Search for content in message boards

Quincy United Brethren Orphanage

Quincy United Brethren Orphanage

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 9:01PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2001 4:45PM GMT
Surnames: SPANGLER, MOATS, THOMAS, SWEIGERT
I am researching a dead end on my gg grandfather Henry James Wesley SPANGLER born 14 Jan 1836. I know at age 15 he lived in Quincy PA with a John HELM and his family. This is according to the 1850 and 1860 census's found at census-online.
I am wondering if anyone knows what year the Orphanage began, if he perhaps was adopted from there. I saw the photo from 1909 on the other page, but don't know if my SPANGLER came far before it was operating.
Thanks
Valerie

Quincy United Brethern Orhpanage

Posted: 10 Aug 2001 7:38PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2003 5:43PM GMT
Dear Valerie Acosta:

My wife lived in Mont Alto from the late 30's till the mid 50's. The United Brethern Orphanage was located on the grounds of the now Qunicy United Methodist Home & Village (Senior care and retirement village). She said that some of the children would come to the Mont Alto United Brethern Church and the families would take a child home for Sunday lunch (dinner).

You may want to write or call the QUMH&V about the history and the records of the orphanage. Peg said that as far as she knows the orphanage closed because of lack of funds. They treated the children with love and care but they could not raise sufficent funds to keep going. Contact QUMH&V at (717) 749-3151, address is P.O. Box 217, Quincy, PA 17247-0217 - John Fry, Administrator.

You might want to contact the library in Waynesboro the address is L. DEAN CALIMER COLLECTION in the PENNSYLVANIA ROOM of the Alexander Hamilton Memorial Free Library 45 E. Main St., Waynesboro, PA 17268 - Phone (717) 762-3335. Mr. Calimer is a researcher/genealogist who, after he has completed an assignment, donates the results of his research to the library. His address is 136 N. Potomac St., Waynesboro, 17268 - Phone (717) 762-6736.

The PENNSYLVANIA ROOM is loaded with Franklin Co. PA genealogical information as well county historical information. If you are in the area it is a worth while visit. Ask if they have a SPANGLER file. They may also be able to answer some of your historical questions.

Good Luck, Jack & Peg

Re: Quincy United Brethern Orhpanage

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 2:07AM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2001 4:45PM GMT
Thanks for all the information, addresses and telephone numbers. I will be following up here. Its fantastic.
Valerie

Re: Quincy United Brethern Orhpanage

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2001 5:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Valerie, In reference to your question about the start of the orphanage; it was established in 1906. I was raised there from 1952 to 1965. There was a report published every year called the Annual Day Report, which would list the names and home towns of all the children. I have some of those reports back til 1927. If you would like me to check something for you, please state the year or years and I'll check and see if I have the info. Good luck, Carol

Re: Quincy United Brethren Orphanage

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2001 5:33AM GMT
Valerie, I reread your question and I see that the date you ask about is prior to the existence of the orphanage. As I said in the other post, the orphanage was not established until 1906. Sorry, but I think you're still at a dead end. Carol

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2001 10:10AM GMT
Jack and Peg, The only correction I would make to your answer to Valerie's inquiry is that I think the administrator to the Retirement Home at Quincy is Kenneth Bricker. I can use the info you gave her about the library in Waynesboro. It is difficult to obtain info about the orphanage because unfortunately, when the orphanage closed in 1968(I think), most of the records of the children who had been there were destroyed. The cause of the closing of the orphanage was not so much insufficent funds as it was insufficent children. With the advent of more foster care you did not have the children coming to the home thru the churches as had been the case in the past. The state and the courts became more involved in the running of the home so that alot of the children who came in the later years, came thru the court system. It may be that certain aspects with the admistration of the home became more expensive, ie safety and health codes, from the state, caused an increase in expenses. Carol

Posted: 18 Aug 2001 7:11AM GMT
Surnames: Reed, McFerren, Hamilton, Bricker, Hill, Wade, Fetterhoff, Knepper
Thanks Carol for the additional information. I got the name of the administrator from this summer's newsletter. Jack

Jonathan Beatty (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2001 12:46AM GMT
Valerie:

Am researching my family tree and came across a note that indicates my GGrandfather, George Benedict Beatty, then residing in Quincy Twp., Franklin Co.,PA "Assisted in establishing the Quincy UB Orphanage and Home"

Do you have any historical info on the home?

Thanks in advance and, as always, Best Of Luck in your search!

Jonathan Beatty

jbeatty@hci.net

Posted: 7 Oct 2001 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: Reed, Hamilton, Bricker, McFerren, Fetterhoff, Wade, Hill, Yance, Knepper
Dear Jonathan Beatty:
If you go to the top of the message board, click on the Franklin Co. Board BUTTON, enter in the search box ORPHANAGE and click on GO...you will get a number of messages relating to the Quincy United Brethren Orphanage.
Good luck, Jack & Peg Novicki

Re: Search CORRECTION - Quincy United Brethren Orphanage

Posted: 7 Oct 2001 7:06PM GMT
Dear Jonathan Beatty:
I did not realize that the search engine is case sensitive. When you enter the word orphanage use lower case letters and you will get results if you use UPPER CASE letters you will get a 0 result message.
Sorry, Jack Novicki
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions