Search for content in message boards

Great new published Chaffin/Chafin genealogy!

Great new published Chaffin/Chafin genealogy!

Posted: 9 Feb 2003 1:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHAFFIN CHAFIN
Dear Chaffin/Chafin researchers:

Curtis G. Chaffin has published a terrific new genealogy, “The Family History of Chaffins in Virginia (1717) to Chaffins in Georgia (2002) and My Life and Travels.” Curtis’s book is over 300 pages and includes 2,734 names (these are not tiny pages; they’re full-size, 8 1/2 x 11s!). I have many published genealogies in my collection, but I have never seen one so rich in source detail, and thus so likely to be accurate. This is the BEST! Curtis spent 40 years researching his, and related, lines, and he seems to have either quoted in their entirety or to have abstracted every source he consulted. This book starts with “Cumberland John” Chaffin (c.1696-1773) of Cumberland Co., Virginia, and it follows subsequent lines, especially – and this is VERY important – those who migrated to Georgia. (Thus, there is very little on the descendants of the Christopher Chaffin who seem to have been the progenitor most of the Chaffin/Chafins in southwestern Virginia, West Virginia, and eastern Kentucky.) It covers extensively descendants of John’s son, Joshua Chaffin, Sr. (c/1720-1805) and his sons, Isham Chaffin (c.1758-1822) and Joshua Chaffin, Jr. (c.1745-bt.1830/1840), but also some collateral lines. (See also my message No. 1017, Feb. 14, 2002.)

Curtis’s book costs $50.00, and frankly, I consider mine a bargain. (I’m a descendant of Joshua Chaffin, Jr.) The cost covers copying, binding, and mailing, with a little left over to cover the 40 years of research Curtis put into the book. If you’re interested in buying a copy, send me an email (click on my name), and I’ll give you the details on how to contact Curtis. But please note: I will respect the fact that Curtis worked for many years to compile this book and that it is copyrighted; I will NOT provide “look-ups.” But if you’re not sure if the book will be useful, ask me, and I’ll tell you.

Curtis’s book has been my bedside reading for nearly three weeks, and I have only just begun. Great work, Curtis!

Scott Chafin

Re: Great new published Chaffin/Chafin genealogy!

Carolyn Cheney (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2003 1:51PM GMT
Surnames: Chaffin
Scott,
Sounds like a great book!  Does it include the family of
Eli Chaffin b. 1803, Holmes, Christian County, KY  
d. 1846, Elkhart, Anderson Co., TX
Buried:  Grapeland, Anderson, TX
Married  Nov. 10, 1828
Lavena E ROWE B.19 Apr 1808 in KY
D.17 May 1892 in Houston TX
Buried:  Grapeland, Anderson, TX
Carolyn Cheney

Brad Chaffins (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2003 6:58AM GMT
Joshua Chafin is also in my line.have back past joshua to 1690.Christopher Chafin.Of middelsex co va of Christ Parish Church.If anyone wants a copy email me for a copy.Brad Chafin

Posted: 15 May 2003 7:56PM GMT
Edited: 13 Feb 2005 5:12AM GMT
I, too, respect the researcher's years of work but $50 is a lot of money. I am descended from Tabitha and John Chaffin of Charlotte County, Virginia, through their daughter Ann Chaffin who married James Covington. Will this book be of use to me? Joyce Moore lillihavn@yahoo.com

Marsha Hooper (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2003 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: Chaffin
Scott does his book cover any of the Chaffins that came to Jackson Co.,TN? I am looking for my ggrandfather parents. His name, Joseph Marion Chaffin born in Jackson Co. around 1850. If this book covers these Chaffins I would be interested.
Thanks, Marsha

Posted: 8 Dec 2003 3:36AM GMT
Edited: 11 Dec 2003 7:17PM GMT
Brad,
I have tracked my ancestry back to my g-g-grandfather James Chafin (b. abt. 1817) in Floyd Co. Ky. married to Sarah Hall (b. abt. 1817) Floyd Co. Ky.. This is as far as I've been able to trace. Do you have anything that could help me?
Chris Chafin

Posted: 8 Dec 2003 3:43AM GMT
Scott,
I have been able to trace my line back to James Chafin (b. abt 1817) M. to Sarah Hall (b. abt. 1817) in Floyd Co Ky.. Is ther anything in this publication that might give me some help?
Chris Chafin

Bradley Chaffins (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2003 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: Chafin\Chaffins
I took a look and came up with some on him but I don't show his Dad or Mom.I show he died in Indiana,and had a few kids I hope this helps if not email me and we will find as much as we can on him to help in your search.Brad bchaffins@hotmail.com Sarah HALL
Sex: F
Birth: 1817 in KY
Death: 12 FEB 1892 in Brown Co. IN
Burial: Crouch Cem. Brown Co. IN

Father: Jesse HALL b: ABT. 1786 in Wilkes Co., NC
Mother: Rebecca Elizabeth FLEETWOOD b: ABT. 1795 in Floyd Co., KY

Marriage 1 James CHAFIN b: ABT. 1817 in KY
Married: 1836 in Clay Co., KY
Children
Susannah CHAFIN b: 28 OCT 1836 in IN
Alexander CHAFIN b: ABT. 1837 in Brown Co. IN
Nancy CHAFIN b: ABT. 1842 in Brown Co. IN
John CHAFIN b: ABT. 1845 in West Virginia ?
Isaac CHAFIN b: 11 OCT 1849 in Brown Co. IN
Infant CHAFIN
Jesse CHAFIN b: 1853 in IN
Savina CHAFIN b: 1856 in Midland, Greene Co. IN

Marriage 2 David CROUCH b: 1 APR 1811 in KY
Married: 27 APR 1861 in Brown Co. IN

Posted: 10 Dec 2003 2:06AM GMT
Brad,
Thanks for replying to my message. I have most of the info that you sent me although I'd forgotten that James and Sarah were married in Clay Co. Ky or where I got this. Do you have access to marriage data in Clay Co. Ky? This might be one lead that could help if it includes his parents names. I know that you're a busy person but anything you can help with would be much appreciated.
Chris Chafin

Bradley Chaffins (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2003 9:16PM GMT
I note that the Chafin and Hall Family mixed a lot at this time and I get that Sarah has a few Family members that go to Indiana with Her and James.I would say that James Mom and Dad was friends with Sarah's Mom and Dad I looked at the Census for Floyd co Kentucky for 1820 found 8 names .I think this is his Dad,Granddad and Family it list them like this Christopher ,John 1,John 2,David,Simon,Milly and ,Jordan or Jourdan .I don't know who is his Dad or what but at least this is a start .I would take a guess that Christopher is the Granddad .I think he is the oldest of the group hope this helps .when you get to the main line let me know where you fit in so I can add you and your Family to my tree.If you need more help just let me know I will do what I can take care Brad. bchaffins@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions