Search for content in message boards

Tom Cassidy link to Greeley

Tom Cassidy link to Greeley

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 11:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cassidy, Dolan, Hunt
My family quest goes back to the 1840’s and the onset of the Irish potato famine. The Cassidy family like many others, were forced to leave Ireland or starve. My ancestors, Anthony Cassidy and Mary Dollan had a family of eleven sons and one daughter in County Cavan, Ireland. I understand that they initially settled in Scotland. Their son Maurice (my GG Grandfather) subsequently married and raised his own family there, whilst all of the older brothers headed for the United States at various stages. Unfortunately with a common name like Cassidy and the number of Irish families heading to the United States at this time, without their names I am limited in tracking them. One of the tales passed down a family member who has since died, was that they settled in and around Kansas City, as lawyers working on behalf of the Catholic Church had contacted both his grandfather, then after his death in the 1940’s, his father to try and settle probate case concerning relations who had died in Kansas. I have outstanding queries with both the Catholic archives in Kansas City, but as I don’t even know names or dates their task is quite difficult. That said, I have been able to confirm at least one Kansas connection with a marriage of one of Maurice’s brothers as follows:

Thomas Casaday, son of Anthony and Mary Dollan Casaday married
Ann Hunt, daughter of Danniel and Bridget Corcoran Hunt
on 22 October 1877 at (Old) St. Patrick Church, Kansas City, Missouri.
The witnesses were: Thomas O'Donnall and Bridget Madden.
The Priest: James A. Dunn.

Through the Ancestry.com website I have been able to track records I believe relate to the above Thomas Cassidy as follows:

1880 Census for Putman Township, Anderson County
Thomas Casidy age 36 yrs farmer b. Scotland to Irish parents
Ann H Casidy, age 33 yrs wife, b. Ire to Irish parents

1910 Census for Jackson Township, Anderson County
Tom aged 80 yrs farmer
Ann his wife aged 70 yrs
shown son also called Tom, a farmer aged 29 yrs b. Kansas

1918 Draft card for the son which gives his address as Garnett, and Greeley for his father. It gives a birth date of bith for Tom jnr as July 18, 1880. Document attached.

1920 Census for Greeley City, Walker Township, Anderson County.
Only a record for Thomas snr, and I assume that his wife has died. Also interesting to note he is staying with a Hunt which was his wives maiden name although there is no relationship recorded.

I hope that someone will be able to shed some light as to when Thomas Snr died (I assume in Greeley, sometime after 1920), and whether there was a probate case raised to settle his estate. I hope that the family searches carried out for any probate case would identify the names and whereabouts of any relatives. This would hopefully fill in the missing names and whereabouts of his siblings. These would all be clues that would help narrow down exactly in County Cavan the family originated from.

I would also appreciate some advice as to where I can look for information on what happened to his son, and wife.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance as being based in Scotland, I am searcing in the dark in systems I don't understand
Attachments:

Re: Tom Cassidy link to Greeley

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 11:59PM GMT
Surnames: Cassidy, Doolin, Sargent, Hunt
Found some information in some Anderson County Books:

"Anderson County Cemetery Book" by Dorothy Lickteig -
St. John Catholic Cemetery, Greeley, Kansas
Thomas Cassidy - Age 90 years 7 months
born King Co., Ireland
died April 6, 1922
(buried Monday April 10 1922)

"Greeley's Golden Years" by Dorothy Lickteig
June 25, 1914 - Mrs. Cassidy, sister of Thos. Hunt, left on the train here for Ireland, her native land, on Tuesday. She will spend the rest of her days there.
April 13, 1922 - Thos. Cassidy was born near Belfast, Ireland, and went to Glasgow, Scotland, at age 10 and grew to manhood there. At age 24 he came to the U.S., first to Vermont, then to Kansas City, and farmed where Westport is now. In 1865, he came to Anderson County, Kansas where he died Apr. 6, age 91y. 7m. 17d. He married Anne Hunt at Kansas City, October 15, 1876.
Three Children, 2 died in infancy, and Thos. A., survives. His wife died October 4, 1919.

"Anderson County Gleanings Vol. 2" by Dorothy Lickteig -
Information taken from an obituary for Mary Jane "Jennie" (Cassidy) Sargent.....sister of Thomas Cassidy.
Jennie Sargent (Mary Jane Cassidy) died July 29, 1924. She was buried in the Emerald Cemetery, Anderson County, Kansas. Jennie married Hollis Sargent on Aug. 3, 1869. Jennie was borm in Edinburgh, Scotland on January 26, 1853. She was the 9th child of Anthony Cassidy and Mary Jane Doolin Cassidy.
Jennie had 8 brothers - Patrick, Michael, John, Maurice, Thomas, James, Anthony, Jr. and Matthew.
James Cassidy died in his teens.
After the death of his wife, Anthony and Matthew emigrated to the U.S. and both died in the Civil War.
The other brothers stayed in Scotland.
The emigrants settled in Pennsylvania, later Missouri, then Paola, Miami County, Kansas.

Personal comments: It would appear that of the children of Anthony and Mary Cassidy, only Mary Jane, Thomas, Matthew and Anthony, Jr. came to America. Matthew and Anthony Jr. dying in the Civil War. And Mary Jane and Thomas being buried in Anderson County, Kansas.

Hope this helps,
Philip Sutton

Re: Tom Cassidy link to Greeley

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 12:38AM GMT
Philip, thank you so very much. This is much more information than I ever imagined, and gives me some good leads to follow up. The Maurice mentioned was my GG Grandfather. I knew "Jennie" (birth name Jane actualy born in Stirling 26 March 1849) emmigrated with her father Anthony to settle the estates of the brothers who died in the civil war, arriving in New York in 1867.
This information is very much appreciated.
Douglas
per page

Find a board about a specific topic