Search for content in message boards

Need Help Please!!

Need Help Please!!

Posted: 21 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jul 2003 7:58PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson
Does anyone know of a library in St Joseph County that I can contact for genalogy help? Is there a library in a closed by county that would include St. Joseph. Thanks for any help you can offer. Is there a website?

Nicolle Elster

White's in ST. Joseph Co. MI

Marilyn Hobusch (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2009 1:27PM GMT
Thanks so much for the website for the library at Sturgis, MI. I appreciate more than words can express.

Marilyn

St Joseph Co Library

Edited: 13 Aug 2009 1:27PM GMT
Hi Nicolle:

The Library has a website at:
www.2mm.com/sturgis/mainpage.shtml

The staff is very helpful and expressed their desire to help if you mail them info. They have some things on microfilm and a good history room.
An excellent web site for St Joseph Co is:

www.members.tripod.com/%7Etfred/mistjo.html

This is probably what you want to explore.
If you have anyone buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery in Sturgis, St Joseph Co, contact the secretary at:

City of Sturgis, Cemetery Dept, 300 E South St, Sturgis MI 49091. She has really been of help to me.

Good luck.

Judy

Libraries in St. Joseph County, MI

Edited: 11 Oct 2008 1:12PM GMT
There is also a great genealogy/history section in the library at Glen Oaks Community College, Shimmel Road, Centreville, MI 49032 I don't know the street address, but the mail should go through. I also don't know the phone number.

Good luck.

Patricia

St. Joseph Co. Library

Surnames: White, Crocker, Perkins, Wonsey
Hi Nicolle:

In case you haven't located a library yet, I found the address of the following in St. Joseph County, MI.

Sturgis Public Library
Attn: Karen
255 North Street
Sturgis, MI 49091

In St. Joseph county near Leonidas, MI I am searching for info on Royal O. White and Avis Crocker, his first wife, who were married in Genesee Co., NY; and the same Royal O. White and Sarah Wonsey Perkins, his second wife. Sarah went to MI from NY after the death of her husband, Aron P. Perkins in 1851 and remarried in Hillsdale Co., MI in 1853. Children were born from both marriages. Avis White died in Leonidas, MI about 1852, Sarah Perkins White died 2 Feb 1861 and Royal O. White died in 1864; Mary and Mabel Perkins died there in 1857 and 1869; Helen White, b. 2 Feb 1861, d. 1865 . Also reportedly dying somewhere in MI is Royal O. White, Jr. after marriage and children and older in age. Need dates and places of buriel for all.

Wishing you good luck in your research and hopefully you or someone have heard of my ancestors and will contact me at: maridawn@earthlink.net

Thank you,

Marilyn

PERKINS, Nathaniel, George Washignton, Lyman

Jan Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2009 1:30PM GMT
Surnames: PERKINS, Dorchester, Seibert, Lockwood
Thank you for taking the time to read this. We are researching our PERKINS line. They were living in the Jefferson County, New York area prior to moving to Michigan. We have a Nathaniel PERKINS (my great great grandfather) who was born in Jefferson County, New York in 1825. We have his Civil War Pension Papers which has Watertown, Hounsfield, and Brownville, Jefferson County, New York as places of birth. (All three listed.)

Nathaniel had a brother, George Washington PERKINS. Both of the boys served
in the Civil War. George Washington PERKINS was born 1820 in Rutland, NY. Nathaniel married Martha DORCHESTER in Dec. of 1848 in Hounsfield, Jeff. County, NY. Her ancestor Alexander DORCHESTER served in the Revolutionary War.

(My grandmother thought Nathaniel's family came from Pennsylvania. She seemed to think he was Pennsylvania Dutch maybe on his mother's side. She thought Nathaniel's
parents were Peter and {Ida, Eva, Iva}? PERKINS. She wasn't sure of his mother's name. Wayne and Kevin thinks that John was
Nathaniel's father????)

Nathaniel's wife, Martha Dorchester, is a descendant of Alexander DORCHESTER from the Revolutionary war. We do not have any info on the PERKINS family yet. We are
looking for other siblings and his parents.

We have all of Nathaniel's children's descendants found. He and Martha had
Harriet Alvira, Catherine, Caroline A., Emma, Bertha, Chloe, Jackson, Alfred,
and George Washington PERKINS. They belonged to the Methodist-Episcopal
Church in Hemlock, MI.

In addition, I have the info from Wayne Seibert. His great great grandfather was George Washington PERKINS. George and Nathaniel were brothers. He thinks that George Washington's children's names were Nathaniel, Rebecca, Jesse Jenks, Dora,
Janette, Elmira Celestia, Edwin Gray, Lyman Clark, and Franklyn Ackerman
PERKINS.

I have connected with Wayne Seibert who is a descendent of George W. PERKINS. He'd be my ? cousin. Also, Kevin O'Brien and I share the same Great great grandparents, Nathaniel and Martha DORCHESTER Perkins. Nathaniel and George may have a sister, Rebecca who married a George Moffit in Jefferson County, New York.

The following is not for sure our ancestor but we think he may be George's and Nathaniel's brother:
We just found an obit on Lyman PERKINS, farmer, sec. 14; P.O., Chesaning; was born in Onondaga Co., NY, June 11, 1812; is a son of Peter and Mary PERKINS, natives of Vermont; former was a soldier in the war of 1812, and received his pension until his death, which occurred March 3, 1881, at the advanced age of 93; Mrs. Perkins died in May, 1872; subject of sketch was reared on a farm, and in 1874, settled on present farm, which contains 70 acres; is a Republican in politics; was married Aug. 16, 1851, to Nancy Lockwood, who was born in Ohio, July 13, 1830; is a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Lockwood, natives of New York, and Ohio; of 9 children born to them 8 are living–Mary, Lucinda, Lyman J., Emily, Edward, Benjamin, Florence and Laura; wife's grandfather served in the Continental army, under Gen. Washington.

The PERKINS were originally from England. Do you have any info on this family?
Thank you very much,
Jan Johnson

Re: St. Joseph Co. Library

Posted: 3 Jan 2003 3:04AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2009 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: White, Lawrence
Hi Marilyn,
Would you contact me please. I think we could possibly share some relatives (I'm hopeful). My White line began when Charles Henry White (Divorced) married Mary E. (nee Lawrence) Davis (Widowed) in Leondis in the mid 1800's. They later lived in Tyrone Township where Charles died in 1892 leaving behind six children and his wife. Please drop me a line when you can. I would really like to talk.

Adrienne (nee White) Kaufman
akaufman@twmi.rr.com

Posted: 24 Oct 2003 12:38AM GMT
Hi Adrienne: This sounds interesting to me; also would you reply to the above address as I have a co-researcher who is related to the White family more so than I and it would be neat if we could all work together on this; also she has more White info earlier on than I.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Marilyn

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 5:29AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2009 1:35PM GMT
Surnames: White, Houser
Marilyn -

Please get in contact with me. I just learned today that my ggg. grandmother, Lovina White, was the daughter of Royal White of St. Joseph County, MI. Her 1910 death certificate states that she was born in NY but no information was given on her mothers name. She married Peter Houser of Constantine, MI. They had one daughter Caroline Houser in White Pigeon in 1866. See my thread under Houser / White. Thanks.

Christian Iversen

Chiversen@att.net

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions