Search for content in message boards

Voss ancestors

Voss ancestors

Posted: 4 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:28AM GMT
Surnames: VOSS
I have begun a search of my own lines which I can trace back to Denmark and Germany late 18th century. Does anyone out there have links to the VOSS name in Aabenraa, Denmark, around 1815 to 1860? Earlier connections seem to be at Killinshusen, Denmark (Marse VOSS, b21 Jul 1815). Father is Julius Marx VOSS.

David B Voss

Voss ancestors

Maren Child (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: VOSS, ENMERK-JENSEN
Birth: 1815 ? Crondorf, Kellinghusen in Holstein

Death: 1884 Aabenraa

Marriage: 28 Sep 1849 Aabenraa to Botilla Enmerk-Jensen Birth: 7 Jul 1825 Aabenraa

Death: 16 Nov 1865 Aabenraa
Children: Marx Voss, b. 1850, Denmark, m. Maren Neilson 1875

I will be putting a page up on Rootsweb soon but don't have much more information than this.

VOSS ancestors

Posted: 30 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:28AM GMT
Surnames: VOSS

According to the records I have been able to collect so far, the issue of Marx (Mads in some records) VOSS and Maria Botilla JENSEN (JENSEN ENEMARK) were

Jorgen (b1847 Aabenraa - d1911 Kairanga, NZ)

Marx Wilhelm (the one that married Ms Nielsen) (b 1849 Aabenraa - d 1923 Karere, NZ)

Catharina (b 1851 Aabenraa - d 1940 NZ) (married Joachim
Heinrich BURMEISTER)

Hans (b1853 Aabenraa - d 1875 at war)

Christian (b1855 Aabenraa - d1919 Kairanga, NZ)

Sophie (b1858 Aabenraa - d1866 Aabenraa)

Anne Marie Christine (married Niels Peter OLSEN; b1860
Aabenraa - d1946 NZ)

Ida Margrethe (b1864 Aabenraa - d 1866 Aabenraa)

Jorgen was my g-grandfather. Does anyone else have clues to Marx (Mads) VOSS (1815-1884), his siblings and/or parents and/or other ancestors?

Re: Voss ancestors

Posted: 11 Dec 2002 1:40AM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2002 1:01AM GMT

julius 'groucho' marx, world class comic like myself, wel lworld entertainer! wasnt hsi family from germany? idneed they were.. he was born in 1890.. any of you related? they came to new york probably around 1870's late, or early 1880's.

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: enemark
Have you found any siblings to your Maria Botilla Enmark Jensen? We have recently found a Botilla Enemark in our lineage but have lost that branch (ending with her granddaughter Claire Bonemann), and was wondering if there was a link to your family.

Posted: 5 Feb 2007 10:07PM GMT
I have no record of the BONEMANN name in my database but the best-fit name (Anna Marie Botilla ENEMARK JENSEN) in my tree married a Mads MICHELSEN in 1833. I have records for one line of their issue (Jacob MICHELSEN) but not for his four siblings, three of whom were female. I have not pursued this line for some time due to other commitments.

My records, such as they are, show Anna Marie Botilla ENEMARK JENSEN had six siblings, one of whom was my gg-grandmother. I have not information on the issue of the other five siblings.

One day I hope to resume this line of enquiry but if you think we are referring to the same people I would be interested in comparing notes further. The difficulty that arises in making these comparisons is the old patronymic naming conventions of Denmark. Although the edict requiring permanent names was promulagated in the 18th century, patronymics were still being used up to a hundred years later in rural areas. The ENEMARK tag was given to Anna Marie Botilla's father and his sibling but was given to only four of her siblings and may not have been passed further. Enemark was one of two farms of that name at or near Toftlund and there may have been others of the same name elsewhere. The JENSEN part of the name will have been patronymic so does not of itself confirm lineage.

Posted: 13 Dec 2008 12:35AM GMT
Surnames: voss gettway
Hi i am working on tracing my roots and found out that my grandfather had the last name voss and so did his father
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions