Search for content in message boards

Can't find a grave - Christ Church Thornton

Can't find a grave - Christ Church Thornton

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 12:13AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Dalton/Gresty
Hi all

My aunt died when she was a baby & was buried with her aunt (aged 7) in Christ Church in Thornton Cleveleys. We have the record of the grave been opened for her burial but there is no mention of the plot location. I have spoken to the church and they say they have no records, I have contacted the diocese and they say they don't have a record. Surely someone somewhere has to have a record of who is buried where in a churchyard. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get this information?

Its my dad's sister and its been upsetting him for years and years that he can't find her and he's knocking on now and would love to give him some peace.

Thanks in advance

Re: Can't find a grave - Christ Church Thornton

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 4:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there,
Would you please give us names and dates..and parent's names too.
Where in the world is Thornton?England?
With some info then someone may be able to help you.
Elaine

Christ Church Thornton, Lancashire

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 8:27AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 17 Jan 2013 8:27AM GMT
Christchurch Churchyard
Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, England

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Thornton/ChristChurch.s...

Have you contacted the Cemetery Supervisor at the Council Offices, they are usually very helpful

http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/atoz/a_to_z/service....

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 3:27AM GMT
Something you need to keep in mind: Some records were not written, depending on who was responsible for doing so. I have a grandfather buried in a cemetery in Masontown, PA. Until I showed my sister, *I* was the only one who knew where it was. I had asked the current management of the cemetery and according to him, the one that took care of it at the time of my grandfather's funeral kept all the records in his HEAD. I am fortunate that I have a near photographic memory and situation of the funeral triggered a stronger than normal memory of the location. I supplied the information to the current cemetery manager.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 8:02AM GMT
Hi Firestorm
JFI in England, generally, (& most certainly in the last 100 years +)records are keept in 2 places - one is the Supervisor of the local Council where records are kept for the actual burial/cremation & also, at the cemetery itself by the groundsmen/grave diggers - although the later is always by date & sometimes if you dont know when, can be a little tedious to wade thro - it is not like the states, where these places are privately owned
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions