Search for content in message boards

TIBBETTS in Wallace

TIBBETTS in Wallace

Posted: 22 Jul 2004 10:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tibbetts
Jeremiah Worthington Tibbetts resided in Wallace and married his 2nd and 3rd wives there. 2 was Edith Ellis and 3 was Myrtle Raup.
According to the census, he was a cook.
Trying to find out if he is buried in Wallace and what his date of death was.

Correction-Jeremiah Wellington Tibbetts

Posted: 22 Jul 2004 10:10PM GMT
his middle name is Wellington

Re: TIBBETTS in Wallace

Posted: 15 Jan 2005 12:08AM GMT
Hi Barbara, While looking for Tibbetts in my family, I came across your Tibbetts and noticed you indicated he was living in Wallace Idaho. I am from Idaho originally so took the time to do some checking and think I have found your Jeremiah.

1920 Census Records for Wallace, Shoshone County, Idaho show Jeremiah Tibbetts, 69, single, est. birth year 1850 born New York. Father born New York, Mother born Pennsylvania.
Occupation was listed as Prospector/ Miner.

I went to the Mormon website and found an entry for him showing his birthday as February 11, (only the year was 1859) not 1850.

The Idaho death index show a record for John J. Tibbetts, born February 11, 1850 - died March 17, 1937 in Wallace, Shoshone County, Idaho. Certificate #103491.

Don't know if Jeremiah went by John, but I think this could be him. It could be something to check out. Good luck. Marjorie

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 12:39AM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2012 5:52AM GMT
Hi, I think it is him too. I find in Wallace, Shoshone, Idaho starting in the 1900 Fed Census. He seemed to vary his name, from John to Jeremiah to J Wellington. According to my family paper they said he went to Skagway Alaska in 1897 looking for gold. I am not sure if he was deliberately lying about his origins or what--he had a wife and kids before scooting off to Idaho, and it seems to me that he either did not want to be found or wanted to invent a new life. His first wife Flora listed herself as a widow in the 1900 and 1910 Fed Census (she died in 1918), and it doesn't seem there was interaction between Jeremiah/John/Wellington and his kids.

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 12:53AM GMT
It's probably him, just wonder what happened to 2nd wife. He seemed to be a "love em and leave em" guy.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 5:02AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2012 5:55AM GMT
Surnames: Tibbetts, Lingenfelter, Dull, Ellis, Raup
Did some more work on Jeremiah "John" Wellie (my 2nd great grand uncle) and discovered that he had at least TWO wives before ending up in Idaho, where he had 2 more wives.

First wife was Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lingenfelter, who he married in the Indianapolis area in 1876. They got married very young (both 17) and they had two children (Mabel and Clyde). (About Lizzie and those children: Lizzie went on to marry Anthony Kuhry and they lived out their remaining years in San Diego. Her daughter Mabel Tibbetts married Edward Everett Horton and lived in San Diego the rest of her life (no children). Son Clyde Tibbetts married Blanche Smee in Long Beach, CA and was working in January 1912 as a "launch engineer"/tour guide off the coast from Rancho Palos Verdes/Los Angeles harbor, when he was washed away by a large wave/swell and was never found (he did save the tourists though!). He had an infant son by then, Paul Ellis Tibbetts, and an unborn daughter Dortha who was born after his death.)

Anyway, I'm assuming Jeremiah then left Lizzie about 1879, and immediately took up with Flora Dull in Bremer County, Iowa, having a child (Leta) with her within a year of son Clyde's birth. Jeremiah and Flora were part of the Tibbetts family that left for San Diego, California abt 1882/1883. Jeremiah had 4 children with Flora (Leta, Mabel, Carl Oscar, and Glenn Haven, the first three in San Diego) and then left her sometime after she became pregnant with Glenn in 1888. She remained back in Iowa until the 1910's, when she came to live with Glenn in Seattle where she died in 1918.

By 1894 his first wife Lizzie had come to San Diego and sued him for divorce on the ground for failure to provide. So he was either a bigamist or lived "in sin" with Flora.

I think I've figured out 3rd wife/woman Edith M Ellis--she was the 2nd wife/widow of Civil War vet Daniel Dodge Ellis, and after her marriage to Tibbetts was over she went back to being called Edith Ellis (collecting civil war pension). I don't know her maiden name. She died in Marion County, Oregon in 1934, so if anyone wants to get that death cert it might have her maiden name on that.

4th woman/wife was Myrtle Katherine Edwards, divorcee of Edward Raup. Her brother Frank J Edwards was kind of a business bigwig in Shoshone County, Idaho during that time. Not sure how legit that marriage really was, as it is not entirely clear to me that she divorced Edward Raup or was just separated, as she was back with Edward in 1920 (but then married James Bailey in 1921??). I guess Wellie met his match with that lady lol

It seems like it was always a soap opera with this guy, seriously.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 4:52PM GMT
Thanks for all that info! I knew he was a "wily" kind of guy, and I never could find anything out on Myrtle. I've tried to get someone in the Wallace area to check out his burial, but no luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions