Search for content in message boards

Hains/Hoehns/Haintz in York Co.

Hains/Hoehns/Haintz in York Co.

Andrew Hain (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hain, Haines, Haynes, Haintz, Hoehns
Looking for Hains (all spellings) from Germany that settled in York Co., PA abt 1750's. Many moved on to NC late 1700's, and then to Ohio. First names include: lots of John's (Johannes), Jacob, Philip, Marcus, and Leonard. They intermarried with the Frey, Schor, Rothrock, Hauser, and Koerber families. If you have even just one of these Hain critters, I would appreciate the info, as it is a real challenge to sort out these pioneer families on the move!

Hain

Steven P.Wagner (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hain, Rehmeyer, Bowman
I have have the name Hain as my grandfather but I guess we are not tied into each other. Adam came over (from Germany) in the 1850's. They came to and as a rule stayed in York county. I'm trying to find more from Germany.

Anna Haines

Posted: 27 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2002 2:57PM GMT
My grandmother Anna Haines died in York Pa. in 1925. I would love more info on her. Please email me at boju1974@aol.com

Re: Hains/Hoehns/Haintz in York Co.

Jane Shumate (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2005 4:43PM GMT
Here is an early Haen Pennsylvanian that you might be interested in.
Johannes Georg HAEN.

From the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church: New Holland, PA records. p. 6
Kraus, Eva Margaret, dau of the late Kraus from Germany married 24 Sep. 1751 to Joh. Georg HAEN, son of Joh. Georg in Darmstadt territory.
Instead of daughter of Kraus, Eva Margaret may have been the widow of Melchior Kraus, Eva Margaret, children from a previous marriage, and Joh. Georg may have gone to NC about 1771. They lived just west of Winston Salem and attended Shiloh Lutheran Church in Lewisville, NC. Fellow church member were the Hausers.
Joh. Georg and Eva Margaret HAEN had a son named Peter, born 1752. It is not know where this couple was in the next 20 years.
Do you have any information on Joh. Georg HAEN?

Posted: 11 Mar 2005 2:46AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2006 5:51PM GMT
Surnames: Hoehns, Hoehneisen
There was a HOEHNEISEN family living in York County in the 1750s. They belonged to the Moravian Church. As I traced their children and grandchildren in published sources, when the surname HOEHNEISEN no longer appeared in the Moravian Church records, there was a HOEHNS family with the same first names as the HOEHNEISEN husband and wife.

I believe that one of the sons, perhaps Philip, or the minister who did the wrote in the church records, changed the surname from HOEHNEISEN to HOEHNS.

Kathryn Ricksecker Nielson

Posted: 25 Dec 2008 7:33PM GMT
I believe my great, great, great, great, great grandpa Andrew Haynes was of German descent and lived in PA, Possibly York Co. I have a word file that I pulled from a biographical sketch of Robert P. Haynes that includes lots of great info.

I would like to find out more about Andrew Haynes and his immigration from Germany.

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 1:02AM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2008 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: STORTS, STEORTS, STOTS, STOTZ, STOTTS, STURTZ
I too am interested in Germans in PA. What is the time frame? My great great grandfather George STORTS-STEORTS-STOTS-STOTTS-STURTZ-STOTZ (and other spellings) was born near Hagerstown, MD in 1769 and I have reason to believe the family lived near Gettysburg, PA before then. His father was said to have also been named George, came from Germany and fought in the Revolutionary War. According to old family notes written down over 100 years ago "after Penn made a treaty with the Indians they located near Gettysburg. Later came westward across Braddock's old road." I have started a STORTS DNA Project to try to connect this old German family. Anyone interested, please e-mail me at LSKwvhomes@aol.com. Linda

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 2:58AM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2008 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Haintz, Hantz
According to Keith Dull's Early German Settlers of -York, one Andreas Hantz /Hans/Honz was in york Co by 1762. His will was probated in March 1787 Dover township. He named wife Catherine, and children Johannes , Andreas, Jacob, Barbara,and Maria Catherine . Executors were Catherine and John Hantz.

Johannes was bap at Strayers Church 11 Nov 1763 sponsors were Johannes Spaar and Catherine Eliz Straherin . Maria Catherine was bap at Strayers on 30 Mar 1766 sponsored by Nicolaus and Maria Catherine Diel. Maria Catherine (Hantz) Diel was the daughter of Nicolaus and Anna Barbara Hantz but I can find nothing futher about their relationship.

In the records of First Church, York is the marriage of Andrew Heintz to Elizabeth Rohtrauf on 18 Feb 1783 and the bap of their son Johannes born 3 Sep 1784 and bap 10 Jan 1785. Don't know if these are the same or different families. Nanette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be the last to know - click here for the latest news that will have people talking.

Posted: 31 Dec 2008 7:02PM GMT
Please give us some more info. When was Andrew born? Who did he marry and where? Where did he live when he left PA if he left? When did he die? What is the earliest census you know for sure that he is in? Why do you think he may have lived in York?

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 3:05PM GMT
Unfortunately I have very little information on Andrew. I do have some info on one of his sons, Jacob Haynes. I found the following info in a book in the Kansas State Historical Society. It's an excerpt from a biographical sketch on my Great, Great, Great Grandfather Robert Patterson Haynes. Based on this info, I'm assuming that Jacob Haynes was born in PA around 1784.

"Jacob Haynes, a native of Pennsylvania and the son of Andrew Haynes, who was also born there and who traced his ancestry to Germany. Grandfather Haynes (Andrew) followed farming all of his life; his son Jacob employed himself as a mechanic, and was engaged in the amory at Harper's Ferry, in the employ of the Government from 1810 until 1837. In the meantime he served in the War of 1812 and participated in the battle of Blandensburg. In 1837 he (Jacob)emigrated to Ohio and located on land in the vicinity of Chillicothe, where he engaged in farming and became well-to-do. He finally retired from active labor, and died in Bellbrook in 1872, at the age of eighty-eight years. He was a Democrat of the old Jacksonian type, and during his younger years belonged to the German Reformed Church. Later he identified himself with the Methodists. The mother of Mr. Haynes bore the maiden name of Mary Reed; she was born in Philadelphia, Pa., and was the daughter of William Reed a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, who emigrated to America, employed himself as a mechanic and married a Miss Patterson."

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions