Search for content in message boards

Salamon Family tree

Salamon Family tree

Posted: 22 Jan 2002 11:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jan 2003 10:27PM GMT
My great Grandmother was born September 13, 1882 in Austria-Hungary, she came to the U.S. sometime before 1902, I'm working on a family tree, any information would be great.My E-mail is donnalaney@hotmail.com

Re: Salamon Family tree

Posted: 23 Jan 2002 3:47PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2002 5:11PM GMT
Hello Donna,

Just a couple of tips to get information you are seeking;

1) What is her given name? Ellis Island records have listings for 351 females arr (1894-1924) with surname SALAMON!

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/

2) What area of Austria-Hungary is she from? Austro-Hungarian Empire prior to WW I inc. all or part of the modern countries of Austria, Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, Czech Rep, Slovak Rep, Romania, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia and "Yugoslavia"!

3) That Empire had 12 official languages which means that there were at least 12 ethnic groups recognized by that Empire! Some SALAMANs are listed as Magyar (meaning Hungarian while some are listed as Hebrew. Which ethnic group did she belong to?

4) Where did she settle in the US? (we can only assume she came to the US as you did not mention this)

5) If she immgrated approx. what was the year?

The more info you supply the more likely you are to get a reply! Especially with such a common surname you want to narrow your search down as closely as possible to your SALAMONs as in all likelihood not all SOLAMONS have even a remote connection.

Robert Jerin

Posted: 13 Feb 2002 4:25PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2002 5:25PM GMT
Have you checked out Ellis Island to determine exactly when your great-grandmother came to the US? If you look at the original ship's manifest you might obtain the name of her place of origin, or last place of residence before she emigrated. What was her given name? The Salamon surname can also be found in Slovenia. Hope this helps.

Posted: 17 May 2012 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Salamon , Buhl
Hello Robert.I too am related to the Salamon family in Germany.I have little information though to go by.
My father Horst Dieter Salamon was born in Germany in 1940,his father was Friedrich Wilhelm Salamon and he married Frieda Gerke in 1939.I dont know Friedrich's fathers name but his mother was Mathilda Buhl.This all the information I have, hopefully someone will read this and make a connection or know soemthing which might be helpful. As a child I seem to recall hearing that my grandfather was Jewish.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:09PM GMT
Classification: Biography
My mother, Frieda Gerke, was married to Horst Dieter Salamon's father, Fritz Salamon. Her birth name was Gradtke.
Fritz Salamon was not Jewish. During WW II he was in the German army. This would not have been possible, if he or his ancestors had been Jewish. As my mother told me his mother's birth name was Salamon. Her husband "Buhl" was not his father.
My mother did not know who Fritz Salamon's father was. As Fritz Salamon was born in Duisburg it might be possible to find about it when having a look into the birth register of Duisburg.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions