Search for content in message boards

Potter family in Chesham Bois Buckinghamshire Eng. 1700's

Potter family in Chesham Bois Buckinghamshire Eng. 1700's

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 4:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2011 8:56PM GMT
Surnames: Potter, benning, Davis
William Potter was baptized 2 Jun 1730, St.Leonard's Church Chesham Bois, Buckinghamshire, England. Father William Potter(born abt 1700)married 14 SEP 1727 Chesham Bois, Buckingham shire, England to Mother: Elizabeth Benning. Mother Elizabeth Benning-Potter, died 2 JUN 1730, assume in giving birth to young William as this is the day he was baptized. The father William Potter, appears to have remarried when young William Potter was four years old. The secound wife was Elizabeth Groom, married 22 July 1734 Chesham Bois, Buckinghamshire, England.
Possible relatives: Henry Potter married Elizabeth Kingham,14 APR 1745, Chesham Bois, Bucks. England, Elizabeth Potter married John Turney, 1744 Cublington,Bucks. England, William Benning married Sarah Wright 25 JUN 1742, Chesham Bucks. England, Sarah Groom baptized 4 JUL 1736, Chesham Bois, Bucks, England.
Young William Potter(1730-1780) was apprenticed 1746 age 16 years to a cook at the Mitre Tavern London, for seven years. The Mitre Tavern, located on Fleet Street,in London,was well known and hosted many noteable figures of the day, the Mitre was in the middle of the News district, and favored pub of the movers and shakers of the time. Young William Potter seems to have gone on well with his apprenticship problabley serving some of the most notable citizens of the day and in history, until, Oct 1751,Two years shy of completing his apprenticeship, young William was arrested, found guilty by his own admission, of theft. He over a short period of time, had taken money from a co-worker at the Mitre Tavern, the sum would equal $600.00 today. Young William Potter, only ask the cook of the Mitre to vouch for his work and behavior,the cook attest William Potter had worked hard and done well, but of late had taken to loitering and drink. Convicted of theft, and sentenced to seven years transportation, young William Potter, sat in Newgate prison until March 1752 when he was transported on the "Thames" from London to Annapolis, Maryland. the ships' Capt. James Dobbins, Ships' merchants Andrew Reid, James Armour and Alexander Mackenzie-oilman. The Maryland Gazette, 23 April 1752, recorded the arrival of the Thames, docking in Annapolis the evenng of 22 April, 1752, with 130 convict passengers, after 7 weeks at sea. Upon disembarking the Thames, in Annapolis harbor, young William Potter, becomes our Immigrant William Potter, it is unknown, who bought his seven year contract. It is yet unknown if there was any extended Potter family in the area. There is brief notes, in 1755, Anne Arundel Co.MD Census, William Potter is listed as a barber,which is a common profession for convicts with some skills and education. In 1778, Anne Arundel co. MD, William Potter takes the Oath of Fidelity. A 2Xgreat grandson, noted in the forward of a published book of poems 1908 "Armeggedom", William Potter married an English girl Nancy Davis, possibly Anne Arundel co. or Baltimoe Maryland or Fredericksburg, Fairfax co. Virgina. The union of immigrant William Potter and Nancy Davis, produced at least one son, William Potter(1767-1853), that moved West, after seving in Rev.War, in Lt Nathan Lamme's 10th VA company a foot and marrying Racheal Horner. They lived in Virgina, Indiana,Ohio and settled in Jackson co & Jones co.Iowa near the town of Brandon and are buried in the Hickory Grove Cemetary. They had a large family along the way with many descendants.
Immigrating William Potter(1730-1780) and wife Nancy Davis-contracted the plague in Baltimore, Maryland and died together in 1780. That same year at age 13 years their orphaned son enlisted in the 10th VA company a foot , under Lt. Nathan Lamme. This young patriot William Potter, married Racheal Horner, after the war, before 1795 and named his first son, Nathan Potter.
Immigrating William Potter and his son patriot William Potter, seem to have traveled and lived between Baltimore, Annapolis, Maryland and Fredericksburg, Fairfax, Co, Virginia. Patriot William Potter, seems to be enumerated near a Rebecca Potter, with son Rueban Potter in Fairfax co. VA, in one of the census and there are a Gillian Davis and John Davis enumerated close by our patriot William Potter, in the same census.

Looking for information on parents William Potter and Elizabeth. and any information on possible siblings and this branch of Potter. Would appreciate any information on this branch of Potter Family. Land records indicate there were Potter in Chesham,Buckinghamshire,have not found a connection yet.

There was a Potter family 1714 Defendants,Court of Chancery, John Potter, Joseph Potter,Jeremiah Potter,Martha Potter, Ann Brewer,widow of Watford of Herfordshire & Richard Frye. Lord Cheyne,William Leed Viscount New Haven and Ann Baldwin named in court document. C11/5/10.
Have not been able to connect to NewportPagnell Potter family or find any link to Potter family in Hertfordshire or Berkshire.

Re: Potter family in Chesham Bois Buckinghamshire Eng. 1700's

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Potter
Hello, I have not been active this last year in furthering my location of past and present ancestors. As of yesterday I am recommiting to getting back to it.
As I read your notes I have heard of lots of William Potters. In fact my great grandmother had a son named William. Just wrong dates and family. I dissend from the New Port Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, England, Potters. I am back to Nicholas Potter born before 1418. I don't know his wifes name, and I don't know whether records would take me back further. As I search for information if I find your William I will get back to you. Sincerely, Louise Williams

Posted: 17 Apr 2011 2:37PM GMT
I have found my William Potter was bp.26 FEB 1703 Great Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire,Eng.
Son of John Potter b.abt 1668 & Debrath____? b.abt 1671
Siblings were
Deborah Potter bp.10 JUL 1692 Gr. Berkh.Hert.Eng.,
Jeramyae Potter bp.27 AUG 1693 Gr. Berkh.Hert.Eng.
John Potter bp.27 MAR 1696 Gr.Berkh.Hert.Eng.,
Henry Potter bp.24 JUL 1698 Gr. Berkh.Hert.Eng.
There appears to be an uncle and aunt,
William Potter b. abt 1674 and Elizabeth_____? b. abt 1677
Their Children:
Henry Potter bp.12 JAN 1698 Gr. Berkh.,Hertf.Eng.
John Potter b. 1700, bp, 8 FEB 1706. Gr.Berkh.,Hert.Eng.
Thomas Potter b. 1702,bp. 8 FEB 1706,Gr. Berkh,Hert.Eng.
Jerimiah Potter bp. 8 FEB 1706 Gr. Berkh.,Hert. Eng.
Richard Potter bp. 29 FEB 1701 Gr. Berkh.,Hert. Eng.
Suspected Parents and Siblings of John and William Potter:
Jeremy Potter b. abt 1638 & Mary______? b. abt. 1638
their baptized children
Mary Potter, b. 1662, bp. 22 MAR 1680 age 18 Gr. Berkh.Hert.
married Thomas Danser 29 JUN 1681 Gr.Berkh.Hert.Eng.
Ann Potter,b. 1670, bp.15 DEC 1673 age 3 Gr. Berkh.Hert.
Sarah Potter b. 1685,bp.25 NOV 1713 age 28 Gr. Berkh.Hert.
married Robert Orten 2JAN 1718 Berkh.Hert. Eng.
There is a record of Jeremy Potter marrying Mary Geary
30 SEP 1656 Lustleigh, Devon, Eng. Devon is a long way from Hertfordshire.
I would appreciate any information related to this family if you find connections to the Newport-Pagnell branch.

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 1:16PM GMT
I sent a 2012 Christmas message to Louise Williams, and it was returned as undeliverable. I hope you are still researching the Potters of Buckinghamshire, our mutual ancestors. I hope you read this and reply. Shirley Smith

Posted: 13 Oct 2014 1:53AM GMT
Researching William H. Potter (looks like the "H" stands for Henry), who was born abt. 1857 in Birkenhead, Merseyside, Cheshire, England. I have no information on him prior to him coming to America. He would be my Great Grandfather and he married Elizabeth (Lizzie) H. Walls (she was my grandmother's mother) on November 10, 1855 in Milford, Sussex County, Delaware, USA. I believe I have the names of most, if not all, of their children. All were born in Delaware, USA. I am trying to make the connection from the USA to England on my father's side and it is proving extremely difficult. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Sandy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic