Search for content in message boards

Harrison Cemetery, Silas, Choctaw County, Alabama

Harrison Cemetery, Silas, Choctaw County, Alabama

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 10:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harrison
I'm looking for any information on Jefferson Harrison (b. 6 Jan 1801, d.17 Jun 1875) and his son George W. Harrison (b.6 Aug 1844, d. 21 Jul 1862). They are buried in Harrison Cemetery. Was George in the Civil War?

Re: Harrison Cemetery, Silas, Choctaw County, Alabama

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 3:34AM GMT
I found Jefferson and his wife Louisa in Choctaw county Alabama. They have 5 Children listed:
Virginia 15
John 10
George 6
Virtuous 8
Jefferson 4
I found them in the 1850 census. I'm not sure if this the family you are looking for but if you could come up with a little more info we might be able to narrow it down. What was Jefferson's wife's name? Were they born in Alabama? Even the tiniest clue could help.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 7:19AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: HARRISON
????????

Name: Jefferson Harrison
Side Served: Confederacy
State Served: Alabama
Service Record: Enlisted as a Private.
Enlisted in Company A, 3rd Reserves Infantry Regiment Alabama.
Sources: 425

Side: Confederate
Regiment State/Origin: Alabama
Regiment Name: 3 Alabama Reserves
Regiment Name Expanded: 3rd Regiment, Alabama Reserves
Company: A
Rank In: Private
Rank In Expanded: Private
Rank Out: Private
Rank Out Expanded: Private
Film Number: M374 roll 19

Rank at enlistment: Private
State Served: Alabama
Service Record: Enlisted in Company A, Alabama 3rd Infantry Regiment.
Sources: Index to Compiled Confederate Military Service Records

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 9:50PM GMT
Thanks for your research. Jefferson would have been 60 years old at the beginning of the Civil War---do you think he joined? I'm really interested in his 16 year old son, George W. Harrison and rather or not he might have been in the war. Since he died in 1862---was he killed in the war? I found many George W/George/GW Harrison Civil war records but many were dated after his death.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 9:52PM GMT
Yes, I believe these are the right Harrison's. My focus is only on George W (the son who died at 16) and Jefferson (the father). They are buried in Harrison Cemetery in Silas, AL. I'm trying to research the inhabitants of the cemetery to possibly get "historic" status from the State of Alabama. Thanks for your help!!!

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 2:38AM GMT
3rd Regiment, Alabama Reserves

Overview: 3rd Reserve Regiment, organized during the summer of 1864, was composed of very young men. Stationed at Mobile, it served in General B.M. Thomas' Brigade, District of the Gulf. In February, 1865, the unit was ordered to Selma. Six companies were assigned guard duty at the post of Cahaba, and in March attached to General Clanton's command. It was reported to be at Montgomery during April with approximately 300 effectives, and in May was included in the surrender of the department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. Colonel William M. Brooks, Lieutenant Colonel W.D. Bulger, and Major Whitfield Walker were in command.

I found this about the 3rd regiment...it was started in 1864 so i don't know if the one that EllinSpain found is correct
per page

Find a board about a specific topic