Search for content in message boards

LITTLEJOHNS BORN IN SOUTH CAROLINA

LITTLEJOHNS BORN IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Danielle (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2001 10:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have heard that my Paris,Texas Littlejohns from Lamar County might have been born in South Carolina. Could you please let me know if you can find or have found any info on the following names:

Spencer & Minora "Nora" Littlejohn and daughters Rosalie and Faith and son Bethel. Any Info would be greatly appreciated :):).

Feel free to email me.

Danielle

Re: LITTLEJOHNS BORN IN SOUTH CAROLINA

Posted: 19 Jun 2003 11:37PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2004 9:26PM GMT
There were a whole lot of Littlejohns who were born in Spartenburg SC and around there. That is where my Littlejohns came from before they got to Texas they made a stop in Union Co Miss. i have some info on them that I will share Aaron

Sarah Knecht Jones (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2003 12:18AM GMT
I am also related to the South Carolina Littlejohns. Let's be in touch with each other........okay? I descend directly from Messer Littlejohn ( b. 23 July 1815, in Miami Co., Ohio), son of Henry Littlejohn (b. 1780) & Sarah Dunkin (b. 2 April 1784 in Bush River, Newberry Co., SC.) The marriage between Henry and Sarah took place 8 Oct 1809 in Miami Co., Ohio.

Thanks!
Sarah Knecht Jones
<hawkmoon15@sbcglobal.net>

Stephen Brown (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2003 4:44PM GMT
My Littlejohns also were fron SC with a stop in Union County and thne to Texas. Please let me know the names of your's and I will get mine together and share with you. My South Carolina ancestor was Charles Littlejohn. My Great Grandmother was Nancy Littlejohn.

Thanks Stephen Brown

Sue Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2003 7:38PM GMT
Are you still seeking info on S.C. Littlejohns? If so, please give dates for the names you seek as many families use the same names in various generations.

I not only live in S.C. but own land which was part of the original Littlejohn plantation. Four Littlejohns are buried on the land which I now own.

Let me know if I can be of help to you. Sue Mathis

Posted: 27 Sep 2003 5:53PM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2003 1:17PM GMT
My Littlejohn line is:
Oliver (est 1660 - 2/9/1704)
Marcellus (1688 - 3/18/1741)
Lt. Samuel (1733 - 7/5/1813)
Thomas Marcellus (1766 - 4/1/1842)
Samuel Felix Walker "Corn Sam" (5/4/1808 - 9/19/1898)
Mary Elizabeth "Mollie" (7/16/1846 - 1/8/1928)
1st married W.F.D.B. (Frank) Littlejohn
2nd married Thomas Wilkins
3rd married Jesse Battle Gary (my g-grandfather)

Are these the Littlejohns belonging to your property? Which Littlejohns are buried on your property? Do you have pictures of these? It is very nice of you to contact relatives. I am very interested in your information. Thank you.
Mary Lynn Gary Skelton

Posted: 27 Sep 2003 5:54PM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2003 1:17PM GMT
Surnames: LITTLEJOHN, GARY
My Littlejohn line is:
Oliver (est 1660 - 2/9/1704)
Marcellus (1688 - 3/18/1741)
Lt. Samuel (1733 - 7/5/1813)
Thomas Marcellus (1766 - 4/1/1842)
Samuel Felix Walker "Corn Sam" (5/4/1808 - 9/19/1898)
Mary Elizabeth "Mollie" (7/16/1846 - 1/8/1928)
1st married W.F.D.B. (Frank) Littlejohn
2nd married Thomas Wilkins
3rd married Jesse Battle Gary (my g-grandfather)

Are these the Littlejohns belonging to your property? Which Littlejohns are buried on your property? Do you have pictures of these? It is very nice of you to contact relatives. I am very interested in your information. Thank you.
Mary Lynn Gary Skelton

Sue Mathis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2003 10:24AM GMT
I hope this answers several individual requests received for information.
S.C. Littlejohn family information:

Thomas, Molly, and two of their children are buried in Littlejohn family cemetery on my private property in Cherokee Co., S.C. This was part of the original plantation. In fact, there are a number of slaves (field stones as markers) buried close to the family. The Littlejohn Plantation was one of the few real plantations in the Upstate or Back Country, S.C. Obviously, most of the notable plantations were along the coast. I'm sure researching the location of this plantation is confusing to anyone not familiar with S.C. history and/or its place names. The cemetery mentioned above is located in present Cherokee Co. S.C. But prior to 1897, it was Spartanburg Co, Union Co., and prior to that , it was 96 District of S.C.

The cemetery on my property is located on the highest hill, overlooking the surrounding land. There are 4 gravestones. The gravestones have deteriorated somewhat, and one has fallen over and broken, but the names and dates are readable:

Thomas d. 1842 age 76
Molly d. Dec. 31, 1823 age 58
Nathan b. Sept. 2, 1801
d. Aug. 21, 1873
Catherine b. Mar. 12, 1799
d. Sept. 27, 1873
No spouses are buried with Catherine or with Nathan. They died within 5 weeks of each other--due to illness??

I have not researched this family, but I understand that Thomas Littlejohn was s/o Samuel Littlejohn and Sarah Cofer. Samuel and Sarah must have had about 9 children. Thomas (above) married Mary "Molly" Lipscomb. They had 7 children, one of whom was Elizabeth who married Felix Walker Littlejohn, son of Charles (her father's brother) and susannah Nuckolls. Felix and Elizabeth had a daughter, Mary who married Alberry Turner. It was from Mary Turner (prior to her death in 1914) that my family bought a small part of the original plantation. I have seen a copy of the will (or dowry) proving her ownership of the land. That document even named the slaves she was to receive.

Located on this property is a house built by Littlejohn slaves. There was a 2nd house there once, but I could not pinpoint the exact location today.

I have recently had the opportunity to accompany a Littlejohn descendant on a visit to the cemetery and a limited tour of the farmland I own. Although 82 or 83 years of age, he out-walked me--roughly 15 years his junior. He is spry, witty, and intelligent, and I feel honored to know him. The Littlejohns are truly a facinating family.

For those of you looking for the burial places of other Littlejohns, I do understand that other private Littlejohn cemeteries like this one do exist. They could be located in Cherokee Co or in Union Co., S.C. I can't be specific about that. I just have not researched that info. As I stated, my only connection to the family is that I own a small part of what was once their vast land holdings.

As I said, this is quite a family. Sue Mathis

Tom Littlejohn (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2003 11:34PM GMT
Mrs Mathis, thanks for info about The Thomas Littlejohn burial location. He is my GGGGrandfather. Please contact me at: twlj@knology.net.

Posted: 16 Nov 2003 6:20AM GMT
Surnames: Littlejohn, Lipscomb, Orr family
do you know of any of these names. my family roots are in South Carolina in spartasbugh county. my greatgrandparents are Van and Villa Orr. My grandfather is Frank Orr. My grandmother last name was Lipscomb. My father name is AC Littlejohn, his birth name was Asa Orr. He was born in 1932 and said his birth mother died a couple days after giving birth to him. Frank Orr left my father. He was raised by Sam Littlejohn and his wife I forgot the name. I don't think they had kids together but had kids from past marriages. I heard sam died sometime in the 1960's. Also Frank Orr had a brother named Bob Orr who had a daughter named Luciele my cousin who died in either 1990 or 1992.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions