Search for content in message boards

Looking for Brohl's

Looking for Brohl's

Posted: 10 Jan 2006 4:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brohl, Calmes and Philipp Jacoby
Brohl, Phililpp, wife Elizabeth Calmes, children Catherine and Elizabaeth immegrated in 1945 from Prussia. Daughter Gertrude born in Milwaukee. WI looking for Philipp and daughters Catherine and Elizabeth.

Philip BROHL, b. ca. 1807, Germany, of Milwaukee in 1850

Posted: 11 Jan 2006 12:57AM GMT
What other clues do you have about the family. Sometimes it helps to widen the search.

Census of 1850, Wauwatosa, Milwaukee, WI: BROHL, Philip, 43; Elizabeth, 46; daus. Catharine, 11, & Elizabeth, 8, all of the above b. Germany. Dau. Gertrout, 6, b. WI.

There's an online file for Gertrude (6 Mar. 1847 {sic, 1844, WI?} - 15 Nov. 1890, Cambridge, Isanti, MN, bu. Lutheran Cem.) m. 7 Nov. 1865, Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., WI, Philip JACOBY.

FamilySearch database of the 1880 Census, Bradford, Isanti, MN: JACOBY, Philip, 35, he & parents b. Prussia; wf. Gertrude, 33, WI; ch. b. WI: Margaret, 13; Frank, 12; Michael, 11; & John, 9; ch. b. MN: Philip, 8; Henry, 5; Mary E., 3; & Ida C., 1.

Henry MIGHT be the one on SSDI: Henry JACOBY (25 Je. 1875 - May 1965) last res. Hudson, St. Croix, WI; SSN issued Minnesota.

Good Luck!

Re: Philip BROHL, b. ca. 1807, Germany, of Milwaukee in 1850

Posted: 13 Jan 2006 12:25PM GMT
Surnames: Brohl, Calmes
To Marilyn Roth
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for Philipp Brohl's date and place of death, marriage and /or death of the daughters Catherine and Elizabeth. Gertrude, the third daughter, is my gg grandmother. have her history. I have heard, but not seen, that Philipp was with his daughter Gertrude in Minnesota during the Minnesota 1885 State Census. Looking for missing pieces, as well as the place of origin in Prussia.
Kathleen

Philip BROHL, b. ca. 1807, Germany, of Milwaukee in 1850

Posted: 13 Jan 2006 8:43PM GMT
What is the information from Gertrude's death certificate, obituary, and probate about her family?

Posted: 16 Jan 2006 4:44PM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2006 9:21PM GMT
I am also related to Philip Brohl and his daughter Gertrude. My grandfather (Fred Hubert "Bert" Jacoby) was the youngest child of Gertrude & Philip Jacoby. Kathleen & I are cousins.
According to Philip Brohl's naturalization record, he was born about 1803 in Prussia and came to Amrica in 1845. I am trying to locate the village in Prussia. I have not been able to find where or when Philip Brohl died either.
Gertrude Brohl Jacoby's death record gives very little information. According to the cemetery deed she is buried at the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church in Cambridge, MN. Do you know where Philip Brohl may have come from in Prussia?

Phillip BROHL, land patent, 1848, Washington Co., WI

Posted: 16 Jan 2006 6:52PM GMT
I don't know the origin of the family in Germany. FamilySearch has an early PROELL / BROELL / BROHL family including A. M. Gertrudis, bpt. 17 Mar. 1792, Tiengen A., Waldshut, Baden. Have you checked whether there is any information included in the application for a land patent for Phillip BROHL, Washington Co., WI, Twp. 12 N - 20 E, Section 2, NENE, 46 acres, 1 Sept. 1848?

Re: Phillip BROHL, land patent, 1848, Washington Co., WI

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2006 9:21PM GMT
I saw the description for that piece of property but I haven't followed through with it yet. I need more research time in WI !!

Re: Phillip BROHL, land patent, 1848, Washington Co., WI

Posted: 1 Jun 2006 9:39PM GMT
I sent for a copy of the land patent from the National Archives. It did not contain any new information.

Re: Looking for Brohl's

Posted: 2 Aug 2013 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Brohl Calmes
Philipp Brohl und Elisabeth Calmes oo 29.01.1841 in Münstermaifel; living in the village Wierschem, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany.
They got permission to leave Wierschem 28 Feb 1845.
With them was:
Elisabeth Brohl * ca. 1842; Johann Brohl * 1845; Katharina Brohl * ca. 1838 (child of the first marriage of Philipp Brohl)

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 12:35AM GMT
Surnames: Brohl
To reconstruct their "footprint" in Milwaukee for that era you should search out children's baptisms and/or the possibility of church burial records (simultaneously scanning for the Brohl parents as baptism sponsors for other families too). The Mormons microfilmed all area Catholic church records and many, not all, area Protestant church records.
Wauwatosa in 1850s means the township, and the Fed. Census description may place the family in a part of the township? Or check other names on nearby census pages against property owners showing on early maps of Milwaukee County / Wauwatosa Township. The UW-Milwaukee Library has 1850s map/s in their online digital collection.

http://collections.lib.uwm.edu/cdm/search/collection/agdm/se...

I haven't indexed any entry or reference of Brohl in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic