Search for content in message boards

Horners in Nova Scotia

Horners in Nova Scotia

Posted: 28 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jul 2004 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Horner
looking for any information about Horners in Nova Scotia. I think there were just two Horner families in the 1800s, so any information about anyone with the last name Horner would be appreciated.

I have lots of information but too many puzzle pieces missing.

Thanks.

Re: Horners in Nova Scotia

John H. Swanson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2003 11:38AM GMT
Surnames: Bayers, Wournell, Warner,
Hi listers:

I have a Sophia Bayers born about 1807 in Nova Scotia. . Her parents might have been James Bayers and Margaret Horner.

Any help in putting these pieces together would be deeply appreciated.

Let me know if there is a link up to these names.

Thanks;

John H. Swanson

June Malonson (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2004 6:48AM GMT
Surnames: Horner, Johnstone, Greenhatch, Greenalch, Greenelch
I am researching Horners also.
I am looking for a Mary Jane Horner possibly her married name. May have been a Johnston(e).
She married my Great Grandfather John Samuel Greenhatch in 1885. In Street Directory on 8 Edwards Street, in 1907 with son Freeman. LIsted as widow age 55
Freeman still there in 1917.

Can you place any of these people? Any help appreciated.
Thank you,
June

June Malonson (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2004 6:54AM GMT
I would like to discuss the Horners in depth with you.
Please e-mail me.

I may have some informaton for you. My Ancestor is Mary Jane Horner. Possibly a widow. her maiden name may have been Johnston(e). She married John Samuel Greenalch, or Greenhatch in 1885. She was Scottish. She attended Christ Church, Dartmouth, NS. May be buried in it's cemetary.
Lived for awhile in Beaver Bank (now Lower Sackville), Nova Scotia. Lived on Beaver Bank Road also called the Windsor Road.

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 10:04PM GMT
I am a Horner from Nova Scotia and possibly one of the two family's you are long searching.I too have a quary of my ancestry.You can find my great grand father in the 1901 census of Halifax his name being William his son is Joseph ... please reply

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 9:58AM GMT
Hello!

it's been so long since I have done ancestry work since we live far away from the US and Canada! it is exciting to think about it again.

> You can find my great grand father in the 1901 census of > Halifax his name being William his son is Joseph ...

Unfortunately, based on my research, I found that there are two family paths in Nova Scotia, mine that is descended from Alexander Horner who came from Northern Ireland via the British Army and settled in the opposite corner of Nova Scotia from Halifax (I still have Horner cousins in Digby Neck), and the Halifax family that has no connection with my Horners. In fact, I saw quite a few Horners in the Halifax area from the same family.

Where did your first Horner come from? I have all my notes in storage, and so don't remember the details any more.

Monica

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 10:05AM GMT
Hi,

I just read your posting after all two years. I don't have any record of a Mary Jane Horner. Did you find out more information where she came from? My ancestor settled in southern Nova Scotia (Dalhousie settlement) and then his children and grandchildren were in Yarmouth, Digby, Bear River, etc.

Monica

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: Horner Hiles Howe
My mother's family is linked to the Nova Scotia Horner family in Halifax - Martha Horner married to Thomas Hiles. Their daughter Daisy married William Howe my grandfather. Would be interested in knowing if anyone else information that might relate.

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 7:30PM GMT
Hi! I saw your posting. Sadly, though, your Horner branch is a different one that seems to be from the Darmouth/Halifax side of the island. Mine settled in Dalhousie after getting out of the British army (he came from Templepatrick, Northern Ireland) and my ancestors came from Alexander. They settled in the south and western part of Nova Scotia.

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 1:24PM GMT
Surnames: Greenalch, Horner, Homer, McIvar, McDow, Roach
My family is connected to the Horners in Dartmouth/Halifax.

I've seen marriage certificates for:

1874 marriage of Mary Jane Johnston - [age 23, spinster, parents David and Maria] and George Homer (likely incorrect transcription of Horner) - [age 20, bachelor, parents Elizabeth Horner].

The witnesses at this marriage were John McIvar (who I believe was married to Sophia Horner) and Emma Roach (whose parents I believe were William Roach and Jane Horner).

1885 marriage of Mary J Horner - [age 35, widow, parents David and Maria] and John Greenalch (this is the transcription spelling) - [age 42, bachelor, parents John and Susan].

One of the witnesses at this latter wedding was Emmeline McDow. It is possible that this is Emma Roach who married Charles McDow in 1884. Emma's parents were William Roach and Jane Horner.

I'm still trying to piece this information together to see how it connects to my Horner family. I trying to find the connections/relationship betwee Jane (Horner) Roach, George Horner, and Sophia Horner.

I'm interested in any other information you might have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions