Search for content in message boards

Family tree template for Filemaker Pro..

Family tree template for Filemaker Pro..

Jeannine (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2003 4:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been searching and searching for a template to do my families genealogy using Filemaker Pro. I want to share the information with my brother, one of us has a Mac and the other a PC, and we can't find any dual platform software we like. We both know how to use this database, so it would be really handy. If you know of any please let me know.

Re: Family tree template for Filemaker Pro..

Posted: 8 Jan 2004 6:19PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2011 12:48PM GMT
IMHO, using a general database program for genealogy is like cutting down a wrecked pickup truck to make a trailer; you can do it, but it will be awkward.

I see messages all the time about converting Excel files or Access databases to GEDCOM files, presumably from people who kept their data that way and now want to go to a real genealogy program.

I may be seeing a skewed sample of the population, and you may have considered this already; if so, please forgive me. If you are an accomplished Database Designer, you may want to design one just for genealogy for fun. However - have you considered getting Roots Magic (FOW's successor) or FTM for the PC and Reunion for the MAC, then sharing your files via GEDCOM?

If the genealogy programs you get can write GEDCOMs for selected individuals, as opposed to all individuals (most can), you'd be set; you could share data and you'd have a program designed for genealogy, with all the features you needed. You could then spend less time fussing with data base design and more time poring over faint census images, obits and old wills.

Jeannine (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2004 1:58AM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2011 12:49PM GMT
Thanks for the info. I am an advanced user of Filemaker, so that is why I was wondering if anyone had a template, so that I could possibly use it and make changes. I didn't realize that Reunion and FTM could both post to GEDCOM, so that is a good hint. I'll have to look into that right away.

Thanks again,

Jeannine.

Posted: 10 Aug 2004 2:04AM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2011 12:49PM GMT
Hi Jeanine, did you find a Filemaker Pro template that would work? I was thinking of creating a database that would house images as well. I haven't gotten Fielmaker 7 yet, still have 5.5, but I hear 7 is much better at image handling.

Or did you find something else that was better?

jake Benson

Re: Filemaker Template

Posted: 22 Sep 2011 10:46PM GMT
Any body has Filemaker Pro template for family tree. I am FileMaker Pr developer.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 10:37PM GMT
I am working on a tree using fm 11 stay toned

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 12:35PM GMT
I'm using FIlemaker 10 (planning to upgrade soon) to keep/organize old photos.
I use container fields for the scanned photos and have other fields for information about the people in the pictures. The advantage is that I can easily search through the photos (about 700 so far). The disadvantage is the scanning process (duh). I'm about to do 2 shoeboxes stuffed with photos that I just got from my mom.

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 12:36PM GMT
Using Filemaker is good to just hold the photos & information. I wouldn't try to make a geneology type family tree with it...

Posted: 8 Dec 2013 3:10PM GMT
have you developed it yet?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic