Search for content in message boards

Question About Cemetery Records

Question About Cemetery Records

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jan 2013 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson
Hello everyone,

I need a bit of info. I've heard there are "cemetery records" & one can look at them to find information about their relative(s). One of my questions is, just what can be discovered from a cemetery record? Second question is if they are a good source of info, just where would I go to find the cemetery record/information?

My great grandfather (John W Johnson 1860/1918) is the one giving me fits, as I can't find who is father/mother were. Would that type of info be on a cemetery record? He is buried in the Means Cemetery of Calhoun County, AR....but don't have a clue as to where I would go to find such records.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you might be able to give me. I really appreciate it.

Later, Debbie Evans

Re: Question About Cemetery Records

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:41AM GMT
Do you know his exact date of death/passing.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:46AM GMT
Is this your great grandpa?

Birth: Jul., 1860
Death: Jun., 1918

Family links:
Spouse:
Mary E Dunn Johnson (1868 - 1940)

Children:
Joseph Edward Johnson (1889 - 1956)*
Isaac Perry Johnson (1896 - 1969)*
George Daniel Johnson (1903 - 1960)*

*Calculated relationship

Note: Double marker with Mary E Johnson

Burial:
Means Cemetery
Hampton
Calhoun County
Arkansas, USA
Plot: Old Section

Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]

Created by: Jeanette
Record added: Jun 18, 2006
Find A Grave Memorial# 14642126

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 5:19AM GMT
The tombstone might have family information. As fr where the cemetery records are I am not sure.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:10PM GMT
Yes Debra, that is him. I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I had already been on "Find A Grave" & had that info. As I said in my post, I am looking for his parents & that is why I was wondering if anyone knew anything about "cemetery records" & what might be found in them. I appreciate your help very much though.

May you have a great day!

Debbie

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:38PM GMT
Thanks Katie, sadly his tombstone doesn't give any other info except for his name & dates of birth/death. ***sigh*** Appreciate your suggestion though.

May you have a great day!

Debbie

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 3:48PM GMT
I was trying to find out if that was him so I could search for his parents.

I'll see what I can do.

Deb~

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:06PM GMT
Oh thanks Debra.....you are too kind. I thought since I hadn't posted the info you shared, that you thought that was what I was looking for. Wasn't sure just how much info to give in my original post. Sorry about the mix-up.

Again thanks,
Debbie

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 1:47AM GMT
Sometimes I use the site find a grave.com. The only thing with this site you have to know the cemetery and you have to add the info. I looked on she Internet for cemetery records.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 4:09AM GMT
The cemetery itself may have actual records showing who is buried there and where they are buried within the cemetery and perhaps if they share a headstone or plot. Since you know the cemetery and its location, contact the clerk and recorder for that county. They should have a death certificate on file for the individual and if the informant at time of death knew the parents' names, they should be listed on the certificate.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions