Search for content in message boards

John RITTER and Elizabeth FISHER

John RITTER and Elizabeth FISHER

Posted: 31 Mar 2004 11:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ritter, Fisher, Sanford, Hoffman, London
I am looking for information on John RITTER and Elizabeth FISHER. Here is what I have:

1.) I have John and Elizabeth together in the 1850 census, Delaware Twsp., Northumberland Co., PA with 8 children: Harriet, Elizabeth Hannah, John, Susan, James M. (my ggrandfather), Thomas, and Mary.
2.) I have John and Elizabeth together in the 1860 census, Watsontown, Delaware Twsp., Northumberland Co., PA with children: Thomas, Mary V., and Sarah C.
3.) I have John and Elizabeth together in the 1870 census, Williamsport, Lycoming Co., Ward 3 with children: Thomas J. and Catherine.

According to information gleaned from those censuses:
1.) John (father) was born about 1804 in PA and died sometime between 1870 and 1880 since I couldn’t find him in the 1880 census.
2.) Elizabeth (mother) was born about 1809 in PA and died about 1904 as stated in daughter, Mary V.’s obituary. “Her mother lived to be ninety-five years old”

There were twelve children altogether according to Mary V.’s obituary, “she was one of the youngest in a family of twelve children and the fourth one to die.” I have information on 3 of the children:
1.) James Monroe RITTER(b. 16 Mar 1845 in Muncy, Lycoming Co., PA d. 31 Mar 1922, Lawton, Antwerp Twsp, Van Buren Co., MI) married Rosa Permelia SANFORD in Kalamazoo Co. MI.
2.) Anna R. RITTER (b. 30 Mar 1839 in Muncy, Lycoming Co., PA.. d. 22 May 1925 in Polk Co., IA) married William LONDON in St. Joseph Co. MI
3.) Mary Verdilla RITTER (b. 10 Oct 1851 in McEwensville, Northumberland Co., PA d. 04 Apr 1910 in Constantine, St. Joseph Co., MI) married Samuel David HOFFMAN in Muncy, Lycoming Co., PA

I hope someone can connect with this family. I would love to hear from you and share what I have.
Thank You
Nancy Ritter Rau

Re: John RITTER and Elizabeth FISHER

Kathi Wertman (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 12:25PM GMT
I do not know if this helps, but I have from ST. John's Delaware Run Lutheran Church (located in Delaware Twp) the following information.

June 7th, 1829
George Ritter took Communion

5/30/1840
William Ritter was confirmed

10/11/1847
Susanna Rebecca Ritter was confirmed

5/2/1847
Valentine & wife Elizabeth took communion

9/14/1851
Joseph, Debra and Rebecca Ritter took communion

5/9/1852
Catherine Ritter was confirmed

4/8/1854
Mary Jane and Martha Ritter were confirmed

10/18/1857
Margarite Ritter took communion

3/20/1884
Lizzie M Ritter Married John D Beaver

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 1:01PM GMT
Surnames: Ritter, Fisher, Sanford, London, Hoffman
Kathi,
Thank you for your information. Several of the names are are the same as the children that I have listed. I figured that my Ritter family was religious as 8 of the 9 children that I have have Bible names. I will file this info and see if I can match anything. Also, I have run across Valentine in my research before but haven't been able to connect as yet.
Again, thanks and good luck in your search.
Nancy Ritter Rau

Posted: 22 Jan 2005 11:53PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2005 1:55PM GMT
I have information that my great grandfather, John Hull of Snydertown was the child of Isaac Hll and Catherine Ritter. I don't have a birthdate for John, but I assume it was around 1826 or so which would make his mother, Catherine, born around 1800? Don't know if there's any connection. I'm searching. Thanks.

Posted: 17 May 2009 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: Hull, Thomas, Haas, Ritter
Yes, your information is absolutely correct. I, too, am a great-great-granddaughter of John Edward Hull and Mary Thomas. His daughter, Luzetta, for whom I am named, married Hiram Marion Haas, in Sunbury, Northumberland County, PA. John Hull was born in 1823 in or around Shamokin, PA and was a merchant in a store in Snydertown. (I can't find a birth certificate.) His father was Isaac Hull and his mother was Catherine Ritter. One of Luzetta's sons was named for Isaac. I have very old photos of John and Mary. Wher did you find the info on Catherine? I have been hunting her for years. I am new to Ancestry.com. Please email again, if you have more info. Thanks very much.

Posted: 17 May 2009 5:43PM GMT
Luzetta -I am so happy to see your post. I have been out of touch for a long time. There is a Haas reunion every summer in PA and I will be there for that at Knoebel's this coming August. I don't know if you are in that area. I have tons of photos of Luzetta and Hiram and their children. Margie was my grandmother, their oldest daughter. My father, John Penman, may know something more on Luzetta's mother, Mary, but I don't know about Catherine. I have no idea where I got that information. I believe I have one photo of Mary. I will be getting back into this great project as soon as I am out of school for the summer.
I look forward to more contact! Deborah

Posted: 18 May 2009 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Penman
I can't believe your great reply! I'm so thrilled. I can't email much right now -- an appointment -- but Aunt Margie Penman was my favorite great aunt. She was a lovely lady and so sweet to me and my little sister. More later.

Letty (Luzetta) N ewkirk

Posted: 18 May 2009 9:56PM GMT
Letty - Hmmmmm, I know I have heard my father, John Penman, talk about Letty, but I thought the Letty he spoke of was his cousin, his age. Do you know or remember Margie's son, John? He is my dad and he is still with us. Here is my home email DAS685@comcast.net. Wait until I tell him. I'm sure he would want to talk to you. Me too!!!! Let's stay in touch.
Deborah Penman Smith

Letty - My dad has never gotten over his dad leaving them and he to this day doesn't know where he's buried. Do you know anything about Margie's husband, John Penman? He had a daughter from his first wife, whose name escapes me.

Posted: 19 May 2009 8:39PM GMT
Hi:

I think I can help you. It's been so long. i do believe your father is my cousin. My real name is Luzetta and I was nicknamed by Margie's sister Nell Jane (my grandmother) Letty. I always thought Margie Penman had a son named Jack. I know Jack is ofter used instead of John.

I have a vague rememberance of a by visiting Margie at the home of another sister while I was there playing. I am 68. I never met Margie's husband whose last name was Penman. She was alone and living, I believe in Shamokin , when I was a child.

I know where John Penman is not buried --Pomfret Manor in Sunbury. I remember Margie, Nell, Marion and Essie, all the Haas sisters, getting together at a picnic and discussing Pomfret Manor. They all had plots there and were discussing the Haas family plot and reburying the grandparents there.

I got the feeling my grandmother did not like Margie's husband, who ever it was.

I remember that Jack -- this boy -- lived somewhere else and when I told grandmother I wish he would come more often to Sunbury she said it wasn't possible.

Sorry, I can't help more. I am now learning how to go through records. I have lots of old Northumberland County books, but some ifo is incorrect. My 1865 book is correct, but that is not what you are interested in.

Yes, I do want to keep in touch. Thanks so much for all your help. Anything on the Hiram Marion Haas family is most appreciated. I don't know what happened to photos of Margie. My grandmother had an old album, but it's gone.

Luzetta Weaver Newkirk
luzetta06@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 19 May 2009 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: Penman
So sorry, I forgot your other question. Margie lived in rooming houses, especially in Sunbury on 8th street. John Penman was from Pittsburgh, divorced his wife and probably married Margie. This Jack Penman, the son, had polio of the lungs, but recovered and married a Polish girl from Shamokin. They had a daughter Dorothy who went to the University of South Carolina. Does that make any sense?

Luzetta
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions