some of the American Windham connections. Just about all genealogy publications have omissions, so that is not a big concern or disappointment. However, some of the errors on relationship connections in Amasa B. Windham's manuscript are very significantly incorrect. This helped caused inaccurate lineage charts for many Windham researchers (including Amasa B. Windham's own line) who have relied on Amasa’s work without proving/disproving those connections for themselves.

"The Windham Family"
by Amasa Benjamin Windham and Jeffie Windham Moore
In the late 1970s Jeffie Windham Moore of then Decatur (Atlanta), Georgia, asked for and received permission from the widow of Amasa B. Windham to use Amasa's 1948 work as the basis for the first section of another Windham book. Jeffie Windham Moore used Amasa B. Windham's 1948 publication as basis for the first approximate one-half section of her book. Jeffie Windham Moore supposedly used Amasa B. Windham's 1948 work verbatim and then "made some corrections, made some additions" and then placed that "revised" work of Amasa B. Windham as the first approximate one-half of her 1982 published hardback book. The remaining last approximate one-half section of the book was compiled and authored by Jeffie Windham Moore. In this last section of her book, Jeffie Windham Moore also made some corrections to Amasa B. Windham's work and she made some additions to the Windham genealogy.

I was corresponding with Jeffie Windham Moore and another Windham researcher, Mrs. William F. Flautt (nee Mary Windham) of Tutwiler, Mississippi, who was helping compile this book in the late 1970s. Jeffie Windham Moore's 82 page hard-back book with a full Windham-name only index was published in June 1982. This book was privately published and privately printed and there were only 50 original copies printed. I purchased one of the original printed 50 hard-back books and now have that original book in my home library. I know of no libraries where this book is archived but it may be in some library somewhere.

This book has been widely photocopied and and many people have a photocopy of it.

Important Note:
The first section of Jeffie Windham Moore's 1982 hardback book is NOT the same as the original 1948 work of Amasa B. Windham of Selma, Alabama, although many people try to claim it to be the same. There are many unexplained and unsupported changes that do not have any sources or evidence listed as the basis for the changes. I do not know if Amasa's work was changed by him after his publication in 1948 and before he died in 1956, or if someone else made these changes after he died and before Jeffie Windham Moore's 1982 book, or if Jeffie Windham Moore made these changes when she compiled her 1982 book. It is my belief that the original Amasa Manuscript was changed at the time of the compiling and publication of the 1982 hardback Windham Family book by Jeffie Windham Moore. The main thing for Windham researchers to be aware is that there ARE significant and important changes from the 1948 work to the 1982 publication by Jeffie Windham Moore. I also caution that some the most critical errors that Amasa B. Windham published in his 1948 work were NOT corrected in the 1982 publication of Jeffie Windham Moore. My intention, here, is not to just "criticize" other people's work but to offer caution to Windham researchers who may be relying too completely on these two very important publications. As always, it to best to prove one's own lineage research rather than just assume that all printed information is always accurate.

Re: The Windham Book--comments/suppositons

Posted: 20 May 2003 2:09PM GMT
John, I appreciated your comments on the Windham Book. Can you help me with any info on what corrections were made and what still needs to be made regarding the lineage of the Windhams. I am a novice family researcher on my Windham lineage and I'm experiencing difficulty tying my branch into the original Windham tree. The Windham Book focuses mainly on the Alabama branch, and my branch is from the Darlington SC area. I have family bible records listing my gg grandparents, William J. (1839-1906) and Sarah Windham, my g grandparents, Samuel Asberry (1869-??) and Elizabeth Holloman Windham, my grandparents, David T. (1899-1927) and Jessie Mae Morris, and my parents, William A. (1923-living) and Martha Mildred (Wasden) Windham. Any help in any area would be much appreciated.
Where might I find the corrections to the Windham Book lineage?

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2004 4:59AM GMT
Surnames: Windhams
Could you tell me where I can locate this book?I have been trying to find information on my Windham ancestors for awhile now,but it is slow work.I would really love it if you could tell me where and how I can obtain it.

Posted: 5 Jan 2004 1:48PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2005 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Windham,Young,Morris,Reynolds,Holloman,Wasden,
Email me at chris_wainscott@msn.com and I may be able to help you with the Windham Book if you have not already obtained a copy of it.

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 2:20AM GMT
I have been trying to find information on the Windham family,I read your post and would like to get more info on Amasa`s book.Could you tell me how I could obtain a copy of it?I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,Carol

John B. Windham (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2004 12:02AM GMT
Hi Carol,
This is not Amasa's book. Amasa B. Windham died in 1956. The book you are referring to was published in 1982 by Jeffie Windham Moore and it included some of the information researched by Amasa B. Windham who died in 1956.

When Jeffie Windham Moore published her book in 1882, she printed ONLY fifty (50) copies. I purchased a copy of one of the original fifty copies. All other of the original fifty copies sold immediately and is no longer available in the original hardback printing.

Since 1982, there have been many illegal (according to copyrite laws) reproductions (copies) of Jeffie Windham Moore's 1982 book.

John B. Windham
Metairie, Louisiana

Posted: 28 Mar 2005 2:33PM GMT
I'm looking for lineage of Benjamin F. ( 1836-1914 and Missie N. Benjamin (1845-1916) buried Lone Oak Cemetery in Beckham County, Oklahoma. I believe their daughter Laura Bond Windham (1887-1914) is also buried there and my Great Grandmother Cora Estella Richardson LaCasse was also a daughter, I believe............
Any info appreciated. Thanks

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 1:23PM GMT
I am having some of the same troubles being a novice too. I live in Austin, Tx. Born TX 1956, parents from Ark. GGgrandfather Andrew Jefferson Windham. Have traced back to Samuel B Windham born Va, lived Al, Ms, and decedents to ark. Hope you can help.

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 1:32PM GMT
I'm looking for Windham info. also. I have 3 aunts living in Stratford, Ok. all of which are in their 80's, I got some info. there, but found alot in the Pike Count, Ark. records. Through Arkansas Connections I found alot of info. you can email me at jwindham2002@msn.com and I will be happy to share some links. Joel
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions