Search for content in message boards

Shaw

Shaw

Rhonda Olsen (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 1999 11:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Dec 2008 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Joyner
Seeking information on Marquis Shaw who was born in Vermont about 1796 and comes to La Porte County, Indiana in 1830/40. His children are: Alluna, Almer, Renesslear, Edwin R., and possibly a Daniel. I believe he had a sister Catherine A or S Shaw who married Jonathan R Joyner in Vermont. Is their father Rufus who shows up in La Porte too?

Re: Shaw in Vermont

Posted: 17 Jan 2002 12:43AM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Raymond
Hi Rhonda,

I saw your query about Marquis Shaw born in 1796 in Vermont. I do not know if your Marquis is related to my ancestor, but I have an Enos Shaw who was born in 1800 in Williston Twp., Chittendon County, Vermont. Enos is the son of Rufus and Rebecca (Bradley) Shaw. I can't take either of his family lines back, but can tell you that Enos married Ruth Raymond and they moved to New York. They raised their family there and are both buried in Madrid New York.

In addition to the Rufus who is the father of my Enos, there is another Rufus who was born in Vermont circa 1800. There must be some family connection, but I haven't found it.

I have a very old picture of Col. Enos Shaw. If you find he is related to your line and would like his picture, let me know and I can email it to you.

I would be very interested in finding out information on Rufus, father of Enos. If you wouldn't mind passing on the census information (county and date), I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Leanne

Re: Shaw

Leanne (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2003 2:56AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2008 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Bradley, Button
Hi Rhonda, I don't know if you are still involved in genealogy, but I do have some info for you. I have Marquis Shaw's signature as a witness on a deed where Ephraim Button conveyed land to Rufus Shaw in Fairfax, Franklin County, Vermont in 1830. Rufus's brother and father - and I believe he too - built homes. The family lived mostly in Williston and Jericho, Chittenden County.

Rufus Shaw (and his wife Rebecca Bradley Shaw) are the parents of the Enos Shaw I mentioned in the posting just above this one. I have been able to take his line back. So...Marquis may be another son of Rufus and Rebecca's, which if true, would make him a brother to my Enos.

Please let me know if you are still around and interested in any of this. Thanks, Leanne
Posted: 29 Dec 2008 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2008 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw
Yes, I am still interested in this family. I believe Marquis is a brother to my Catherine Shaw. Are they children of Rufus? Please reply. Rhonda

Re: Marquis, Rufus, & Daniel Shaw

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 1:07AM GMT
Hi Rhonda - Boy it is almost fun to run into old posts and realize that even though it seems like you are not making progress with genealogy, you really are. :)

Marquis and your Catherine were not children of Rufus and Rebeckah. Do you know where in Vermont they were born? There quite a few families there.

Rufus is the son of Daniel Shaw (born 1740 MA) and his wife Rhoda Taylor. I do not know the names of all their children, only Daniel and Rufus. But, there were more children according to the census.

Have you had any more luck finding them?

Re: Marquis, Rufus, & Daniel Shaw

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 7:28AM GMT
No, I haven't worked on genealogy for awhile. This Shaw family was from Jericho and Williston, VT area. Rufus must be related in some way since he shows up with the Joyners, etc...in LaPorte, Indiana. Any thoughts? My new email address is gonefshn@bristolbay.com. Thanks for any help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic