Search for content in message boards

Carter/Oneal/Hamilton's in Big Cane ,St. Landry Parish

Carter/Oneal/Hamilton's in Big Cane ,St. Landry Parish

Posted: 9 Sep 2002 3:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2003 9:40PM GMT
Seeking information on the following :Edmund B. Carter Baptist minister and founder of several churches before his death in 1866 wife Corinna Miller died 1862 sons Willis married Nancy Ryals, James Polk and E.B. Jr. daughters Charity M.married H.W.Patrick Josephine E.married William Fancher also a Baptist minister Mary Frances ,and Sarah Susan .Randall Oneal husband of Martha Carter and Samuel W.Hamilton possible husband of Harriet Ryals Hamilton long time resident of Big Cane. and buried in Big Cane cemetary.Any information appreciated.

Re: Carter/Oneal/Hamilton's in Big Cane ,St. Landry Parish

Aline McGintey (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2005 8:23AM GMT
JoAnn,
I am looking for a Edward O'Neil married to a Sarah McGinty.
I think in 1863. I think they may have been in the Big Cane area.My G-grandfather was John McGinty ,born 1842 married to Mary Barker. I can not find any information on thm. I saw you are researching O'Neil's so I decided to ask.Some of my people are buried in Big Cane Bapt. church.
Thank you
Aline

Aline McGintey (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2005 4:06AM GMT
JoAnn,
My father, sister, & my grandparents & some of their families are buried in Big Cane Bapt. Church. Would you or someone know how old the church is? I am wondering if my grandfather's father is buried there & do not have a marker. I remember going to the dinners on the ground there, when I was young. Brother Coats was the Preacher.
Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Aline

Posted: 30 Jun 2005 2:55PM GMT
Big Cane Bapt. Church was organized in 1846 by John O'Quinn. The earliest is W F Swords who died 1856. In 1930, the cemetery had become overgrown and portions were leveled resulting in the loss of many markers, according to Judy Riffel, who copied the markers in 1996. On the near side of the church, row 21, plot 19, John McGintey is interred. No other information is given. Next to him are two cement crosses with no inscriptions. Hope this helps. Sue

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 1:51AM GMT
My 3 g-grandmother, Sarah Adeline O'Quinn PICKETT and husband John M.PICKETT are buried in Cemetery at Big Cane Baptist Church. I knew he was a preacher but had few facts to go on. Their daughter, Mary Edith PICKETT married Benjamin Newton SMITH. Their daughter, Mamie Addie SMITH married Joseph Belone SIGLER. (my beloved Grandparents) I haven't been back since 1970's and don't know what is left of markers. I willl try and get in touch with Judy Riffel in Baton Rouge to find that list. The Foster's, Smith's, and others in my family are there. If anyone knows of Keller's, Toler, connected with this family please E-Mail me.

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 7:11AM GMT
My name is Kathleen Ann (McGintey/Childress/Henegar) Schmidt.
My father is Joseph McGintey
His father is Otis McGinty
His father John (Johnny) McGinty
His father John McGinty/on 1880 census is Magarity which I say should be Maganity, please look at the census

After that we loose the connection.
We know he was married to a Mary Barker, we have the Marriage certificate.
We do not know the parents names to go further.
My Gpa Johnny, we know his and his siblings names on the 1880 census,
Katie, William & John.
If anyone can help us go further past John & Mary Barker McGinty we would appreciate it!!!!

Kathleen Schmidt
Avogeldeer@aol.com

is better that you send me a message on ancestry.com or send a phone number to the above email i can call.
Thank you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic